Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 05-23-2018, 10:57 AM   #15
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreenberg View Post
Hello all,

My 2018 ZLE is just about to pass 500 miles! I am wanting to do an intake mostly for the supercharger whine. Power increase would be the cherry on top! As long as I don’t experience any power losses, and do not need to tune I’m all ears!

And also, who offers forum pricing? Go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Roto-fab CAI is a great option to increase supercharger whine, improve the underhood appearance of your ZL1, and increase power! We have seen gains of 25+ RWHP with this system on multiple 3rd party dyno tests.

This is a video from Carl Ruth Chassis Dyno Services, showing an otherwise stock 2017 ZL1 with the Roto-fab CAI installed. As a sidenote, for the most accurate results, we recommend dyno testing our 6th gen ZL1 CAI with the hood closed.

Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:05 AM   #16
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
You may find some of this information helpful as well! Below are some dyno sheets and customer reviews for the Roto-fab 2017-18 ZL1 Cold air intake system.

Camaro6 ZL1 w/ Roto-fab CAI. Photo credit to Dedicated Motorsports

Dyno comparison from Aikman Performance. Roto-fab CAI vs. Stock, testing performed on an otherwise stock ZL1, "no tune"

Dyno comparison from Dedicated Motorsports. Roto-fab CAI vs. Stock, testing performed on an otherwise stock ZL1, "no tune"

Customer Testimonials:

Dave
"I did an independent test Wednesday on the Rotofab intake on my 2017 ZL1 A10.
Stock was 555hp 536tq, changed intake
and made 2 more pulls. 580hp 548tq.
25hp gain. No tune or anything else."

Jeffery

"Couldn't be happier with the purchase of my RotoFab CAI. Easy installation and love the increased SC whine and the seemingly improved throttle responsiveness."

Thomas
'Do you want to actually hear the supercharger whine as it pulls in alot more air than that little factory air intake? This does the trick. Easy to install with excellent instructions. Fits great and seals to hood when closed."

Gilgamesh

"Much louder and more responsive."

Kermit ZL1
"Simply put:
Would I buy this product again? Absolutely
Would I recommend it? In a heart beat..."

Thanks for your time and interest,
Michael
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:28 PM   #17
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Putting an intake on a boosted engine is one of the best mods you can do. Roto-Fab isn't blowing smoke. When they released their intake for the 2012 ZL1, many independent shops tested it and were averaging 20-25RWHP. The intake for the LT4 is no different. For ~$500.00, you get that awesome blower whine and a solid boost in power.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:14 PM   #18
big dave

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post
As a sidenote, for the most accurate results, we recommend dyno testing our 6th gen ZL1 CAI with the hood closed.

This is what I was most curious about. I'm glad to hear that your testing was done with the hood closed. I, as well as many others, have questioned whether the gains seen on the dyno was due to the hood being open. This makes me feel better about my decision.

As far as performance is concerned, I just installed mine last week and will be doing some track testing to see if there are any gains. If it runs anywhere close to what I ran in the cold weather, then I'll know that the system works in adding a few more ponies..
'13 ZL1 BRM A6. 11.591 @ 119.2 factory stock with a 1.68 60'! Best stock mph 121.8. 11.29 @ 123 RotoFab, drag radials and skinnies. 4360# raceweight.
http://youtu.be/yggIA3C_kkA 2014... back to stock
http://youtu.be/spQLaTWbThs 2013... stock & RotoFab
big dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:53 PM   #19
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreenberg View Post
Is that the similar to the foam insulation square that is found underneath the inside the stock intake box lid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No this is a part inside of the supercharger lid that is supposed to quiet down supercharger whine from the factory.
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=482787&page=3
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527500
Attached Images

Last edited by ICTsccaCamaro; 05-24-2018 at 01:03 PM.
ICTsccaCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:17 PM   #20
Deadmau5

Drives: 2015 procharged mustang gt
No-tune Intake

I bought weapon x badass carbon fiber one with a massive inlet and very weird filter on the inside . But I’m told it’s badass curious to see how much it makes .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Deadmau5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:55 PM   #21
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmau5 View Post
I bought weapon x badass carbon fiber one with a massive inlet and very weird filter on the inside . But I’m told it’s badass curious to see how much it makes .

Isn’t a tune required with that one?
Old 05-24-2018, 10:42 PM   #22
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:

that looks sweeeeet
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:33 PM   #23
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
I've been seriously considering the Weapon X CAI for some time. IMHO a great company with quality products, not to mention their vision, techs and amazing fabricators.

Looks really trick. I didn't realize there was honeycomb inside the CF tube. Air straighteners or secondary filtration? Both?

Interested in your thoughts after installation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 1LE View Post
Isn’t a tune required with that one?
They build a stage 1 and stage 2 CAI. Stage 1 requires no tune. Evidently they did some extensive testing on a stock ZL1.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:55 AM   #24
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
I've been seriously considering the Weapon X CAI for some time. IMHO a great company with quality products, not to mention their vision, techs and amazing fabricators.

Looks really trick. I didn't realize there was honeycomb inside the CF tube. Air straighteners or secondary filtration? Both?

They build a stage 1 and stage 2 CAI. Stage 1 requires no tune. Evidently they did some extensive testing on a stock ZL1.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:33 PM   #25
Deadmau5

I'll definitely keep you guys posted I'm curious to see if this intake does any better than all the others out there. It's the only one I've seen with a honeycomb inside of it as well. When I asked on phone the guy sounded very confident in it's abilities and reason for the comb and why only there's has it etc. I have a slight hunch this will perform much better than rotofab .. idk why I'm prob wrong but I just do.. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2018, 01:44 PM   #26
Lethal Z
American Gearhead!!

Drives: ZL1 1LE/GT350/Ford RS/Gen 2 Raptor
Quote:

I am very interested for your review/opinion of this CAI after install. By very design compared to the factory air box the basic principal of an aftermarket CAI is to improve air flow, yet that weapon X unit's honeycomb internal design would appear to only create drag. I'm intrigued. Did they represent any specific HP/Torque gains when you talked to them?
Lethal Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:37 PM   #27
Deadmau5

From conversation on the phone made it sound like it was specifically designed to make air flow straight allowing better power as opposed to bouncing around yes it all goes same direction but you get more air apparently more efficiently when it's directed straight as opposed to different flows in every direction. But basically the honeymoon design would offer much better airflow and power as opposed to a straight open one. Actually had a convo with a friend that works on turbos for a living and he stated when I asked him it's common on high hp cars and f1 cars but you don't see it in normal street cars cause testing for one is too expensive and two cost to much to add in and not make much money off of. And most of the time it's not necessarily needed unless you want to maximize airflow and air/fuel readings

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2018, 02:41 PM   #28
TheRedhead

Drives: 2018 Red Hot ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post
The Roto-fab CAI is a great option to increase supercharger whine, improve the underhood appearance of your ZL1, and increase power! We have seen gains of 25+ RWHP with this system on multiple 3rd party dyno tests.

This is a video from Carl Ruth Chassis Dyno Services, showing an otherwise stock 2017 ZL1 with the Roto-fab CAI installed. As a sidenote, for the most accurate results, we recommend dyno testing our 6th gen ZL1 CAI with the hood closed.

Seems sort of biased...

Built!
TheRedhead is offline   Reply With Quote