Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers

Phastek Performance

Old 09-03-2018, 06:28 PM   #15
Bains

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6T
^ Exactly. Any car guy knows that the Camaro is the superior "muscle" car on the market and are able to overlook things like visibility. However, the normal car buyer looks at practicality over performance so things such as cabin size and visibility are important to them.
Bains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:40 PM   #16
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bains View Post
^ Exactly. Any car guy knows that the Camaro is the superior "muscle" car on the market and are able to overlook things like visibility. However, the normal car buyer looks at practicality over performance so things such as cabin size and visibility are important to them.
While this is true. It amazes me how many licensed drivers have no clue how to properly position their side view mirrors.

When positioned correctly, there is NO blind spot in the Camaro. Between the rear view mirror, side view mirrors and side windows, I can see cars go from in front of me, beside me and behind me with NEVER losing sight of them.

I think the US needs a revamped DMV driving test.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:51 PM   #17
HighIron

Drives: 2024 2SS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
While this is true. It amazes me how many licensed drivers have no clue how to properly position their side view mirrors.

When positioned correctly, there is NO blind spot in the Camaro. Between the rear view mirror, side view mirrors and side windows, I can see cars go from in front of me, beside me and behind me with NEVER losing sight of them.

I think the US needs a revamped DMV driving test.

Bingo. Between the proper use of the mirrors AND maintaining situational awareness, keeping track of traffic around you is no problem at all. In a way, the limited outside views of the car force you ( and that's a good thing ) to be more vigilant.

The only tough part is backing up in crowded areas, and for that, the rear camera is not only helpful, but absolutely necessary.

FWIW, I got used to "the lack of vision" in my 6th gens in about 23 minutes. I get into a sedan of some sort and it feels like a fish bowl by comparison.
HighIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:57 PM   #18
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighIron View Post
Bingo. Between the proper use of the mirrors AND maintaining situational awareness, keeping track of traffic around you is no problem at all. In a way, the limited outside views of the car force you ( and that's a good thing ) to be more vigilant.

The only tough part is backing up in crowded areas, and for that, the rear camera is not only helpful, but absolutely necessary.

FWIW, I got used to "the lack of vision" in my 6th gens in about 23 minutes. I get into a sedan of some sort and it feels like a fish bowl by comparison.
Same here, I was really concerned before I got mine (first Camaro) , but after about 30 mins and properly positioned mirrors, it was a total none issue, and I am on multi-lane CA freeways every day. I don't even use the blind spot monitoring , which I thought before I had the car was absolutely necessary.

AND I TOTALLY agree with you on the back up camera. I do believe that it is now a required piece of safety equipment in the US.

I also think that all manufacturers of sports cars with low front splitters should step up to the plate and make forward facing cameras as standard equipment as well.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:07 PM   #19
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
I cannot image why Camaro has fallen behind the boat anchor Dodge Challenger. What an ugly and outdated POS.

On the other hand, my small family owned dealer has been unable to get a single ZL1 allocation, and has several customers clamoring for one.

What's up with that, GM?
Pricing. You can get a fully loaded Hemi Challenger with leather, moonroof, T/A pack for $35k out the door even with a sticker $10k more. It’s easy to get a screamin deal on one.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:12 PM   #20
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bains View Post
The visibility thing is so overblown it makes me sick. I’m tired of hearing about it.

I learned to drive on a 1985 Eldorado. Google them if you forgot what they look like or have never seen one. You know the blind spots on that thing with the large block of steel behind the rear side windows, the thin slit of a rear window, and the side view mirrors the size of a thimble? And of course this was long before anyone heard of blind spot monitoring or reverse sensors.

I never wrecked it, learned to back it between two large trucks and parallel park it, and now I have all my monitoring on the Camaro turned off.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:19 PM   #21
smokinzx14r

Drives: 2018 1SS
Price is why I got my 2015 GT Mustang .. 30k was a great deal .. I passed on the challenger Scat Pack because they would not move off the 45k sticker price ... I passed on the Camaro because it was in the 40s for a 1SS and the dealer would not move off that price .. With sales so low on the 2018 Camaro's I was able to get my 1SS for 31,050 , sticker was 40,999 .. I wish chevy had dropped the price sooner , because my Camaro is a better car than my Mustang ..The Mustang was a good car but the Camaro is just a bit better at everything than the Mustang is..

I'm sure glad I got a 2018 because the 2019 looks like crap to me but so does the fish faced 2018 Mustang ..
smokinzx14r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:14 PM   #22
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
The visibility thing is so overblown it makes me sick. I’m tired of hearing about it.

I learned to drive on a 1985 Eldorado. Google them if you forgot what they look like or have never seen one. You know the blind spots on that thing with the large block of steel behind the rear side windows, the thin slit of a rear window, and the side view mirrors the size of a thimble? And of course this was long before anyone heard of blind spot monitoring or reverse sensors.

I never wrecked it, learned to back it between two large trucks and parallel park it, and now I have all my monitoring on the Camaro turned off.
I agree with you man. The visibilty issue is like beating a dead horse. I have had no issues with my car.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:54 PM   #23
Prodogs

Drives: 2017 2ss
Ditto

Overblown - position the side mirrors correctly and you get maximum visibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsChristianInHD View Post
I agree with you man. The visibilty issue is like beating a dead horse. I have had no issues with my car.
Prodogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:06 PM   #24
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Looks alone, I actually like the challenger better. It’s seems to embody the classsic muscle car look really well. As an overall package the Camaro is better.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:11 PM   #25
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
There is no real visibility issue on the 6th gen Camaro compared to other cars, and in fact this car is absolutely amazing, worth every penny in my book.

However, it's also a perception game, and I'd love to see some actual, genuine survey responses on why people chose a Mustang or a Dodge over our cars. I can imagine the higher starting price, bad dealer experience, rear seat legroom, slit-like windows and rear windshield or the small trunk opening all contribute in part, then the styling may not sit well with millennials, but this is all just conjecture.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:32 AM   #26
the_swiSS

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Is the 6th Gen really that expensive over in USA? In Switzerland, my loaded 2SS was half the price of a base M4 (Both brand new ofc).

Black Bowties - GM Fuel Door - Black Camaro Fender Logo - K&N Air Filter - Katech ported TB - GM Dark Tail Lights - GM ZL1 1LE 3rd Brake Light - HRE FF04 - Eibach Springs
the_swiSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:44 AM   #27
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
You guys remain hilarious. Listen to yourselves without the "my baby is perfect" thoughts in your head.

"If you drive it like a panel van with no rear windows, you can learn to get used to it if you just position the mirrors properly". or "I've driven worse".

It's a thing guys and for some it's a problem. GM will never share the "reasons for not buying". In fact GM has historically been bad at even addressing it internally. But being able to see out of the car is what make the car feel more open. It's a feeling. And people buy cars on feelings.

Name another product you would consider buying that when you first used it your impression was negative and someone tried to convince you "you'll get used to it".

Also there is a HUGE difference between Direct Vision and Indirect Vision (mirrors and cameras).

I do some of this for a living guys, even wrote a thesis on it years ago. It's a thing.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:12 AM   #28
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
You guys remain hilarious. Listen to yourselves without the "my baby is perfect" thoughts in your head.

"If you drive it like a panel van with no rear windows, you can learn to get used to it if you just position the mirrors properly". or "I've driven worse".

It's a thing guys and for some it's a problem. GM will never share the "reasons for not buying". In fact GM has historically been bad at even addressing it internally. But being able to see out of the car is what make the car feel more open. It's a feeling. And people buy cars on feelings.

Name another product you would consider buying that when you first used it your impression was negative and someone tried to convince you "you'll get used to it".

Also there is a HUGE difference between Direct Vision and Indirect Vision (mirrors and cameras).

I do some of this for a living guys, even wrote a thesis on it years ago. It's a thing.
I have to agree. I can't comment on Camaro visibility, but any car with limited visibility is not as comfortable to drive. I drive a Trailblazer every day, with excellent visibility. When I drive my wife's 2012 SRX, I can't stand the massive A pillar (that can easily hide a car believe it or not), and door post. There is a difference between a quick check and being comfortable that there are no cars in the area, and having to carefully check, double check, move your head to get a better view, etc. I know if I drove the SRX every day I would adjust, but I would always be less comfortable in it.

I personally think the performance of a Camaro SS justifies having limited visibility, but I would think it's a pretty hard sell for the I4 and V6 models.