Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-27-2020, 04:26 PM   #1
melody301
NY Football Giants YAY!!!

Drives: 2011 LS
Timing Chain Replacement at 97,000 miles

I thought the timing chain was supposed to last the life of the engine. I have a 2011 LLT with 97,000 miles and dealer just told me the check engine light is due to my timing chain. I thought timing chains last the life of the engine. Is it common to have to replace it at 97k miles? The car seems to be driving find as there isn't any noticeable performance issues.

Dealer quoted $2,500 and said it's honestly not worth it to get it done at this point because engines can sometimes have problems down the road and not run quite the same after changing the timing chain. Of course it's out of warranty.

Thoughts on whether it's worth it to get it done? I feel like after having this car for 10 years, this is the beginning of the end. The start of major problems and wondering if I should cut my losses. I'm in the market for a new vehicle so the option to trade in is available but also want to keep it as I know they aren't going to give my hardly anything for it.

Sorry for the rant just trying to get some input/feedback. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:06 PM   #2
Greencamaro1234

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
I hadn’t had this problem,and I have 147k on mine,but the same engine but have seen others say they have had the same problem. Good luck
Attached Images

Greencamaro1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:56 PM   #3
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
Do you have a code reader? Dealer is liable to tell you anything...but the truth. If cars run fine other than check eng. light. Unhooking the battery will turn that off. See if it comes back...if it does,see what the code is via code reader...parts house will read it usually.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:36 PM   #4
Steven10RS

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Build 3/2009
As suggested, read the code yourself P0008 is one of the well known timing chain codes. The LLT engine should not be run low on oil. I religiously checked and topped it off between oil changes. I just had the timing chains replaced on my 2010 at 155,000 miles. $2500 is pretty much the going rate, it’s a big job. The car is paid for and I’m hoping to get another 100k out of it. Good luck!
Steven10RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:39 PM   #5
melody301

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1660 View Post
Do you have a code reader? Dealer is liable to tell you anything...but the truth. If cars run fine other than check eng. light. Unhooking the battery will turn that off. See if it comes back...if it does,see what the code is via code reader...parts house will read it usually.
I do have a code reader and I'm getting code P0008 and P0420. Dealer is the second one to tell me this so I'm pretty sure it's the problem.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:43 PM   #6
melody301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven10RS View Post
As suggested, read the code yourself P0008 is one of the well known timing chain codes. The LLT engine should not be run low on oil. I religiously checked and topped it off between oil changes. I just had the timing chains replaced on my 2010 at 155,000 miles. $2500 is pretty much the going rate, it’s a big job. The car is paid for and I’m hoping to get another 100k out of it. Good luck!
Yep getting code P0008 - engine position system performance bank 1 and P0420 - Catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1

All this sounds expensive
Old 10-28-2020, 01:48 PM   #7
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
The dealer is yanking your chain. Engines do run right after replacing the chain. Dealers do it all the time for paying customers. They want to scare you off so you might be encouraged to trade it in for something on their lot.

It's a big job, but if you have something to drive in the meantime, you can probably crank it out in about 2-3 days taking your time. I did a head rebuild and timing chain replacement on a 2JZ-GE and it took me about 3-4 days. I had no prior experience. I just took my time after getting the rebuilt head back from the machine shop and followed the service manual.

Don't let them scare you off. Just take your time and double check everything. The 2JZ-GE ran like a top after I fixed it.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:10 PM   #8
melody301

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
The dealer is yanking your chain. Engines do run right after replacing the chain. Dealers do it all the time for paying customers. They want to scare you off so you might be encouraged to trade it in for something on their lot.

It's a big job, but if you have something to drive in the meantime, you can probably crank it out in about 2-3 days taking your time. I did a head rebuild and timing chain replacement on a 2JZ-GE and it took me about 3-4 days. I had no prior experience. I just took my time after getting the rebuilt head back from the machine shop and followed the service manual.

Don't let them scare you off. Just take your time and double check everything. The 2JZ-GE ran like a top after I fixed it.

I think you're right about the dealer. I don't however trust myself to do the work myself so I'm currently waiting on a second quote from my other mechanic.

The other part to these shenanigans is that I may have to replace the catalytic converter after getting a P0420 code. Sensor has already been change so something else is wrong. That's another $1500+ worth of work. Geeze, does it end.
Old 10-28-2020, 02:36 PM   #9
frey.199

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by melody301 View Post
I thought the timing chain was supposed to last the life of the engine. I have a 2011 LLT with 97,000 miles and dealer just told me the check engine light is due to my timing chain. I thought timing chains last the life of the engine. Is it common to have to replace it at 97k miles? The car seems to be driving find as there isn't any noticeable performance issues.

Dealer quoted $2,500 and said it's honestly not worth it to get it done at this point because engines can sometimes have problems down the road and not run quite the same after changing the timing chain. Of course it's out of warranty.

Thoughts on whether it's worth it to get it done? I feel like after having this car for 10 years, this is the beginning of the end. The start of major problems and wondering if I should cut my losses. I'm in the market for a new vehicle so the option to trade in is available but also want to keep it as I know they aren't going to give my hardly anything for it.

Sorry for the rant just trying to get some input/feedback. Thanks.
You can change out that chain yourself for $30. I'm about to do mine fairly soon, but I only have 67k miles. I'm just doing mine out of insurance of the engine. I wouldn't pay $2500 to change out a timing chain and no, LS engines can last you a long time changing your chain.
frey.199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 04:06 PM   #10
gsxrturbo

Drives: 2010 ss
SOUNDS LIKE HE HAS THE V6.NOT THE LS MOTOR,BIG DIFFERENCE
gsxrturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:08 PM   #11
Machh5
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro
After you have the chains changed do yourself a big favor and change the oil every 4-5k, run a good synthetic like Pennzoil Plat and check the oil 1 once a week and keep it full. I run 1qt over full, I'm @ 97k runs like the day I bought it. Even 1/2 qt low is going to hurt the chain life. The only lube the chains get is from vapor and splash, the lower the oil level the less slash and vapor lubing the chains. Only GM knows why they didn't properly lube the chains. I can only imagine they wanted plenty of work for the dealers. I know of some dealers that have wrenches that only change chains, that's their only job. No reason you shouldn't get another 100k if you follow my advice.
Machh5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:39 PM   #12
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by frey.199 View Post
You can change out that chain yourself for $30.

The chains (there's 3) cost more than $30, and if you can find some cheap chinese chains for $30 I would not trust them on my engine. Besides that, if you're going through all the work of changing the chains you might as well change the whole kit. Most people can't do the job on their own anyways, plenty of people would **** up their engine putting it together wrong.

Not to mention you'll need coolant, gaskets, etc
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:03 PM   #13
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
I'm think maybe he meant $300. I did a quick Google check and found an entire set for just under $500 at Advanced. $2500 at dealershaft is not surprising. The LLT is an intricate machine but this could be tackled with patience. Maybe OP can find an experienced friend or a good independent shop to accomplish the repair. Only picture is a nice looking vehicle. Cars get old and things wear out and if I recall the timing chains were a problem component in the early V6 Gen 5s. Repairs may still be cheaper that a car payment in the long run.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:29 PM   #14
Mouse330

Drives: 2011 2SS, 2006 GMC Sierra
Bank 1 cam/crank correlation code.
these timing chains stretch
I've found that they stretch about a half a link
These engines love timing chains
chains, tensioners, guides
That job pays 8 hrs
Timing chain kit roughly $400
a reputable shop should be around $1300-$1500
Mouse330 is offline   Reply With Quote