Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-22-2021, 03:54 PM   #1
Vans13SS

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS M6
The dreaded pickup tube bolt !

Hey guys ! I hate to dig up something that’s been discussed a thousand times , but I have seen threads where they say you can get 1/2-3/4 inch drop by loosening the pan bolts , but I have the electric steering and it has less than 1/2 inch between it and the pan ! 🤬 can I loosen the motor mounts and possibly get more room that way or is it necessary to go the hard route ( loosen and move rack - drop subframe) ? I appreciate any tips on this ! Thanks !
Vans13SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:28 PM   #2
Silverado60

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS/RS M6
Did you remove the starter bolts and flywheel covers on both sides?
Texas speed F-35 cam, rollmaster timing set, melling hp pump, ls2 chain damper, fluid damper 25% under drive, Che rocker bushings, tsp .660 lift valve springs, BBK CAI Amzoil filter with Phastek ww relocation and scoop, Gmpp axle back, Speed engineering 1 7/8" LT's no cats, Peak speed shop ported tb, NGK tr6, MSD wires, Amsoil Zrod wix, heritage grill, 1.25" BMR springs, MRR 228, Nitto Nt05,dyno tuned by complete street performance, elite eng catch can, clean side separator, Hurst shifter, Zl1 addon wickerbill
Silverado60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:38 PM   #3
Vans13SS

Yep , no luck it hits the electric power steering after abut a 1/4 inch
2013 2SS LS3 M6 ... CAI , ported throttle body, comp 54-444-11 cam , Brian Tooley springs retainers and locks , CHE Trunnion kit, C5R timing Cain and gears with LS 2 tensioner block , Texas Speed 1-7/8 headers , comp 7.4 hi tech pushrods, Vitessee throttle controller , SCT Tuner with tunes by Dyno Steve
Old 02-22-2021, 06:43 PM   #4
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Disassemble the oil pump, remove the gear. Then you can raise the pump up and have plenty room to attach the tube. Piece of cake....
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:52 PM   #5
Clarkstar

Remove the 7 bolts from the cover. This is what the inside looks like. Remove the gears. Place the pump over the crank shaft, install the pick up tube. Then reinstall the gears. Reinstall the cover... then the mounting bolts.
Attached Images

2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:54 PM   #6
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vans13SS View Post
Yep , no luck it hits the electric power steering after abut a 1/4 inch
I have electric steering as well and had no problems. Pan came down more than enough. Stuffed rags in the pan in case i dropped the bolt. Added a 2nd bolt to the other side when i reassambled with the cradle. Honestly was fairly stressed over this and it turned out to be pretty damn easy
15 Camaro SS- GPI max top end, ESS Vortech V3 9psi, ID 1050s, ZL1 pump, JMS bap, Long tubes, Corsa extreme, Circle D pro 5C, 391 rear, DSS carbon drive shaft, poly cradle bushings, tuned by Ted Jannetty and much much more
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:55 PM   #7
gunchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkstar View Post
Remove the 7 bolts from the cover. This is what the inside looks like. Remove the gears. Place the pump over the crank shaft, install the pick up tube. Then reinstall the gears. Reinstall the cover... then the mounting bolts.
This. Same way i did it. Pull the pump apart. Makes its simple to line back up when putting back together
15 Camaro SS- GPI max top end, ESS Vortech V3 9psi, ID 1050s, ZL1 pump, JMS bap, Long tubes, Corsa extreme, Circle D pro 5C, 391 rear, DSS carbon drive shaft, poly cradle bushings, tuned by Ted Jannetty and much much more
Old 02-22-2021, 07:32 PM   #8
Silverado60

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Disassemble the oil pump, remove the gear. Then you can raise the pump up and have plenty room to attach the tube. Piece of cake....
That’s some good advice. I honestly don’t know how guys are changing the pump without doing this. My rollmaster kit made assembly easier too with the lower gear being a slip fit.
I bought a couple sets of feeler gauges at harbor freight to try and center everything in the pump but that may have been overkill
Texas speed F-35 cam, rollmaster timing set, melling hp pump, ls2 chain damper, fluid damper 25% under drive, Che rocker bushings, tsp .660 lift valve springs, BBK CAI Amzoil filter with Phastek ww relocation and scoop, Gmpp axle back, Speed engineering 1 7/8" LT's no cats, Peak speed shop ported tb, NGK tr6, MSD wires, Amsoil Zrod wix, heritage grill, 1.25" BMR springs, MRR 228, Nitto Nt05,dyno tuned by complete street performance, elite eng catch can, clean side separator, Hurst shifter, Zl1 addon wickerbill
Silverado60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:43 AM   #9
Vans13SS

Quote:
That’s good advice for assembly , but my problem is I can’t get enough drop of the pan to get the pickup tube bolt out of the pump . I gotta be missing something as others have got it out .
2013 2SS LS3 M6 ... CAI , ported throttle body, comp 54-444-11 cam , Brian Tooley springs retainers and locks , CHE Trunnion kit, C5R timing Cain and gears with LS 2 tensioner block , Texas Speed 1-7/8 headers , comp 7.4 hi tech pushrods, Vitessee throttle controller , SCT Tuner with tunes by Dyno Steve
Old 02-23-2021, 06:46 AM   #10
Vans13SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunchamp View Post
This. Same way i did it. Pull the pump apart. Makes its simple to line back up when putting back together
So you guys are saying that I can disassemble the old pump and pull it up to get more room to get the bolt out ?
Old 02-23-2021, 08:29 AM   #11
Clarkstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vans13SS View Post
So you guys are saying that I can disassemble the old pump and pull it up to get more room to get the bolt out ?
Yes, you can do that too

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:31 PM   #12
gunchamp

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568830
page 2 starts the oil pump. You can see the room I had and how it should look. This is my build thread. A ton of useful info in there. Hope it helps folks out there. Any questions, just ask
Old 02-23-2021, 01:49 PM   #13
Vans13SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunchamp View Post
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568830
page 2 starts the oil pump. You can see the room I had and how it should look. This is my build thread. A ton of useful info in there. Hope it helps folks out there. Any questions, just ask
I got the pickup girdle to go on it also , I am gonna give it another shot and see what happens! Apparently I am not doing something right ! 🙄 Thanks for the link with the pics !
Old 02-23-2021, 02:23 PM   #14
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
If you don't have one already, take a 10mm box end wrench and put it to the grinder. Grind it down until it is about 1/8" thick. This will allow you to get to the bolt without dropping the pan. Additionally, once I get the bolt backed out a few turns, I take about a 24" piece of one of the wires from a CAT5 cable, bend it in half, twist it a few times so that I have about a 1" loop at the end. I then fish that loop over the head of the bolt and pull it against the threads. Once against the threads, I finish twisting the wire until it is snug to the bolt.

This method requires the use of both hands, and I use this method for removal as well as reassembly:

At the point where I do this, the bolt is basically finger loose. With my twisted wire, I can turn the bolt in either direction.

Removal: turn it in the appropriate direction as far as you can using the twisted wire, apply pressure to the bolt head with a finger from your opposite hand (to keep it from rotating) while you return your twisted wire to the starting point. Now, release finger pressure from the bolt head and rotate your twisted wire again. Repeat as necessary. When the bolt is free, it's captured in the wire twist, and can't fall into the pan.

Installation is the reverse of removal.

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote