Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 11-22-2021, 05:56 PM   #1
Boogie4bear

Drives: 1lt
Subwoofer vs family needs

Hey all,

Single dad here. So, I actually thought that I was past the age of wanting bass in my car. But, lately I've realized how much I miss it. So, I'm considering getting a single sub in the trunk. However, I buy groceries for my family, so I don't want 2 use up too much trunk space or risk damaging the sub either. ? I can't always put groceries inside the car if my kids are with me. Any suggestions
Boogie4bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:51 PM   #2
mikec3104

Drives: 2020 LT1
Sub thump has what you need. The older I get the more I enjoy a good sound system.
mikec3104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 10:26 PM   #3
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
trunk is HUGE.

By comparison, opening is comically small, but groceries fit no problem.

Big box club stores and their pallet size rolls of paper.. maybe a issue.. otherwise.

All depends how much.. milk crate size sub box.. ?

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 06:21 PM   #4
Boogie4bear

Drives: 1lt
Thank u.
Boogie4bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 09:13 AM   #5
SWRocket

Drives: 2021 2SS
From a space saving perspective, the JL Stealth box is the most practical and sounds good. I have the one with the 12W6V3 in it. The thing is they are VERY expensive and you could build a box and sub for a quarter of the price...
Sub thump is pretty cost effective and you can pick up a couple of decent 10" subs for around $600 for the pair. For amplifiers you can look at the Toro Rage micro amps.
2021 2SS A10 - Summit White - NPP - MRC - Adrenaline Red Interior Pkg - Black Appearance Pkg - Ground Effect Pkg - Suede Steering Wheel and shifter - Red Calipers - Carbon Flash Wheels w black lug nuts - DD Tinted Side Markers - Hero Tinted Rear Reflectors - Redline Fender Badges - 20% Tint
Audio System Build Log
-----------------------------------------------------------
2014 Z/28 Summit White - sold 2020
2010 2SS/RS Summit White - sold 2014
SWRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 10:34 AM   #6
DarkKnyte

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
I couldn't get Subthumb to respond to my emails.

IMHO, if you want to retain the most amount of trunk space, you need a stealth box where 70% of the space it takes up is in the fender well dead space behind the panel.
DarkKnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 07:58 PM   #7
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Sorry I'm just now responding. The Stealthbox seems like an easy-button solution. I have one alternative suggestion that will maximize trunk space, just an idea to ponder:

Instead of a separate sub, you could drastically improve the upper- and lower-frequency extension and sound quality of the door and dash speakers. Hear me out (pun intended). I'd approach this by replacing the dash speakers with Audiofrog GS25 single-driver units, which have a much better treble range but are also designed to be crossed over to the door speakers as low as 200Hz. Then I'd replace the door speakers with their GS8ND woofers. These are shallow-mount 8" drivers meant for a free-air (infinite baffle) installation like a door or rear deck. They play down to 30Hz. The only catch here is that you want at least 75wpc to use them, and preferably you use DSP that can actively cross the two drivers over. If you do that and set the EQ and time delays properly, you'll get vastly improved sound quality with much higher highs and much lower lows...not to mention much more volume if you want it. And you get to keep all your trunk space! This will surely cost more than adding a trunk sub to the otherwise stock system, but it will be a big difference in sound quality.
Old 12-01-2021, 01:13 PM   #8
PA181SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
I have a Rockford Fosgate sub in my trunk. P300-10. Does not take up much room and has quick disconnects for easy removal if necessary. Also has a a remote that I located under my dash to adjust the amount of bass.
Attached Images

PA181SS is offline   Reply With Quote