Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-25-2018, 11:22 AM   #29
Kise

Drives: 16' 2SS, 06' Silverado SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp00ner View Post
Not Competition Mode, but the Performance Shifting mode the A8 goes into under full throttle.
ahhh DUH lol sorry its been a long ass day.

I haven't driven the A8 in so long that I don't remember its features
Kise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:50 AM   #30
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp00ner View Post
The 1-2 shift is pretty lazy, outside of that i don't really feel that it's lazy. Particularly if I compare it to the duration it would take me to make that same shift in a true manual. The biggest difference is it took me a fraction of a second to tap the shifter and now i'm impatient.

On track I only use full auto mode unless it's raining and I cant get it into performance shift mode without flying off track... Full auto on track is just a much more precise version of me shifting, I just dont see a reason to row the gears myself at that point.
My only problem with the performance shift mode on the track is, when I get behind someone and am waiting for the point-by, it goes back to normal mode, then I have to get on it to get it back into performance shift mode, then I'm behind someone again (I do a lot of passing). But, this was all when I was in group 1. Perhaps now that I am in group 3 (out of 4), there will be less folks holding things up.

But, on the other hand, on the track, the paddle shifters work just fine. I do wish the performance shift mode had an override so you can override it on or off.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 02:46 PM   #31
Gunmetalmissle

Drives: 16 ngm ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post
I'm a little leary of this feature. Everywhere I've read says it will automatically downshift, down to 3rd. everytime I've tried it, I've almost redlined the car in 1st to slow down to pull into a gas station, looking like a retard. It never just stopped at 3rd, it kept a-going.
It downshifts to the lowest gear your speed will support. So if you are going slow enough it will downshift to 1st if you hold it.
Gunmetalmissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 02:53 PM   #32
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetalmissle View Post
It downshifts to the lowest gear your speed will support. So if you are going slow enough it will downshift to 1st if you hold it.

I've tried to find where I've read that, and can't. apparently I dreamed it. I distinctly remember reading in more than one place that it would only downshift down to 3rd, but I am mistaken.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:58 PM   #33
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
The reaction to the paddles depends on what mode you are in, what RPM's and what throttle. I find that if I am just tooling around town in Tour mode, the upshifts are lazy. If I'm in track mode, at full or near full throttle, and the RPM's are approaching redline, the shifts are much more crisp.
This! In my experience, the most enjoyable way to drive the A8 is in Manual, with drive mode set to Track, after double-tapping the traction control button to make sure the car is in Stabilitrak Competitive Mode.

One more important thing...DON'T USE THE PADDLES TO SHIFT--USE THE GEAR SHIFTER (forward and back) TO UPSHIFT AND DOWNSHIFT!

I find, under this combination of parameters, the shifts are reasonably crisp and shifting this way feels pretty close to the experience of driving my two previous stick-shift Camaros...just no clutch, but you still need to watch/feel for the right RPM range to upshift/downshift.

Interested in seeing the reactions of some of you to driving like this. Try it and come back here to let us know your thoughts!

I think it's a blast and I drive in Track, Competitive Mode, and Manual most of the time.

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:25 PM   #34
rap47

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th
Quote:
Originally Posted by PnCRedJwl2SS View Post
This! In my experience, the most enjoyable way to drive the A8 is in Manual, with drive mode set to Track, after double-tapping the traction control button to make sure the car is in Stabilitrak Competitive Mode.

One more important thing...DON'T USE THE PADDLES TO SHIFT--USE THE GEAR SHIFTER (forward and back) TO UPSHIFT AND DOWNSHIFT!

I find, under this combination of parameters, the shifts are reasonably crisp and shifting this way feels pretty close to the experience of driving my two previous stick-shift Camaros...just no clutch, but you still need to watch/feel for the right RPM range to upshift/downshift.

Interested in seeing the reactions of some of you to driving like this. Try it and come back here to let us know your thoughts!

I think it's a blast and I drive in Track, Competitive Mode, and Manual most of the time.
Yes, I never use the paddles. I use the shifter like mentioned here.
rap47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:27 PM   #35
Bigdog9586

Drives: 2016 Z06 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRS View Post
The A8 will never shift very fast or crisp with the way the oil passages and valve body is designed that's why the A10 is designed differently to accommodate lightning fast shifts and immediate reaction to the paddles.

If your looking for better shift for drag racing the best thing is automatic mode or shifting about 500 rpms before redline in manual mode because by the time you get to redline it will have shifted to the next gear.
Why do the autos have faster times then the manuals in zero to 60 and 1/4 mile? Can’t be to bad. At least mine isn’t when in competitive shifting mode. I think it shifts quicker from gearshift in this mode than paddles.
Bigdog9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:12 AM   #36
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Any new comments from those of you who drive the A8 in manual mode?

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:21 AM   #37
WhiteNight

Drives: MB 1SS
It works perfectly on a road course. Every year when I need it. Driving on the street is different with part throttle acceleration. It shifts based on how hard or little you push the car. It's not like a DCT where it's all or nothing. It provides for a more smoother experience when driving under normal conditions.
WhiteNight is offline   Reply With Quote