#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-09-2017, 11:11 AM   #29
trident
No Hope

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Black Coupe, 2017 Z06,
Since I started the discussion, Real World

At three weeks and 300 miles I stopped at the Mercedes dealership, my other car is a S550, and asked the SM to come look at my car and that I had a problem. I didn't tell him I bought the ZL1. When he saw the car he was very impressed and I ask if he wanted to drive it. Of course, while out running around we did stop and he put it through the paces as I gasp. On the way back we discussed the break in 1500 mile and below 80 mph. His advice and he sees hundreds of MB a day and a lot of engine changes under warranty and he said that these engines are made to run full bore right out from the factory. Nearly, all the MB engine changes have to do with other problems; water pump, bad oil pump, faulty ECM, etc. The engines in most cases are never the problem. So go drive it and enjoy it. Prior to the ZL1, I had a MB 2016 GTS. Every time I would drive it and park it in the garage it would smell so bad as if the thing was burning oil. 5 times into the dealership, changed out the oil tank and hoses and numerous other things done, but still would stink. The thing went up the chain of command and it was decided that MB would buy back the car to the penny, which they did. They took it to auction and dumped it. Total miles 1,500. Pictures of then and now.
Attached Images

trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:16 AM   #30
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty35 View Post
I forgot to mention,
I have an old friend who was an engineer for GM, he says the engineers at Ford are not all that smart.
Here is the Ford breakin period from the Additional Owners Manual for the GT350 I had. I did exactly as Ford said for 100 miles. And mine was burning oil at a rate of 1 quart for 544 miles. So maybe Ford needs to rethink their breakin period.

Or maybe, they just aren't that smart...

Attachment 863878
Attached Images

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:25 PM   #31
speedyman
Account Suspended

Drives: ATS4
Quote:
Originally Posted by unavailablezl1 View Post
Here is the Ford breakin period from the Additional Owners Manual for the GT350 I had. I did exactly as Ford said for 100 miles. And mine was burning oil at a rate of 1 quart for 544 miles. So maybe Ford needs to rethink their breakin period.

Or maybe, they just aren't that smart...

Attachment 863878
So you are certain that the oil consumption is a "break-in" problem? Bet your life it is NOT.
speedyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:17 PM   #32
unavailablezl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
So you are certain that the oil consumption is a "break-in" problem? Bet your life it is NOT.
Then you are saying it is a car design problem?

Past Rides
Old 04-09-2017, 06:32 PM   #33
ZXCamaro
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Always break them in like you stole them. They are always faster. And out of the 10 cars I've had over the last 12 years, 15,000 miles is about the most I've ever put on one. But man they run like raped apes. And never burn oil.
ZXCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:39 PM   #34
speedyman
Account Suspended

Drives: ATS4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXCamaro View Post
Always break them in like you stole them. They are always faster. And out of the 10 cars I've had over the last 12 years, 15,000 miles is about the most I've ever put on one. But man they run like raped apes. And never burn oil.
EXACTLY!

I have been told to break in a new motor hard after about 50 miles which is what I have done with all of them. My experience has been identical to yours, they run like scalded dogs. My '16, A8, Z06 was run like it was stolen from about 20 miles on. It went 10.92 at 130 with around 800 miles on it in near perfect air around 50 degrees and an excellent track prep(Velcro good).
speedyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:40 PM   #35
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
So you have no idea if they will last. I think I trust the engineers who built it over some guy on the internet. Plato said be leery of trolls on the interweb.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2017, 06:48 PM   #36
catdog

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 pdr roof CF blk
Use ZMAX oil additive and break them gently then push progressively harder...listen to Carroll Shelby...
none of my last 6 cars have burned oil, S550, v10 M5, Golf R, Focus RS, 991C2S...

none of them are raped apes though..
more like wild chickens ...
catdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:26 PM   #37
unavailablezl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdog View Post
Use ZMAX oil additive and break them gently then push progressively harder...listen to Carroll Shelby...
none of my last 6 cars have burned oil, S550, v10 M5, Golf R, Focus RS, 991C2S...

none of them are raped apes though..
more like wild chickens ...
ZMAX looks like the old Teflon additive

Past Rides
Old 04-09-2017, 07:35 PM   #38
DDP98

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Old debate I could never understand. Everyone has their preference and can do as they please. I, however, prefer to follow the guidelines set forth by the engineers that build the engine, not what I read online or hear from "dealers" and "car guys". Seems everyone knows someone who says the engineers are wrong. Also, this doesn't apply to everyone, but I'm willing to bet those who can't wait or have the patience/discipline to follow the break in process probably have their cars listed for sale in 3 years or less. Hammer the car then let someone else worry about it. To each their own, just my opinion. Disclaimer, I'm not an expert whatsoever, which is why I personally follow the manual.
01/16/2017 - TPW
1/18/2017 - 4200
1/302017 - Delivered
DDP98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:13 PM   #39
ZXCamaro
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
EXACTLY!

I have been told to break in a new motor hard after about 50 miles which is what I have done with all of them. My experience has been identical to yours, they run like scalded dogs. My '16, A8, Z06 was run like it was stolen from about 20 miles on. It went 10.92 at 130 with around 800 miles on it in near perfect air around 50 degrees and an excellent track prep(Velcro good).
Yep. I had two 5.0 mustangs (2011's). I ran both of them HARD from new. Both never sipped a drop of oil. Meanwhile people were complaining all over forums that they are seeing tons of oil consumption. They were running catch cans and having to add oil before oil changes. Mine were totally fine. Again not a drop consumed. They also ran super hard at the track. I did blackstone on both of them, and they were clean of metal. The oil would age properly and I would change it at the beginning and end of the summer. Easy peazy.

Obviously do what you want. And yes I'd never keep a car past 20,000 miles most likely. No need. Technology and performance moves so fast, and I always want to have the newest and bestest. There are articles about race engines, and how they are broken in the same way on dynos. But again those are torn down and rebuilt every race or every season at least. So understand they are breaking them in for maximum performance, not longevity. Same here. But Im not running mine on a dyno like that. Just driving it normally. Not limiting myself or the car in any way. Besides if something is going to break, i want it to break as early as possible. Then it can get sorted and I can move on.
ZXCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:14 PM   #40
catdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by unavailablezl1 View Post
ZMAX looks like the old Teflon additive
no, ZMax has no teflon in it ... works great
Old 04-09-2017, 08:16 PM   #41
catdog

Quote:
Yep. I had two 5.0 mustangs (2011's). I ran both of them HARD from new. Both never sipped a drop of oil. Meanwhile people were complaining all over forums that they are seeing tons of oil consumption. They were running catch cans and having to add oil before oil changes. Mine were totally fine. Again not a drop consumed. They also ran super hard at the track. I did blackstone on both of them, and they were clean of metal. The oil would age properly and I would change it at the beginning and end of the summer. Easy peazy.

Obviously do what you want. And yes I'd never keep a car past 20,000 miles most likely. No need. Technology and performance moves so fast, and I always want to have the newest and bestest. There are articles about race engines, and how they are broken in the same way on dynos. But again those are torn down and rebuilt every race or every season at least. So understand they are breaking them in for maximum performance, not longevity. Same here. But Im not running mine on a dyno like that. Just driving it normally. Not limiting myself or the car in any way. Besides if something is going to break, i want it to break as early as possible. Then it can get sorted and I can move on.
Respect your point of view, wish some of the engine tuners on this forum would chime in with their thoughts...
Old 04-09-2017, 10:51 PM   #42
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
I have NO IDEA why this is such a hot subject?? I actually feel the argument is silly like M6 vs A10. I'm new here & we have already had 'chingos' of ugly banter on this topic. I wish it could level out and stay more civil at times, as it is not like anyone has stroke over someone's wheels/choices?? Do what you wanna do...the folks that built your ride are suggesting 1500mi. & unless you joined this week, you know where the mods & members stand on the subject matter.

Some owners throw the manual in the trash, mod them to crazy HP and don't care about any of it. I'm just sorta finicky & am good friends with my dealer & wouldn't want to put them in an awkward place if something happened & it is what GM recommends. So be it. Others wot of the lot. The bottom line comes down to this: Don't tell others to blatantly disregard the OEM's break in procedure that is in writing as BS unless you have solid data that any and all engines will be replaced, no questions asked without first hand knowledge from the suits at GM that could be confirmed by camaro6 as well. You are basically speaking up as a consumer for what GM will guarantee?? Really?? That sort of crap puts the site & the mods on the line.

All mfg's want their cars to be bullet proof & most that wot off the line should never have any issues...it's what the damn thing was made for, but to the very few: Please stop speaking gospel that any OEM's break in procedure is to be be disseminated into some sort of typo.

Here's what happened to me today...
Attached Images

Artos is offline   Reply With Quote