Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-22-2018, 12:58 PM   #57
TheRedhead

Drives: 2018 Red Hot ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi kappa alpha View Post
No, you're what's wrong with society. You're fixated on the property, the resale value, time wasted, etc. All of which are insignificant compared to this young man losing his job because OP wants to cause a big fuss and drag him through the mud. Oh boo hoo.... OP's resale value is going to go down $500 and he'll have to be in a rental for a week. It's the end of the world . I don't see how you can value property especially something as insignificant as a car over a human life. Now let me be the one to say I'm sorry because people like you absolutely disgust me.
Typical frat boy who uses Daddy's money to buy his Camaro.

Get bent.

Built!
TheRedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 01:34 PM   #58
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi kappa alpha View Post
Slow down and think about that for a second.
I did. Didn't even require slowing down. Your point is....................?
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:54 PM   #59
matt fe2o3

Drives: 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_junkie View Post
B&S Hacienda. I talked to Jeff at the Livermore location too, but ended up taking it to the Pleasanton location as it's just down the road from me.
Ahh good. I'm sure they will take care of you.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:03 PM   #60
Azerlazer26

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540567

For my damage, they quoted me $1700. I would imagine it would cost roughly $3,000-$4,000 to repair.
Azerlazer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:23 PM   #61
jeep_junkie

Drives: 2000 Trans Am M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azerlazer26 View Post
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540567

For my damage, they quoted me $1700. I would imagine it would cost roughly $3,000-$4,000 to repair.
The body shop is sorting out a supplement with the insurance company. I'm guessing the total repair bill will be close to $3500.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:47 AM   #62
matt fe2o3

Quote:
The body shop is sorting out a supplement with the insurance company. I'm guessing the total repair bill will be close to $3500.
Keep us posted and update on how the body shop performance was.

B&S has a good reputation and would like to monitor.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:54 AM   #63
harrist5683

Drives: 2018 Black ZL1 A10
Quote:
OP: Since it seems that California is a Diminished Value state, I would talk to your insurance adjuster and see if your circumstance qualifies. Now that your new car has an accident associated with it, it will be significantly devalued if you ever decide to trade it in / private sell it. Some would say that you have cause to pocket additional cash.

Mod List:
Corsa Extreme Axle-Back | Borla X-Pipe (#60607) | Roto-Fab CAI | GM Dark Tail Lamps | GM Dark Third Brake Lamp | DD Dark Side Markers | GM CF Fuel Door | Rear Reflector Blackout Kit | Xpel Clear Bra | Modesta BC-08 Ceramic Coat
harrist5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:14 PM   #64
matt fe2o3

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrist5683 View Post
OP: Since it seems that California is a Diminished Value state, I would talk to your insurance adjuster and see if your circumstance qualifies. Now that your new car has an accident associated with it, it will be significantly devalued if you ever decide to trade it in / private sell it. Some would say that you have cause to pocket additional cash.
With respects and no offense, that is - Fake news.

While California does not expressly prohibit diminished value however that type of award is almost never given. The calculation for diminished value in California is not what the perception of loss of value is - but rather a factoring of the value of the repair.

You can look up the case histories and the California Appeals Court rulings and see for yourself.

I had two fairly new cars totaled this year - one my wife's 4Runner vs a tree , the other a guy hung a high speed left into my brand new Outback - at least in the second there was no at fault -but it was a weeks old car with 1000 miles on it...

When the 4Runner got totaled I looked heavily into diminished value as the damage was exceptional for not having airbags deploy and as a high value car my insurance wanted to fix it with their preferred shop.

I found out pretty quick that diminished value is not something California lends itself to and in fact you can really screw yourself in the adjusting process by demanding it - like I said - search and research is your friend.

I'm not an attorney and some of the slimeball attorneys will claim you can get it - the reality is attorneys take on personal injury, seldom automobile property damage.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:27 PM   #65
harrist5683

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt fe2o3 View Post
With respects and no offense, that is - Fake news.

While California does not expressly prohibit diminished value however that type of award is almost never given. The calculation for diminished value in California is not what the perception of loss of value is - but rather a factoring of the value of the repair.

You can look up the case histories and the California Appeals Court rulings and see for yourself.

I had two fairly new cars totaled this year - one my wife's 4Runner vs a tree , the other a guy hung a high speed left into my brand new Outback - at least in the second there was no at fault -but it was a weeks old car with 1000 miles on it...

When the 4Runner got totaled I looked heavily into diminished value as the damage was exceptional for not having airbags deploy and as a high value car my insurance wanted to fix it with their preferred shop.

I found out pretty quick that diminished value is not something California lends itself to and in fact you can really screw yourself in the adjusting process by demanding it - like I said - search and research is your friend.

I'm not an attorney and some of the slimeball attorneys will claim you can get it - the reality is attorneys take on personal injury, seldom automobile property damage.

Pretty sure you can't get awarded diminished value for a totaled vehicle anyway .

As you can clearly see, I don't live in CA, but I fail to see how simply asking about diminished value can have an adverse effect on your adjustment process? The worst answer you can get is no. I suppose if you're told no, it could be taken to court, but that would be the person's decision to pursue / escalate. Also from my understanding this is something you negotiate with the other party's insurance, not your own insurance or with an attorney.

I discussed this with Geico when I got into an accident a year ago, and it seems like we were told very different things. I just wanted to present the OP additional information that he/she may find helpful (or not). Didn't need a 'fake news' guy to come out of the woodwork.

*Edit* Here's an 'Explain Like I'm 5' resource on diminished value that coincides with my assumptions of the process. I've never heard of someone getting awarded DV for a totaled vehicle (there's no longer a vehicle in the equation to claim on), and of course this all varies from state to state. Definitely not 'fake' though

Mod List:
Corsa Extreme Axle-Back | Borla X-Pipe (#60607) | Roto-Fab CAI | GM Dark Tail Lamps | GM Dark Third Brake Lamp | DD Dark Side Markers | GM CF Fuel Door | Rear Reflector Blackout Kit | Xpel Clear Bra | Modesta BC-08 Ceramic Coat

Last edited by harrist5683; 11-01-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:19 PM   #66
matt fe2o3

Quote:
Pretty sure you can't get awarded diminished value for a totaled vehicle anyway .

As you can clearly see, I don't live in CA, but I fail to see how simply asking about diminished value can have an adverse effect on your adjustment process? The worst answer you can get is no. I suppose if you're told no, it could be taken to court, but that would be the person's decision to pursue / escalate. Also from my understanding this is something you negotiate with the other party's insurance, not your own insurance or with an attorney.

I discussed this with Geico when I got into an accident a year ago, and it seems like we were told very different things. I just wanted to present the OP additional information that he/she may find helpful (or not). Didn't need a 'fake news' guy to come out of the woodwork.

*Edit* Here's an 'Explain Like I'm 5' resource on diminished value that coincides with my assumptions of the process. I've never heard of someone getting awarded DM for a totaled vehicle (there's no longer a vehicle in the equation to claim on), and of course this all varies from state to state. Definitely not 'fake' though

Okay - I'm not going to get into an internet argument.

When the insurance company want's to fix the car and not total it - that's where diminished value comes in.

That's why I did the research. I was after a total loss on both vehicles - which I got at the end of the day. The 4Runner because of the high residual value, the Outback because of policy add-ons for full replacement value.

The diminished value idea you floated does not work in California. Simply does not happen.

I am just saying the OP is in California and yes, like it or not you projected fake news. Each person has to do their own research - but sir, you are wrong.

I threw you on ignore. I have plenty of time to share experience but none to deal with trolls.

For folks looking to California issued on diminished value:

Another limitation on diminished value damages in California is that your recovery is limited to the vehicle’s fair market value prior to the accident, minus the cost of repairs. For example, if your vehicle’s fair market value before the accident is $25,000, and the cost of repairs is $15,000, your recovery for diminished value is limited to $10,000. This is true even if your actual diminished value appraisal is much greater.

So here's the rub. You have a one and a half year old 40k Camaro with 5k of damage. Fair market value is 30k - right there abouts.

So you could sell it now for 25k as is.

Value of vehicle before accident: 30k. The repairs were 5k. So 30k minus 5k equals 25k. Hence no diminished value.

So it just gets worse from there. 30k re crash market value, 15k in repairs, new market value 15k (assuming worst possible case) - well shoot there's 30k pre-crash minus the 15k in repairs - 15k..... No diminished value.

I'm not saying this does not suck. What I'm saying is the auto claims issue here in California has gone the same way as Workers Comp. The regulations and rules have been changed to un-clog the courts and at the end of the day the guy that get's hit is a victim with no recourse.

Look it up and don't get fooled into false hope.

Anyway my suggestion in California is to buy new car replacement (not expensive) and after the first year replace that with better car replacement (still not expensive) and OEM parts replacement.

No all insurance companies write those policies. I use Safeco and they do. I will always file a claim with my carrier and let them subrogate. That is the sensible way with auto claim circumstances. IMHO.

Last edited by matt fe2o3; 11-01-2018 at 09:48 PM.
matt fe2o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:38 PM   #67
harrist5683

Quote:
Okay - I'm not going to get into an internet argument.

When the insurance company want's to fix the car and not total it - that's where diminished value comes in.

That's why I did the research. I was after a total loss on both vehicles - which I got at the end of the day. The 4Runner because of the high residual value, the Outback because of policy add-ons for full replacement value.

The diminished value idea you floated does not work in California. Simply does not happen.

I am just saying the OP is in California and yes, like it or not you projected fake news. Each person has to do their own research - but sir, you are wrong.
At the end of the day I was simply trying to be a good person and give the OP something else to consider. It's entirely possible that you have valid points, it's just unfortunate that you chose a condescending way to express yourself.

Feel free to DM me some of those court cases, and maybe you can convince me that I'm wrong. That way these fine people don't have to keep scrolling through your nonsense. I'm still not convinced that even you really know what Diminished Value is, but that's not the topic of this thread.

Mod List:
Old 11-01-2018, 09:50 PM   #68
matt fe2o3

OP please DO tell us how B&S performed.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:13 PM   #69
jeep_junkie

Drives: 2000 Trans Am M6
Quote:
Well, I am not even sure Diminished Value is an issue in my case. The total damage is somewhere around $3500. I did not file a claim on my insurance; instead I let Enterprise's insurer handle it. I specifically asked them if this claim would be reported and they said they aren't authorized to do so unless I ask them. The body shop said the same thing too. So I am not really sure how this would affect the car's resale value.

Quote:
OP please DO tell us how B&S performed.
It's taking a while as the insurance was dragging ass on approving the supplement. Work started in earnest on Tuesday. I got pictures today showing some progress on the paintwork. I've been told I might possibly be able to take delivery of it tomorrow (Friday). Fingers crossed.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:09 AM   #70
matt fe2o3

Quote:
Well, I am not even sure Diminished Value is an issue in my case. The total damage is somewhere around $3500. I did not file a claim on my insurance; instead I let Enterprise's insurer handle it. I specifically asked them if this claim would be reported and they said they aren't authorized to do so unless I ask them. The body shop said the same thing too. So I am not really sure how this would affect the car's resale value.

It's taking a while as the insurance was dragging ass on approving the supplement. Work started in earnest on Tuesday. I got pictures today showing some progress on the paintwork. I've been told I might possibly be able to take delivery of it tomorrow (Friday). Fingers crossed.
Nice - hope the car come back OK. As I have indicated B&S has a great reputation as a class act shop. Jeff did me a total solid on a total this year and knows his stuff.

I hate to say it - California makes damage over zzz$ reportable no matter what. That can be a gray area... You live here - you know.

By the way I have a lead on a shop in Oakland for auto electrics and I'm going to have them do a front and read camera install - wiring inside the headliner - to trunk - will post up pics!

If Enterprise works out - that's great. I always use my carrier, however I carry xtra endorsements. Not to turn this into an insurance thread - but here's the deal - at least for me. I have OEM parts and new car replacement endorsements on my policy.

Those endorsements are paid for by me - to my insurance company regardless of fault. So in a situation where I get whacked - let's say by a GEICO driver, GEICO could not care less about my endorsements. They only want to pay the minimum.

So I file with my carrier based on my endorsements and let them subrogate.

Hope to meet up at one of the east bay events.