Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-21-2018, 04:26 PM   #1
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
polishing advice

Hi all, I have a 2018 ZL1 Night Fall Grey. Love it.

Would like to apply Jescar power lock + and then collinite 845.

Currently I wash by hand once a week with Megs wash and wax, then dry with microfiber, apply CG eco smart to take out any water spots, apply PB world Black hole glaze (for car shows only), then CG butter wet wax with DA.
(I think it looks amazing after).

I would like to polish the car using something with light abrasives as the paint still looks great and then apply Power lock and then collinite.

What polish do you recommend and with what pad?
Should I do clay bar first then polish?
What steps would you take?

Obviously ceramics is becoming more and more popular but I really enjoy the time inspecting the car and making it pop. Whole wash takes me about 2hours and I love every minute.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:21 PM   #2
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Meguiar's 205 and a white pad.

Yes you must clay bar first.

Wash, clay, polish, seal, wax.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:35 PM   #3
Markoz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Meguiar's 205 and a white pad.

Yes you must clay bar first.

Wash, clay, polish, seal, wax.

Thank you!
Do you think there is any benefit to applying glaze prior to sealant?
Old 05-21-2018, 07:47 PM   #4
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoz28 View Post
Thank you!
Do you think there is any benefit to applying glaze prior to sealant?
I don't think there is. Glaze is good for the car show, but it lasts about that long- a weekend.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:49 PM   #5
KirkH

Glaze is meant to fill swirls and if you have just polished, there is no need for filling swirls.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:50 AM   #6
mikem2104

Drives: 18 2SS 1LE, 20 Canyon Denali
if your doing powerlock + 845, why not look at the jescar finishing polish? assuming it is easy enough for you to source.
if you're looking for something easy to source, meguiars ultimate polish is a good one to start with. its the consumer version of 205 and works quite well.

agreed, no glaze first.
wash, clay, polish, ipa, seal, wax (if desired)

i added IPA simply so that you get any polish residue or greases off the car prior to sealing.

Current Garage:
18' 2SS 1LE, Hyper Blue
23' GMC Canyon Denali
Previously:
20' GMC Canyon Denali
16' 2SS 6MT, Hyper Blue, Kalahari, 20" PVW Chrome Split wheels, NPP, MRC (Total Loss)
14' Ford Edge Sport
06' Saab 9-7x,13' Nissan 370z Sport, 12' VW Jetta GLI, 02' Olds Bravada
mikem2104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:13 AM   #7
Markoz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem2104 View Post
if your doing powerlock + 845, why not look at the jescar finishing polish? assuming it is easy enough for you to source.
if you're looking for something easy to source, meguiars ultimate polish is a good one to start with. its the consumer version of 205 and works quite well.

agreed, no glaze first.
wash, clay, polish, ipa, seal, wax (if desired)

i added IPA simply so that you get any polish residue or greases off the car prior to sealing.

I was just looking at Jescar finishing polish as well.
Will need to do more research to see others results with it but looks good so far.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:20 AM   #8
mikem2104

Drives: 18 2SS 1LE, 20 Canyon Denali
fairly confident it is another menzerna, just like powerlock used to be. they make a lot of great polishes, menzerna labelled, jescar, blackfire ... among many.

all good stuff.

Current Garage:
18' 2SS 1LE, Hyper Blue
23' GMC Canyon Denali
Previously:
20' GMC Canyon Denali
16' 2SS 6MT, Hyper Blue, Kalahari, 20" PVW Chrome Split wheels, NPP, MRC (Total Loss)
14' Ford Edge Sport
06' Saab 9-7x,13' Nissan 370z Sport, 12' VW Jetta GLI, 02' Olds Bravada
mikem2104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:26 AM   #9
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I take a little bit a different philosopy in polishing and detailing in general. It's not about the products, everybody makes good stuff. It's all about the procedure/technique and the tools you use. Go over to the how to videos on auto geek to learn what they have to say about pads, polishes, and polishers It's a combination of the 3, that makes a good job. In this case on a new car, finishing polish, a good solid pad and technique will get you a jewel like finish. With the best products and the most expensive polisher, bad technique will still get you a bad result.

https://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:47 AM   #10
Markoz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I take a little bit a different philosopy in polishing and detailing in general. It's not about the products, everybody makes good stuff. It's all about the procedure/technique and the tools you use. Go over to the how to videos on auto geek to learn what they have to say about pads, polishes, and polishers It's a combination of the 3, that makes a good job. In this case on a new car, finishing polish, a good solid pad and technique will get you a jewel like finish. With the best products and the most expensive polisher, bad technique will still get you a bad result.

https://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html
I agree with you.
The only experience/practice that I have is on my grey 2012 Honda Accord using CG VSS on the hood and trunk. Came out looking great but know I could go slower for better results. Going to do more practice over the next month on the rest of that car and maybe my sons 2013 SS as it could use a good polishing too then I will graduate to my ZL1 and use something like m205 or Jescar finishing polish.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:52 AM   #11
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoz28 View Post
I agree with you.
The only experience/practice that I have is on my grey 2012 Honda Accord using CG VSS on the hood and trunk. Came out looking great but know I could go slower for better results. Going to do more practice over the next month on the rest of that car and maybe my sons 2013 SS as it could use a good polishing too then I will graduate to my ZL1 and use something like m205 or Jescar finishing polish.
I recommended M205 because it is easiest for the beginner to use. There ARE a lot of good products, but there are many different types of abrasives/abrasive technology. Some of them require more work time than others, some work better with certain pads (microfiber vs foam), some dust much more than others, etc, etc, etc.

M205 is solid with any pad and doesnt require you to work it until it disappears/dusts/hazes, etc like many polishes instruct.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:40 AM   #12
Atra

Drives: 16' 1SS M6
To be honest I have a 16 SS NFG and m205 and foam did not produce decent results on my first polish since I have had the car. If you want to go over the car ONCE try out D300 and a MF pad. In the pic the car has a weeks worth of dust on it too XD
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2018, 09:48 AM   #13
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
A polish like Essence is real good if you don't have any scratches or imperfections that need a compound to correct, Essence has some light abrasives while also putting a light coat of silica sealant on the paint as well...then you can top with something like Reload or another Silica sealant.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:51 AM   #14
Atra

Drives: 16' 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
A polish like Essence is real good if you don't have any scratches or imperfections that need a compound to correct, Essence has some light abrasives while also putting a light coat of silica sealant on the paint as well...then you can top with something like Reload or another Silica sealant.
I plan to put a few coats of cquartz on soon so i will probably go over with essence before that.