Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 06-04-2020, 02:38 PM   #1
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
If your Camaro has 6.2L, NPP, and 6-Speed...

I have a question...

On each side of the exhaust is a single tip that is controlled by an actuator. Is there a similar actuator ahead of the muffler, right after the cat?

Parts diagrams from GM all show the same generic drawing but they call out very different systems for those with manual versus auto and I am guessing that the additional actuator right after the cat is -only- on the cars without a manual transmission.

At the 2:10 mark in this video, you can see the additional actuator that is present on a car equipped with an automatic transmission. I suspect that it will NOT be present of the manual cars because they don't switch down into 4cyl mode (which is also why some of the aftermarket exhausts say they will only fit manuals).

Photos?

ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:40 PM   #2
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
That's the AFM valves only found on automatic cars.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:45 PM   #3
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
That's the AFM valves only found on automatic cars.
This is what I would expect, but the GM Parts drawings all show that part there (with a disclaimer that the drawing may not be for your car).

I am considering trying to source an NPP exhaust (muffler at least) along with two actuators and wiring them to a manual switch in order to achieve the same net effect as NPP, and want to be sure that, having a manual, I don't currently have nor need this part in the future (haven't picked the car up yet, so can't look myself right at this moment on the non-NPP setup).

That's why I was wondering about pics as the dealer I'm picking up from doesn't have any NPP cars on the lot.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:37 AM   #4
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
This is what I would expect, but the GM Parts drawings all show that part there (with a disclaimer that the drawing may not be for your car).
Like stated before, the AFM valves ahead of the muffler are only on the automatic. M6 only has the NPP valves at the tip.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:58 AM   #5
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
I know all C7s had the AFM valve but that's because even the M7 C7 has the AFM/4-cyl mode. Supposedly the car will sound like absolute crap if you pull the fuse on that one.

On an M6 Camaro, there is no such valve since there is no AFM so I don't see why you are worried.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:36 AM   #6
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
I know all C7s had the AFM valve but that's because even the M7 C7 has the AFM/4-cyl mode. Supposedly the car will sound like absolute crap if you pull the fuse on that one.

On an M6 Camaro, there is no such valve since there is no AFM so I don't see why you are worried.
Thanks for the response.

It's less about being "worried" and more about understanding the details of how the exhaust is designed/built in the M6 version. The car I am buying does not have NPP and I'm interested in swapping to a NPP-intended exhaust and adding actuators that I will manually control. If there were supposed to be an actuator just after the cat, then that would be something to be aware / mindful of and it could factor into what exhaust I seek out.

Honestly, I may just try and get my hands on a factory NPP system that someone replaced (which I could get quite cheap, I would imagine) and add the actuators and a controller. Total cost of doing this swap, including the new diffuser / valance components, would likely be at or below what it would have cost as a factory-installed option and would ultimately give me better overall control of the mode than what's built into the car from the factory.

From what I have read and seen, exhaust mode can either be "untouched" as you change driving modes, or can be switched in accordance with what -GM- believes is the correct exhaust mode to correspond with the other settings. The ideal would be to have a THIRD option (really, just a different controllable second option) that allows the owner to pick with NPP setting to use in a particular mode.

Either way, I could enable or disable the bypass with the flip of a switch, and that would also potentially give me a much easier control method for cold-starts where I want to ensure that the bypass is closed.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:06 PM   #7
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
You're severely overthinking the exhaust at this point.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:07 PM   #8
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
You're severely overthinking the exhaust at this point.
Based on what? Your opinion? I want the flexibility of NPP, and the aftermarket stuff that I've heard is either too loud overall (in order to get the sort of sound I want) or uses the control valves to drop the noise level when desired.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:44 AM   #9
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
Have you looked into HOW to control a factory NPP system with a seperate stand alone controller? I mean it's just an electric motor, so I suppose it's not hard...but if you don't know how to build something like that, and no aftermarket company makes one....I would imagine it could be difficult. Haven't looked into it so I don't know.

....on my 89 Iroc, I installed an electric exhaust cutout and it just had a regular old Double Pole Double Throw switch. Nothing exotic at all. But, ya never know how GM might have that NPP muffler system wired together.

....and I still think your best bet would be to get an aftermarket cutout system. (Not an aftermarket exhaust system with NPP, just an aftermarket cutout/valve system.) Use the stock NON Npp exhaust....the stock double tip diffuser instead of the quad tip diffuser, and the kit comes with everything, pipe, valve, wires, switch, all ready to go. PLUS....it would be LOUDER in loud mode, than if you were to have the stock NPP in loud mode.
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:25 AM   #10
ember1205
Hot Camaro

I actually have looked into the control part, and there are two options...

1) Use the electric controllers from the Gen6 and build a circuit with a simple switch to control the actuators.

2) Use the actuators from the Gen5 which are vacuum controlled and install THAT control circuit with a vacuum tank.

I don't want cutouts because they completely bypass ALL of the muffler and will be louder than what I want. Picking the car up today and will drive it for a while before I actually make any changes, but may start letting an eye out for parts.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:51 AM   #11
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Does the actuator for the Gen6 use a servo motor?

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:57 AM   #12
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
Does the actuator for the Gen6 use a servo motor?
I would imagine it does, but not 100% sure. What's your thought here?
Old 06-06-2020, 12:17 PM   #13
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
I would imagine it does, but not 100% sure. What's your thought here?
I was thinking about a potentiometer and a small circuit that could control the actuator. Label the potentiometer say with a 0-90 segment. You probably have to change where 90 is based on the physical location of the valve in relation to full open.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Ard...th-Potentiome/

Arduino kits can be purchased to avoid programming.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:13 PM   #14
ember1205
Hot Camaro

So, are you thinking in terms of variable shuttering of the valve as opposed to an all-open or all-closed sort of setting?