Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Emblempros

Old 06-30-2020, 12:59 PM   #1
dreamer45

Drives: chevrolet Camaro
0w 40 european formula

I noticed I purchased the mobil 1 0w40 european formula instead of the esp 0w 40 from mobil 1. Can you use the european formula on the SS or does it have to be specifially ESP?
dreamer45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:20 PM   #2
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Before the dexos2 Mobil 1 was available, I used the Motul X-Clean. It's a Euro Spec oil. However, it also is dexos2, so...

IIRC, 'euro spec' oils are designed for ultra-long change intervals (12k-15k miles) and are suitable for operation on high-speed roadways (autobahn, etc).

11/29/2016 - Delivered
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:03 PM   #3
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer45 View Post
I noticed I purchased the mobil 1 0w40 european formula instead of the esp 0w 40 from mobil 1. Can you use the european formula on the SS or does it have to be specifially ESP?
Will it work? Iím sure it will work just fine. Do you want to use it? Maybe not.

A few years ago a friend had the differential fail on his 5th Gen ZL1. There was a TSB out for the failure. He still had to provide dated receipts to GM to prove that he had followed the maintenance schedule with specified lubricant before GM would replace it under warranty.

Your power train warranty requires dexos certified oil. If youíre doing your own oil changes then youíll want to keep receipts for the oil and filter to prove youíre following the maintenance schedule. If there is an engine warranty issue then you may be required to provide the receipts. Technically GM could deny the warranty repair if you show them that you didnít use the required oil. I suggest that you use the recommended oil and either return your current oil or use it in a different vehicle. I wouldnít set myself up for a fight with GM if your car turns out to have a problem.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote