Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 12-20-2023, 07:23 PM   #1
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
When to replace OEM wheel studs for a tracked 1LE?

Need to tap the collective minds of Camaro6 members who track their G6.

I have 3 seasons (~ 22 track days) on my SS 1LE and have started wondering if it would be prudent to replace my OEM wheel studs pro-actively before any of them break (and run the risk of losing a wheel). I have and will continue to run OEM wheels and tires, so haven't added any additional G-load strain beyond the normal 1.2-1.3 lateral G. But on the other hand, I change between DD wheels and the OEM wheels each time I track the car, so I've probably broken the lugs free (power impact wrench) and torqued the lugs on the studs (hand torque wrench) about 50 times, always when cold. Given the complexity of changing the rear wheel studs, it would be most convenient if I could wait until the end of season 4 (grand total of 30 track days), as I'll likely need to replace the rear rotors anyway and could do that along with new OEM hubs and studs at the same time. But that would mean running the existing studs for another 8 track days.

So to you track rats who have used the OEM studs for several seasons:

1) How many track days (or wheel changes/torquing episodes) have your studs lasted before any broke?

2) When do you recommend I replace mine (can I safely do 30 track days on them, or should I replace now)?
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 01:18 PM   #2
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
You're probably fine. I'm at over 5 years on my stock studs and none of them have broken. I always make sure to torque to 140 lb ft when wheels are not hot but I have been using a battery powered impact to do that the last few years without issues. I usually rotate tires side to side once per track event (if it is 2+ days) and often take wheels off to change brake pads at the track too. I have also swapped to/from 19" ZLE wheels with 3R tires at about 6 events too. I do carry spare studs in case but I would recommend replacing the whole rear hub if you do snap a rear stud because it is a lot of work to access them.

I also have spare wheel hubs sitting around because you likely can't get OEM hubs quickly and for a good price if one goes bad during a track event. I'll probably install extended studs into the fronts in the future and then preventatively install them rather than waiting for the originals to fail if I start using front spacers in the future.

I had one rear wheel hub fail a few years ago but the other 3 are original. Here's a video of the failed one before I replaced it: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=23

Last edited by cdrptrks; 12-21-2023 at 01:33 PM.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 06:49 PM   #3
eimarshall

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE Hyperblue
I've never heard of one breaking. I only replaced mine to get more thread engagement on a set of wheels that had a lot of hub thickness. I was doing BMR arms and DSSVs so it was all coming apart anyways. If you happen to be tearing things apart, sure go ahead. but I wouldn't make a big project out of it just to replace the studs.
eimarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 11:25 PM   #4
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
I had over 50 track days on my last car and never had a problem. I did see a post on Facebook (yeah, I know), that a driver and "several" of his friends had problems. If you are doing proper wheel installation, not running spacers, and taking the lugs to final torque with a torque wrench, then I don't think you'll ever have a problem.
Old 12-28-2023, 08:53 PM   #5
N Camarolina

Thanks all for your replies. Looks like I have nothing to worry about, but would be good to consider having replacement hubs and studs on hand for when they require eventual replacement.

Are the front and rear hubs identical? I ask because the part # on Cdrptrks YT video mentions 13512894 as the part number for the rear hub, but when I looked it up online (GMparts Giant) it claims this is the front hub. Also, are new studs already part of that assembly as the picture on the site seems to imply?
Old 12-29-2023, 05:38 PM   #6
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
The front and rear hubs both come with studs preinstalled. I just carry spare studs because I could quickly replace broken front stud(s) at the track if needed. The part numbers are different for front vs. rear and there have been multiple part number changes over the years. The spares I have (might not be the latest part numbers) are: GM#s 13552402 (rear) & 13544842 (front). Some websites list superceded by a new part # when you look up an old part #.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 06:53 PM   #7
N Camarolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
The front and rear hubs both come with studs preinstalled. I just carry spare studs because I could quickly replace broken front stud(s) at the track if needed. The part numbers are different for front vs. rear and there have been multiple part number changes over the years. The spares I have (might not be the latest part numbers) are: GM#s 13552402 (rear) & 13544842 (front). Some websites list superceded by a new part # when you look up an old part #.
Thanks for the info. I always count myself lucky that we have this forum with such knowledgeable and helpful people.

Just curious about your carrying spare studs for a (weekend?) track event. To replace a broken stud, I could see that maybe being doable for the front but not exactly quick (you'd first have to remove the caliper, rotor, and hub; then have a way to disengage the stud). For me at least, a rear hub stud would be a non starter. How long do you think it would take to do a front stud?
Old 12-29-2023, 07:56 PM   #8
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
Thanks for the info. I always count myself lucky that we have this forum with such knowledgeable and helpful people.

Just curious about your carrying spare studs for a (weekend?) track event. To replace a broken stud, I could see that maybe being doable for the front but not exactly quick (you'd first have to remove the caliper, rotor, and hub; then have a way to disengage the stud). For me at least, a rear hub stud would be a non starter. How long do you think it would take to do a front stud?
Front is fairly easy to do, you basically knock out the old ones with a hammer and then it's good to have a tool to pull the new ones through, the tool basically allows you to use a nut/impact to pull through (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

With all the right tools at your disposal I would say 35 minutes or so per side.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 09:15 PM   #9
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I swapped to ARP extended studs when the car was new to safely run wheel spacers on a 2nd set of wheels I had from my 5th gen 1LE. I'm sure the OEM studs would still be completely fine but the gold ARP studs make me look pretty cool in the parking lot lol
Old 01-11-2024, 06:56 PM   #10
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
If you don't over torque them, they will last a long time typically. I try to be very careful not to over torque. I set my (good) torque wrenches at 130/133 ft-lbs just because I may not stop perfectly when it clicks / or beeps (depending on which wrench I am using).

On my primary track Camaro, with a bazillion wheel swaps & torque checks, one OEM rear finally broke doing a torque check after the first session of the day. Luckily, it was just a member day at my home track. That's when I decided to change both rear wheel bearings which got me new studs.

One of the biggest issues is stretching the studs and eventually leading to yielding. I see is people over torqueing with torque wrenches. They check them with a torque wrench set at 140 ft-lbs and often keep on stroking away. Once fully seated and clamp load gets reached, torque goes up VERY quickly.

Someone I know real well was over torqueing them on his Camaro one day while I was at the track - by continuing 'x' degrees past when his torque wrench clicked. I said I thought they were over torqued. Yep, came in with a vibration later with three broken studs on a wheel. His day was very close to ending very badly.

To show him how quickly torque rises, I borrowed a high dollar torque data logger I have access to on the wheel bearing I was helping him change out. Put one lug back to 140, and in 18.38-degrees (or ~3-minutes of movement on a clock), it went from 140 ft-lbs to 239.85 ft-lbs.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 11:25 PM   #11
N Camarolina

Thanks guys. This has developed into a really good thread for us track rats. Ought to benefit many others in the future (who can figure out how to search).