Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-02-2014, 02:29 PM   #1
Mike-D
HTFU

Drives: 2SS/RS
Broken Valve spring

So Saturday I was driving to the store, and then check engine light started to flash, "Service Stabilitrak" light came on, and car was running really bad. I drove it home and parked it. (2 miles est.) then I check the plugs and wire and found some really bad plugs. Changed them didnt help at all. Today I took it to the dealership (5 miles) and they said it was a broken valve spring and that the #7 cylinder was having a vacuum seal problem.
So here are my questions;
1. What is the likley hood of cylinder damage due to broken valve sping?
2. Am I covered by the 100,00 mile 5 year power train warranty ( Nov. 4 2009, is the original drop off date to the dealership) I bought certified pre owned.

Thanks for the advice/ help.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Depends on the nature of the break and whether the valve traveled down into the combustion chamber enough to contact the piston head. What sort of mileage do you have on your Camaro and when you pulled the plugs ,did any of the electrodes appear bent?
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #3
Mike-D
HTFU

I have about 56,000 miles on it. Only 1 of the plugs look bad (#2 cylinder), but not bent. The rest were just kind of fouled. How will the dealership/ I know if there is cylinder damage?
Old 06-02-2014, 04:00 PM   #4
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-D View Post
I have about 56,000 miles on it. Only 1 of the plugs look bad (#2 cylinder), but not bent. The rest were just kind of fouled. How will the dealership/ I know if there is cylinder damage?
They will likely pull the head. A compression test will be in order as well.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:42 PM   #5
Mike-D
HTFU

I think that is what the dealership said they were gonna do. I am pretty savy at basic mechanical maintenance but when you start taking apart engines or transmissions...Im lost.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:42 PM   #6
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
my valve spring went into the piston and completely destroyed the engine and head within seconds. you got 2 miles more than I did lol. mine made it about 100feet and no codes thrown.
Turbonetics running 8lbs boost at 700rwhp tuned by Hi Rev, installed by K&M w/cat-muffler delete, ACS splitter, Fesler GFX, MPD1 spoiler, Custom painted Rally stripes, Cordon CR1 wheels 275/315s, Hotchkiss comp sways and end links, Barton shifter
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:08 PM   #7
Mike-D
HTFU

Sorry to hear that about your car man. Its rough when your ride is blowing up. Did everything work out okay for you?
Old 06-02-2014, 08:01 PM   #8
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
yeah engine replaced under warranty, so it was all good.
Turbonetics running 8lbs boost at 700rwhp tuned by Hi Rev, installed by K&M w/cat-muffler delete, ACS splitter, Fesler GFX, MPD1 spoiler, Custom painted Rally stripes, Cordon CR1 wheels 275/315s, Hotchkiss comp sways and end links, Barton shifter
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:51 PM   #9
Mike-D
HTFU

Seems I have a broke intake manifold as well. So that is getting replaced as well. Then we shall see if that fixes all. But the good news is, it will all be covered by the powertrain warranty. Thank goodness.