Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 06-25-2020, 09:38 AM   #15
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
ceramic coating yourself is never fun. Whether it's cquartz little high concentration jars or blackfire ceramic coating or blackfire ceramic sealant or the new sprays that are now now.

Buffing once the ceramic hazes (even if done immediately at the hazing) is exceedingly difficult to not just see that you're getting it all, but microfiber towels (even the fake leather kind) have a really tough time grabbing onto it to buff off excess.

So you will usually end up with spots here and there all over your car that you'll eventually see in full sunlight where you missed and by then it's way too late to do anything about it. Just throw a normal spray and forget wax/coat like reload or whatever on periodically and worry about it in a year or two when you re-polish.

I still ceramic coat anyway, but it's an all day job to clean the car, polish it, clean it of polish and then ceramic coat and buff it. 8 hours easy. And that was with the new blackfire BF-380 spray. Still had missed spots.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:10 PM   #16
mspeed1LE

Drives: ZL1 1LE SUMMIT WHITE
This...

2018 ZLE * StudioRSR Half Cage * SkidmarkGarage Rear Seat Delete * ZL1ADDONS Lift Pads * Roto-Fab CAI * Forgestar CF5-V's * Michelin PS4S * Racequip 6 Pt. Harnesses * Sub-strap Brackets by Carmena Performance * Speedhut Shift Light * Leroy Eng. Hidden Hitch (for the TYR RAT)* Gen5DIY Rapid Flash 3rd Brake Light * KOOKS 2" LT * Green Cats * AWE Cat-back Track Edition *

mspeed1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 07:17 PM   #17
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
I was quoted $600 for wash, clay, cleaner, polish, 3 coats ceramic coat
I'm on a couple different detailing forums. Thats still on the cheap side. Most start at $800. If they are below that you have to ask what they are omitting.
Val Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:48 PM   #18
PeteSS2018

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro
I originally got a ceramic coating done when brand new, and it was really great for maybe 12 months. But water drop marks are horrible with it and it really seemed to lose its shine after that period. I've since used my Dewalt dual action battery powered polisher to (very occasionally) give it a light compound, maybe polish every 2 months and wax monthly. Its not a lot of effort and I actually like doing it. Looks way better than the ceramic, much glossier. ** The Dewalt polisher is a great tool for me, super convenient and very safe, but produces fantastic results. Easy to remove swirls and minor scratches too.
PeteSS2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:00 AM   #19
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
If you follow and believe youtuber Scott H's results in his multi-way tests (black hoods kept outside in the Texas sun and weather), Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax works as well or better than almost everything else on the market including some expensive "pro" ceramics.

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/...-g190526-26-oz

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:06 AM   #20
Daily1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
If I recall correctly I paid $1500 for my car to be paint corrected and ceramic coated with Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra when I bought the car brand new. Next month will be 2 years since I had that done, and I am still very happy with it. The coating is still going strong.
Daily1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:58 PM   #21
koolkat68

Drives: 2022 Vivid Orange Metallic LT1
Put a ceramic coat on myself. I used Avalon King. Was very easy to do.
Attached Images

koolkat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:00 AM   #22
NiteBlitz

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Update**

I have gotten it coated about 4 weeks ago now. Wanted to wait a few weeks to before writing back. I am not disappointed. Paid 450 for paint correction and 1 year coating. Paint correction was good, not perfect. Still some swirl marks here and there but barley visible unless you start really looking hard. As for the coating. Made the car look shinier for sure. I was actually amazed by the hydrophobic properties, I knew it would repel water but did not think it would repel it this well. Makes it a lot easier to wash. Plus I don't have to wax it now.
I have also noticed when I drive the car in the rain, it is not as dirty when I wake up the next day. Before the coating I had to wash it immediately because the rain made it extremely unbearable to look at. Now it still gets some dirty spots next to the wheels and around the trunk, but no where as bad.

Ultimately would highly recommend it. Most likely will be going for the 3 year once this one starts giving out on me.
NiteBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:17 AM   #23
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
A Silica sealant will give you the same hydrophobic effect, with a lot less headaches than ceramic coatings.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote