Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 06-29-2020, 10:21 PM   #1
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
AC Blowing warm air - compressor not engaging

I've got 12k miles on my car (bumper to bumper warranty expired on March 17th) and ran into my first real problem with the car. With the AC on the lowest setting, it's blowing warm air. I found that the compressor clutch doesn't appear to be coming on. AC clutch fuse looks good (though I haven't tested the relay), cooling fan turns on, and I can hear the blend door(s) inside appear to be moving when going from 'hot' to 'cold'. The AC condenser does have some bent fins (apparently from road debris), but nothing major.

I'm thinking a likely cause is that it's low on refrigerant, although I did not see any obvious signs of leak even with a blacklight.

Questions for the forum:
  • Does GM use dye (that would appear yellow under a black light) in the factory fill R1234-yf refrigerant?
  • What are the other possible causes? AC control module?
  • Since my car has such low mileage (1/3 of the limit) and so close to the time threshold (3 months over) has anyone had luck with getting a "good will" repair or at least assistance

I'm thinking for my next step, I need to get a pressure gauge for the new style R1234-yf connector to confirm if it's low. If it's low, then possibly buy some R1234-yf compatible dye and refrigerant, fill and confirm the system works, then pinpoint the leak with a blacklight. If I pinpoint where the leak is coming from, aside from replacing that faulty component, what else would need to be replaced (filter/dryer too?)?

I'd appreciate any feedback that might help resolve this.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:14 PM   #2
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Is anyone able to confirm if GM uses dye in the factory fill R1234-yf refrigerant?

I reached out to the dealer I bought the car from and they said GM would likely cover a large portion of the repairs since my mileage is so low (12k) and so close to the bumper to bumper warranty expiring (assuming it's not condenser damage due to road debris). With that said, I'm planning to take it to them this week to diagnose.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:17 PM   #3
MadFrog

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
I have a similar problem on my ‘18 SS-1LE. The compressor is not coming on. The fuse is fine and the relay is fine as well. If I jump the relay, the compressor clutch engages properly.

What was the final resolution of your issue? I have only 27k miles but am 6 months past the warranty expiring...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MadFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:02 AM   #4
cam765

Drives: 2019 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadFrog View Post
I have a similar problem on my ‘18 SS-1LE. The compressor is not coming on. The fuse is fine and the relay is fine as well. If I jump the relay, the compressor clutch engages properly.

What was the final resolution of your issue? I have only 27k miles but am 6 months past the warranty expiring...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How did you determine that your relay works correctly?
cam765 is offline   Reply With Quote