Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-19-2018, 11:09 AM   #71
GAOLDGUY

Drives: 2012 GMC Sierra, 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Another Lexani Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior102 View Post
I've had them on my car for a little over a thousand miles now and they've been great in the rain and standing water, the grip is better than expected in the dry. They've exceeded my expectations so far for the money, the only gripe is they are a bit on the loud side, that said the stock tires were loud too. I posted in a previous update that I thought they were quieter than the Goodyear F3, of course, it was raining here 24/7. It was 27 here this morning and I pushed them pretty hard corning and WOT with no surprises. The Old guy from GA has a set inbound and I'm sure he'll chime in later in the week.
Just wanted to provide an update as indicated above. I ordered the Lexani's and they shipped right away. After I received them I set out find a shop to put them on. First shop has been my go to guy and he sent me to another shop and indicated he was afraid his machine woud nick my wheel. The shop he sent me to had the same concern and they sent me to a 3rd shop and requested that I ask for the manager, "Terry". The shop was the Discount Tire at Discover Mills Mall in Lawrenceville. Terry was great; professional, knowledable and customer oriented. He explained that he had a touchless machine and we talked about a time to get the tires mounted and balanced. The plan is for me to go over there Wednesday and he will work on the car himself. First off, I appreciate the updates from Warrior102, esecially the fact that the Lexanis worked in 27 degrees. I'm kind of bummed that I'm not getting the Bridgestones that seem to be shipping now but the more I read about these Lexani's, the better I feel about these things. The next question was researching the yellow and red dots. After a good bit of reading, I am seening that the red dot should go on the valve stem. At first it made sense for the yellow dot to go on the valve stem because that is the lightest but the more I read, the more I see that if you have both red and yellow dots, the red dot should take precendense for tire placement at the valve stem. Apparently the exception is when you have a steel wheel with a cast "dimple" which indicates the low point of the wheel in which cast the red dot should be matched up with the dimple. Can anyone comment on this? Sorry if this is stupid but this is my first muscle car that can actually turn and I am learning all about suspension components, etc. which never intersted me previously.
GAOLDGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:42 PM   #72
Warrior102

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Black
The red dot is the high spot of the tire and the yellow is the lightest point, manufactures drill the rims for the valve stem at the heaviest point in the rim. Some rims will have a dimple or a small divot to designate the low point. If both (rim and tire) are present the red dot takes precedence, our rims are not marked as such so the yellow would align with the valve stem. The rims are in fact drilled at the heavy point but they're also balanced again, it's more a good practice than necessary. I aligned the yellows and all four tire balanced out with 5.5 oz total, amazing for such large tires. We have been knocking the Lexani's as being made in China but they're actually made in South Korea. Give them a hundred or so miles and a few heat cycles as you would any tire to scrub in, no regrets and I spent the $450 I saved on other car trinkets.

Last edited by Warrior102; 11-19-2018 at 07:49 PM.
Warrior102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:37 PM   #73
Reddy1LE

Drives: 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by madscotsman View Post
Yeah, not so funny story. After being told no Bridgestones until mid to late Feb and ordering the Lexanis, I get a text telling me my Tirerack order of the Bridgestones have been shipped. Got the Lexanis Friday and the Bridgestones will be here tomorrow. Wondering if I have to pay return shipping on tires from Amazon? Might end up just trying to sell the Lexanis...
My post got deleted from that thing that happened last week but the guy at tire rack told me a shipment would be in end of the week..emailed on Thursday after I saw your post about how you got a back order date for February. The guy told me there already gone, I was like $@!#. Now I keep seeing them pop up here and there on the website. Im going to wait until you install your fronts I believe....agh idk. I gotta see. Maybe ill just place the order and cancel if anything!. AGH!!
What this car really needs is a notification eliminator. There's a wi-fi notification. Bluetooth notification. Parking brake disabled notification. Always some annoying notification popping up. - Navigator post
Reddy1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:06 PM   #74
GAOLDGUY

Quote:
The red dot is the high spot of the tire and the yellow is the lightest point, manufactures drill the rims for the valve stem at the heaviest point in the rim. Some rims will have a dimple or a small divot to designate the low point. If both (rim and tire) are present the red dot takes precedence, our rims are not marked as such so the yellow would align with the valve stem. The rims are in fact drilled at the heavy point but they're also balanced again, it's more a good practice than necessary. I aligned the yellows and all four tire balanced out with 5.5 oz total, amazing for such large tires. We have been knocking the Lexani's as being made in China but they're actually made in South Korea. Give them a hundred or so miles and a few heat cycles as you would any tire to scrub in, no regrets and I spent the $450 I saved on other car trinkets.
Thanks Again! I'll be glad to get these on Wednesday.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:00 PM   #75
madscotsman

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
I had the Bridgestones installed this evening. 305/30R20 in the rear (stock size) and 295/30R20 in the front (stock is 285/30R20). Guy from Tire Barn said I still have somewhere between 1/4"-1/2" of clearance in the fronts. My wrists are too big to reach all the way to the back side of the wheel to check myself LOL, so I'll have to take their word on it. I could fit my middle finger tip between the top coil of the spring as far as my hand would fit. I asked them to do the fronts first and let me know if there were any fitment issues or concerns because of the change in tire size, and I would then just switch to the Lexanis I have. Drove the 10 miles home with the radio off and the window open so I could listen as I took some spirited turns and quick lane changes. I didn't hear or feel anything and I don't see any wear/rub marks on the inside of the tires. Guess I'll be returning the Lexanis in a week or so after driving a few more miles.

Last edited by madscotsman; 11-20-2018 at 06:49 AM.
madscotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:11 AM   #76
Reddy1LE

Drives: 1SS 1LE
Quote:
I had the Bridgestones installed this evening. 305/30R20 in the rear (stock size) and 295/30R20 in the front (stock is 285/30R20). Guy from Tire Barn said I still have somewhere between 1/4"-1/2" of clearance in the fronts. My wrists are too big to reach all the way to the back side of the wheel to check myself LOL, so I'll have to take their word on it. I could fit my middle finger tip between the top coil of the spring as far as my hand would fit. I asked them to do the fronts first and let me know if there were any fitment issues or concerns because of the change in tire size, and I would then just switch to the Lexanis I have. Drove the 10 miles home with the radio off and the window open so I could listen as I took some spirited turns and quick lane changes. I didn't hear or feel anything and I don't see any wear/rub marks on the inside of the tires. Guess I'll be returning the Lexanis in a week or so after driving a few more miles.
Yeah I pulled the trigger last night..hopefully get an earlier order but great news on the fitment in the front. Woo!
What this car really needs is a notification eliminator. There's a wi-fi notification. Bluetooth notification. Parking brake disabled notification. Always some annoying notification popping up. - Navigator post
Reddy1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 12:03 PM   #77
Tyrolblue67

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Camaro
I Wonder if the slight differences in tire diameter would trigger any codes from the traction management? I'm considering a 2019 SS with an A10. I would purchase aftermarket 1LE rims and mount the Bridgestone A/S tires mentioned above in 295/30/20 fronts and 305/20/20 rears. I would then do the cable relocation on the driver rear to prevent rubbing the inner liner.
Tyrolblue67
Tyrolblue67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:05 PM   #78
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
you are on stock wheels correct? No issue reported getting the 295 on them?
Old 11-20-2018, 04:31 PM   #79
madscotsman

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolblue67 View Post
I Wonder if the slight differences in tire diameter would trigger any codes from the traction management? I'm considering a 2019 SS with an A10. I would purchase aftermarket 1LE rims and mount the Bridgestone A/S tires mentioned above in 295/30/20 fronts and 305/20/20 rears. I would then do the cable relocation on the driver rear to prevent rubbing the inner liner.
Tyrolblue67
If that's a typo and you meant 305/30/20 in the rear, then there is no need to relocate the wiring harness or worry about traction management as that is the stock SS 1LE rear tire size. The only time you need to relocate the harness is when you go to a 315 width or a 35 height in the rear.
The 295/30/20 in the front instead of stock 285/30/20 is only 13/32" wider and 19/64" taller. I drove up to 90ish on the highway today and pretty much all over town shipping the Lexanis back without any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
you are on stock wheels correct? No issue reported getting the 295 on them?
Stock 18' SS 1LE rims. Tire Barn DID say the fronts were more difficult to mount on the rims than the rears, but they did it without so much as a blemish on any of the wheels which is actually a first for me with ANY tire shop I have used. They ALWAYS seem to do some type of damage whenever I've had tires mounted.
madscotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:28 PM   #80
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
If that's a typo and you meant 305/30/20 in the rear, then there is no need to relocate the wiring harness or worry about traction management as that is the stock SS 1LE rear tire size. The only time you need to relocate the harness is when you go to a 315 width or a 35 height in the rear.
The 295/30/20 in the front instead of stock 285/30/20 is only 13/32" wider and 19/64" taller. I drove up to 90ish on the highway today and pretty much all over town shipping the Lexanis back without any issues.

Stock 18' SS 1LE rims. Tire Barn DID say the fronts were more difficult to mount on the rims than the rears, but they did it without so much as a blemish on any of the wheels which is actually a first for me with ANY tire shop I have used. They ALWAYS seem to do some type of damage whenever I've had tires mounted.
thank you!
Old 11-21-2018, 06:22 AM   #81
Tyrolblue67

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Camaro
"If that's a typo and you meant 305/30/20 in the rear, then there is no need to relocate the wiring harness or worry about traction management as that is the stock SS 1LE rear tire size. The only time you need to relocate the harness is when you go to a 315 width or a 35 height in the rear.
The 295/30/20 in the front instead of stock 285/30/20 is only 13/32" wider and 19/64" taller. I drove up to 90ish on the highway today and pretty much all over town shipping the Lexanis back without any issues."

Thanks!
Tyrolblue67
Tyrolblue67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:11 PM   #82
GAOLDGUY

Lexani's Are On (I Think I Actually Like These Things!)

Quote:
So I had the Lexani's put on today. I probably don't have but about 50 miles on them but at the moment they seem to be exactly what I needed. I have not done anything crazy with them but I like the way the car drives. They may be a bit noisey, as indicated by Warrior102, but that doesn't bother me in the least. One of the biggest chages is that I don't consantly hear things thrown up against the inside of the wheelwell as I do at certain locations with the S3s. I'm excited to be at a configuration with this car that is suitable for yearround driving.

I see people have the Bridgestones comming in now and I am happy we have chioces for these cars.
Old 11-22-2018, 06:28 AM   #83
Warrior102

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Black
So I had the Lexani's put on today. I probably don't have but about 50 miles on them but at the moment they seem to be exactly what I needed. I have not done anything crazy with them but I like the way the car drives. They may be a bit noisey, as indicated by Warrior102, but that doesn't bother me in the least. One of the biggest chages is that I don't consantly hear things thrown up against the inside of the wheelwell as I do at certain locations with the S3s. I'm excited to be at a configuration with this car that is suitable for yearround driving.

I see people have the Bridgestones comming in now and I am happy we have chioces for these cars.

Good point, I wish it was just the wheel wells that were getting blasted and not my rear fenders too. There's one road I avoid completely they paved this summer, there's loose aggregate all down the sides and the Goodyears spray it everywhere, the all seasons don't do this. The F3's are going on Craigslist as I'm not putting them back on, if I wander any it may be the Pilot 4S if I'm feeling rich next summer, although I do like the all season solution. Any pictures and reports on the Bridgestones out there?
Warrior102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:03 AM   #84
GAOLDGUY

Quote:

Good point, I wish it was just the wheel wells that were getting blasted and not my rear fenders too. There's one road I avoid completely they paved this summer, there's loose aggregate all down the sides and the Goodyears spray it everywhere, the all seasons don't do this. The F3's are going on Craigslist as I'm not putting them back on, if I wander any it may be the Pilot 4S if I'm feeling rich next summer, although I do like the all season solution. Any pictures and reports on the Bridgestones out there?
I was thinking about the Goodyears long term as well. My next thing to worry about with this car is what to do if I get a flat that I can't repair with that flat repair kit. From what I understand, you should be very carefull about putting a "spare" on the back because of the Edif getting crazy and self distructing because of even a minimal variation in rear sizes of wheels. I thought a solution might be to keep the Goodyears around just in case I need two rears the exact same size. If I hit the powerball, I will buy another set of wheels and have them mounted. My youngest is home from college and we had fun driving the thing around yesterday. It's a fun car and I realize I need to get the "new gunk" worn off of these Lexani's but he seems to be more fond of this Camaro than the old Buick we put him in to go to UGA. Happy Thanksgiving.