Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 04-21-2016, 12:46 PM   #127
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
Is there a mute member function on this site?

there is...

user CP --> edit ignore list.

wow, that cleaned up the thread quite nicely.
Thank you, I hadn't thought of that.

(Seriously, no sarcasm)

I'm going to try and do it now!
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:52 PM   #128
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to write that I appreciate it. So none of the much rumored heat soak and limp mode even in Nevada in the z06? The Z is out of my price range anyway. The 3 cars on my short list are a 14 or 15 c7 the new 1LE and the new ZL1, both of which have 0 user feedback yet LOL. Seriously considering going auto though since I know it makes my wife a little sad that she can't drive a car she helps pay for.
Or, you could teach her to drive stick! Then you get bonus hubby points.

Most of the complaints of overheating transmissions have been with the Z51s, which lacked some heat exchangers found on the Z06. They fixed that in the 2016 MY.

When I was there we had 5 Z06s and about 15 Z51s. Two of the Z06s were auto and I think 3-4 of the Z51s. Not a single one had a transmission overheat or reduced power from heat soak.

I asked the lead instructor how often either problem occurs for them and he said the heat soak issue is because of poorly bled intercoolers on the Z06s and they have never had a single automatic overheat. He suspected it was people leaving them in automatic instead of manually shifting them.

I will say, they would call you out over the radio for everyone to hear if you engine braked, and he said that was because it was hard on the transmissions. Maybe that will lead to overheating as well.

BTW, the fastest lap turned for my class was a A8 Z06...by a big margin!
Old 04-21-2016, 12:57 PM   #129
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Or, you could teach her to drive stick! Then you get bonus hubby points.
Don't go there. I tried to teach her stick in a Hyundai Elantra in an empty parking lot and the cops showed up......
Old 04-21-2016, 12:58 PM   #130
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
Don't go there. I tried to teach her stick in a Hyundai Elantra in an empty parking lot and the cops showed up......
Old 04-21-2016, 01:51 PM   #131
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
The A8 is a nice transmission for the street. It is not a track transmission, I can attest to its inability to keep the car in the power range needed to exit corners optimally. I can also attest to the delay in downshifting using the paddles. BUT, I can tell you it works well just slamming the throttle for 1320' and even its current state shifts quicker than I can manually so it has its place. I firmly believe that A10 is being put into the ZL1 before the Vette specifically to address the A8's deficiencies on the road course and I believe the 1LE will not be available with the A8, further evidence that the A8 has it's issues on a road course. HOWEVER, to be clear, I do not think the A8 is garbage. I think it is not well positioned on a road course. I hope the fact that GM is confident enough in the A10 to put it into the ZL1 shows that the transmission is ready to live up to the hype. A less than stellar road course performance in the SS is one thing. A less than stellar performance in your "excel at everything". "take on the world" car is quite another so I think Team Camaro knows what is at stake here and I expect them to deliver with the A10.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:25 PM   #132
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
The A8 is a nice transmission for the street. It is not a track transmission, I can attest to its inability to keep the car in the power range needed to exit corners optimally.
An honest question for you. If the rpm spread in the A8 is smaller than the M6, and you can manually shift the A8, wouldn't it be the drivers inability to keep the car in the correct power range that is the issue? I would think even with a very slight delay in shifting, a good driver would be able to have it in the correct gear well before apex and exiting the corner. I've never tracked an auto so I could be well off base.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:55 PM   #133
mkorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
An honest question for you. If the rpm spread in the A8 is smaller than the M6, and you can manually shift the A8, wouldn't it be the drivers inability to keep the car in the correct power range that is the issue? I would think even with a very slight delay in shifting, a good driver would be able to have it in the correct gear well before apex and exiting the corner. I've never tracked an auto so I could be well off base.
Great question to which I will give my best answer. I am not a professional racer but I have a lot of track time in many different cars. Here is my problem...if you put the car in SPORT mode and let the car select the gear for you it select gears that put you too low in the RPM range to optimally pull out of a corner. For example, you are decelerating from 110 to 45 to take a sharp left hand turn, the car will drop out of seventh to fourth when I would prefer it drop to third or even second with a quick shift on the corner exit. With the paddles, the delay in dropping multiple gears in both the display telling you what gear you are in AND the actual downshifting of the transmission itself is such that by the time you get 3/4 of the way through the turn and want to hit the paddles to get back on it, they are still going down the gear tree which then delays your upshifts on exit.

I will admit, I am not an expert on driving autos on a road course BUT I have driven an auto GTR, M4, C6, and a S4 and found them much more responsive and "intelligent" in keeping the car in the power band throughout the course. If I was Randy Pobst I might be able to get a better result but the reason I got in the car in the first place was that my buddy who owns it was getting frustrated and new I had more experience than he did and wanted me to see if I could get a better result than he was getting....I did not.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:02 PM   #134
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Great question to which I will give my best answer. I am not a professional racer but I have a lot of track time in many different cars. Here is my problem...if you put the car in SPORT mode and let the car select the gear for you it select gears that put you too low in the RPM range to optimally pull out of a corner. For example, you are decelerating from 110 to 45 to take a sharp left hand turn, the car will drop out of seventh to fourth when I would prefer it drop to third or even second with a quick shift on the corner exit. With the paddles, the delay in dropping multiple gears in both the display telling you what gear you are in AND the actual downshifting of the transmission itself is such that by the time you get 3/4 of the way through the turn and want to hit the paddles to get back on it, they are still going down the gear tree which then delays your upshifts on exit.

I will admit, I am not an expert on driving autos on a road course BUT I have driven an auto GTR, M4, C6, and a S4 and found them much more responsive and "intelligent" in keeping the car in the power band throughout the course. If I was Randy Pobst I might be able to get a better result but the reason I got in the car in the first place was that my buddy who owns it was getting frustrated and new I had more experience than he did and wanted me to see if I could get a better result than he was getting....I did not.

Thanks. That makes sense. Like I said, I've never tracked an auto (plenty of manuals) but I have obviously done some spirited heavy braking turns on the street with my 335i A8 and my wifes Q60S A7 that both have paddle shifters and I can definitely confirm that at those deceleration speeds, it's extremely easy to not have any clue how many times you've pulled on the paddle and forget which gear you've gone into. And at that point I don't want to concentrate on looking at what gear I'm in, I want to be concentrating on hitting the apex and my other marks. Thanks again.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:16 PM   #135
mkorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
Thanks. That makes sense. Like I said, I've never tracked an auto (plenty of manuals) but I have obviously done some spirited heavy braking turns on the street with my 335i A8 and my wifes Q60S A7 that both have paddle shifters and I can definitely confirm that at those deceleration speeds, it's extremely easy to not have any clue how many times you've pulled on the paddle and forget which gear you've gone into. And at that point I don't want to concentrate on looking at what gear I'm in, I want to be concentrating on hitting the apex and my other marks. Thanks again.
So, my hope is the A10 gives us near instant up/down shifts with the paddles giving us the control of a manual with the speed of shift of a world class automatic. It does not need to be PDK good for me but if they can get close to what the GTR provides....I am all in on the A10. BTW, if you haven't driven a GTR you owe it to yourself to drive that monster. If I was not so invested in my Camaro addiction, of all the cars I have driven, the GTR would be in my garage above them all, at least all of them under $150K. What a machine.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:36 PM   #136
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:

Here's a couple of things to try which will improve the performance.

1) When you need to downshift several gears at once, hold the left paddle down. It will choose the best gear for your speed assuming you are going to start your turn in.
2) Brake to your turn in speed hard and befor you start the turn. Keep your wheel straight as you shift.
3) Don't up shift in the turn, you should be throttle steering to keep you on line to hit the apex.
4) Accelerate as you unwind and shift when the wheel is straight and you are aimed toward you next turn in or near apex.

It takes some practice, but the shifts are amazingly fast when you get it right.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:40 PM   #137
Snakedriver

Drives: ZL1
The A10 is for better mileage plain and simple, do you really want to paddle 10 gears? The A8 is an excellent tranny.
Snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:46 PM   #138
mkorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
The A10 is for better mileage plain and simple, do you really want to paddle 10 gears? The A8 is an excellent tranny.
No, I am still leaning M6 but the video of the A10 shifting gears with the paddles at the unveiling sure was impressive.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:47 PM   #139
mkorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Here's a couple of things to try which will improve the performance.

1) When you need to downshift several gears at once, hold the left paddle down. It will choose the best gear for your speed assuming you are going to start your turn in.
2) Brake to your turn in speed hard and befor you start the turn. Keep your wheel straight as you shift.
3) Don't up shift in the turn, you should be throttle steering to keep you on line to hit the apex.
4) Accelerate as you unwind and shift when the wheel is straight and you are aimed toward you next turn in or near apex.

It takes some practice, but the shifts are amazingly fast when you get it right.
Thanks. I am not sure when my next chance to get in an auto will be but #1 may very well help most of the issue I was having.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:48 PM   #140
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
Ask the GM engineers, they loved it and emphasized the shifts in the videos. Lightning quick and they stated a max drop of 800 rpms between shifts keeping the engine in its sweet spot.