Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 07:14 AM   #15
javi05

Drives: 14 ss 1le camaro
i would say the tires are about the only thing i dont like about this car.. being that they need to be replaced at 10k.. i had a 11 ss convert. great car.. leaked always lol.. but this 1le rides so much better to me..faster, sexier.. i daily my car.. and have no problems doing so.. i also live in houston.. so its hot most of the time.. except maybe a couple months out of the year.. the 14ss 1le i have seen very few on the road.. some people dont even know what it is... = i love it!!!!

2014 camaro 2ss 1LE. blk on blk..stock
Old 04-08-2014, 07:56 AM   #16
radametz

Drives: 2013 CRT 2SS/1LE; 2016 Colorado Z71
So from what I've gathered...you bought a track ready Camaro and are complaining that it's track ready . I know the car isn't for everyone, but a little homework would have gone a long way. Personally, I've never had an issue with ride noise or harshness, and I drove mine from NJ to Indy for C5Fest last year, then up to Chicago for a vacation, then back to NJ. I've also used it as my daily driver when the Cobalt is in the shop. And yeah, the suspension is stiffer, but to say that it's rock-hard and harsh? It could be a hell of a lot worse. And yeah, the tires do get hard in the cold...because they're racing tires...on a track ready car. Once again: homework. There's been numerous threads and posts regarding the tires here. And yeah, most people aren't disappointed with the tire wear because we knew it was going to happen! We knew the tires would wear quickly and that's something we accepted when we bought the car.

I'm sorry the 1LE wasn't for you, and I hope it finds its way to someone who will enjoy it. And I hope you find a car you're happy with...just do some research first.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:01 AM   #17
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Muchmark View Post
So I was just reading the posts in this thread

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351690

about the lousy crappy tire life they are getting with their 1LE's and not a single person seems to be disappointed in lots of tire wear after only 10,000 miles.

Some advice for people thinking about buying a 1LE : Don't. The 1LE is fun on a specially made smooth track (which I guess is why they call it "track ready", but in the real world which will be 99.999% of your time, you may end up as disappointed with it as I am.

The ride is rock-hard and any fair sized bump in the road is LOUD and harsh. The gear ratio is so low it gobbles up more gas than you would expect, forcing you to start off in 2nd gear or at least shift from 1-3-5 in normal city driving. (Yes I know its geared for racing). The ride becomes downright dangerous when the temperature drops below 7^c (about 40^f) because those "F1 Eagle Super Tires" (LOL!) turn to cement making the ride not only even harder and louder, but downright slippery even on dry pavement. I had to gently accelerate from red lights just to avoid spinning the rear tires.

Currently my 1LE is a heated garage for the winter but selling to the first buyer who offers me a fair price. http://montreal.fr.craigslist.ca/ctd/4411943696.html

The 2SS RS is a great mix of speed, handling and comfort and I recommend that model for any Camaro lover. But the 1LE? Think twice.
You clearly didn't know what you were buying. This is a horrible thread that only shows that you didn't do any research. The tires are operating exactly how they were designed. Low tread wear rating and not for use in cold weather. People have known that high performance and ultra high performance tired don't work well in cold weather. This has been since 1983 when the Goodyear Gatorback came out. Where have you been? And it's not just Goodyears its all of them!
Old 04-08-2014, 08:05 AM   #18
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
I almost thought this was an April Fools joke, then I looked at the date the thread was started.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:10 AM   #19
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Having some affiliation with the tire industry, it has been extremely distressing to me to observe the large number of "enthusiasts" on this board that attempt to run summer tires in the winter and then complain about their performance.

This will end badly. Some uninformed owner will kill somebody via their own negligence, then sue GM which will force them to deliver these cars with crappy all-season tires. The true enthusiasts who understand what they're buying and seek out these high performance features will be the ultimate losers. The incompetents will force GM to stop offering high performance options.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:15 AM   #20
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
I chuckled as well when I saw this post.....Just because it doesn't meet YOUR needs doesnt mean it doesn fit the rest of ours to a T.

Quote:

about the lousy crappy tire life they are getting with their 1LE's and not a single person seems to be disappointed in lots of tire wear after only 10,000 miles.
I was happy to get 6800 miles out of my first set of tires. 5 track days, 1 dragstrip day and lots of spirited driving on the street. It was awesome to drive to the track (or tow) and run well on stock tires!

Quote:
Some advice for people thinking about buying a 1LE : Don't. The 1LE is fun on a specially made smooth track (which I guess is why they call it "track ready", but in the real world which will be 99.999% of your time, you may end up as disappointed with it as I am.
You're right...If you don't know what you are buying and/or bought it for looks or to cruise around...This is not the car for you! For those of us that actually take them to the "special made smooth track" We get it, you never will.

Quote:
The ride is rock-hard and any fair sized bump in the road is LOUD and harsh. The gear ratio is so low it gobbles up more gas than you would expect, forcing you to start off in 2nd gear or at least shift from 1-3-5 in normal city driving. (Yes I know its geared for racing). The ride becomes downright dangerous when the temperature drops below 7^c (about 40^f) because those "F1 Eagle Super Tires" (LOL!) turn to cement making the ride not only even harder and louder, but downright slippery even on dry pavement. I had to gently accelerate from red lights just to avoid spinning the rear tires.
Rock hard or ready for the track? HHMMM sounds like you never took the car for a test drive. The gearing is one of the best parts of the car. Tires.....OK I agree, they can be dangerous, but I knew what I was buying and drive and or park it accordingly.

Quote:
Currently my 1LE is a heated garage for the winter but selling to the first buyer who offers me a fair price. http://montreal.fr.craigslist.ca/ctd/4411943696.html
May I suggest when meeting with or talking to the potential buyers do not say it is dangerous, the ride sucks, the gas mileage sucks, the car just plain sucks and you are selling because you hate it. You may get a sale if you use words like AWESOME, RACE CAR, FAST, FUN or maybe WICKED COOL!

Quote:
The 2SS RS is a great mix of speed, handling and comfort and I recommend that model for any Camaro lover. But the 1LE? Think twice.
You purchased the wrong car for your needs.......I think you need to heed your own advice and think twice next time....

Maybe it is time for a Buick...(Don't get the Regal GS...You will hate it too)

This is the wrong site/forum for sympathy...
Old 04-08-2014, 08:33 AM   #21
Darwood

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Every complaint listed is exactly why I want a 1LE. I think you forgot that the Recaros are too tight. Are they too tight? I hope they are. I wasn't able to find any to sit in cause they'd never sell in San Antonio.

Last edited by Darwood; 04-08-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:59 AM   #22
BATMOB1LE
• HT •

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
1LE FTW!

2013 Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE - 402 of 451
"BATMOB1LE"
- Xpel Stealth Wrap - ZL1 Rockers - 18% Tint - Custom Badges - Heritage Grille - BMR 1.4" Springs - Solo Performance Axel-Back Exhaust - Recaro Sport Seats
Old 04-08-2014, 09:07 AM   #23
1LE 2NV

Drives: '14 Summit White 2ss 1le Rs Npp Nav
I drive mine occasionally on dry warm days. No temperature lower then 50F knowing how the tires handle. Does it bother me? yes just a bit. But that was my fault for not learning more about the tires plus my salesman didnt say anything nor does it state on the sticker price that the tires are summer only but still my fault i dont mind because its not a DD. Ive driven quite a few camaros so i know the how they ride. The 1le is stiffer and way tighter compared to my previous camaro which in honesty makes it for a track car and thats an awsome thing to have for the street as well. I love the car. No regrets.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:35 AM   #24
ProfessorRhone

Drives: '14 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:

Terrible, terrible post.

Please learn what you are buying before knocking it when it's not what you expected! I myself CAN NOT WAIT for my 1LE!
Dual-Mode, Recaros, Sunroof, Nav
----------------------------------------
ZL1 Rockers
RPI Stealth Splash Guards
De-badged (except blacked-out front bowtie)
Old 04-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #25
Kendall421

Drives: 1969 Z28, 1982 Z28, 2014 SS/RS/1LE
I sure am glad he explained all that...as the explanations for not liking it are exactly why I bought one! LOL This is NOT a luxury car and in most cases, not a daily driver. For me, it is a toy. It will sit in my heated shop and come out on sunny weekends for joy riding and probably some SCCA Solo fun. I will probably put 10K miles on it in about 2-3 years. Harsh ride...let me take you for a ride in my 1982 Z28...there is NO give, it will rattle your fillings out! LOL But, it is a sports car...gotta understand it going in. Cannot wait to get my 1LE in another month!
Old 04-08-2014, 09:49 AM   #26
Kendall421

Drives: 1969 Z28, 1982 Z28, 2014 SS/RS/1LE
Wow...asking $43K for a 2013? Good luck with that. I bought my LOADED 2014 with Nav, NPP, Sunroof, Racarro's, etc and my price is $43620. Have to pay tax and title yet, so out the door will be around $45K. But would not buy a year old used one for the same money even with low miles...the resale value has dropped at least $4000-$6000 on that car. You might pull $38K tops if you are lucky.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:53 AM   #27
LuSe4

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
This is pretty funny. If it was posted on April 1st I would have been suspicious.

Most of those reasons are why I did not buy a 1LE. Don't get me wrong, they are awesome and look so bad ass, but if you are like me and want a fast and fun cruiser that looks awesome and will never ever be raced or taken on a track ever, why buy a 1LE when a regular SS will meet your needs. You overbought because you did not do your research.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #28
Mike-D
HTFU

Drives: 2SS/RS
I thought this was a troll pos. This is a fix with a simple 4 tire change, 2 if wanted on the cheap. What a waste of a 1LE.

Closed Thread