Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #183
PPV

Drives: 9C1

I cracked open an lsa to change out the coupler and found it already had a solid coupler. There was no wear on the shaft either. Did the factory start installing solid couplers at some point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
PPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 02:07 PM   #184
GONMAD510

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
First time I have seen one without ant grooves in it. Must have been on there since day one.
Fast 850cc Injectors, ATI Balancer, 8.66 Lower Pulley, 2.55 Upper Pulley, Lingenfelter CAI, Kooks LT with cat delete pipes, Noweeds Exhaust Cutouts (extremely loud under full throttle), BTR Stage 3 Cam, BTR Platinum 660 Valve Spring Kit, TR7ix Iridium Spark Plugs, Lingenfelter Solid Isolator, 160 Degree Thermostat, Larger SC Coolant Reservoir with Hose Relocation Kit, BMR 1.25" Lowering Springs, MGW Short Throw Shifter, Racing Brake 2 piece rotors front and rear, Starkweather Performance Custom Dyno Tune on 91 Octane.

691.38 RWHP
630.35 RWTQ
GONMAD510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:07 PM   #185
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPV View Post

I cracked open an lsa to change out the coupler and found it already had a solid coupler. There was no wear on the shaft either. Did the factory start installing solid couplers at some point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:31 PM   #186
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Curious, what kind of material is the solid isolator made of? Is it metal of some kind, rubber, or some other semi compliant material?
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:48 AM   #187
jsd

Drives: 2012 ZL 1 #370
Which part nr is your sc?
jsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:39 AM   #188
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Curious, what kind of material is the solid isolator made of? Is it metal of some kind, rubber, or some other semi compliant material?
I believe they are resin
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:04 AM   #189
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
That pics looks like the LPE solid one I installed in 2014. They since switched the OEM solid version which looks different.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:40 PM   #190
scdrj

Drives: 2014 ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Not all 14's http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=446799
scdrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:41 PM   #191
HDRDTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondZ28 View Post
I believe they are resin
I was curious because the way I understood it was explained long ago was that the rotors themselves rattle/vibrate a certain amount during normal operation as they are rotating. The spring loaded isolator was designed to absorb some of that rotor rattle.

IF that's the reason for the spring, then going to a solid (metal of some kind) isolator would cure the isolator spring wearing the grooves in the shaft, but it would then no longer help dampen the rotor lobe rattle and it would be transmitted through the solid pulley to the drive belts/etc. Thus a solid metal isolator might not be the best solution as far as limiting the rotor rattle.

If they (Eaton) modified the isolator to the spring loaded design but now with it packed with grease of some sort to help eliminate the grooving, they would have gone back to allowing the spring to help absorb the rotor rattle.

HOWEVER, if the solid isolator was made out of some compliant material, then the compliant material would act as a rattle absorber by the nature of the compliant materials properties without the need for the spring.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:28 AM   #192
scdrj

The rotors do not inherently rattle. The rattle is a product of the lash between the rotor coupling gears as the experience continuous drive to coast. The spring coupler loads, and unloads in an attempt to silence what would otherwise rattle. The slack in the spring coupler actually caused as many problems as it attempted to fix by facilitating the very same rattle in many units. The groves in the shaft "themselves" are of little consequence, but the shrapnel they make has shown the ability to enter the drive rotor bearing in the front directly behind the coupler.

The solid coupler allowed rattling in several units too, but at least it did not make metal filings. I assume GM or Eaton threw a party when one of their brilliant engineers figured out that a heavy greased spring unit would make better all things. The grease would lubricate making the tension more linear with less wear to the shaft. It would help damp the spring coupler. And, it would catch the shrapnel. YEAH!

Only one small problem... It is not 100%. Hence my car. It turned out to be a greased spring unit. The grease caught all the powder, but had slung outward to create a grease halo of sorts. The accumulation settled at the bottom of the bore until substantial enough to start drifting back. I'm sure operating temps helped this process. The grease actually helped all the metal make its way directly to the rotor bearing. BTW, my pilot shaft looked as bad as any of them at 11k miles. Three dealerships and GM customer service acknowledged my problem, but refused to do anything about it. While you technically void your warranty by having someone helpful repair your car, do not worry....that warranty at worth a squirt of pi$$.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:49 AM   #193
ODB Racing

Drives: 2015 ZL1
I have a '15. So from what I'm reading my '15 should have the solid isolator from GM?
Old 04-09-2018, 08:15 AM   #194
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODB Racing View Post
I have a '15. So from what I'm reading my '15 should have the solid isolator from GM?
Yes.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:30 AM   #195
HDRDTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by scdrj View Post
The rotors do not inherently rattle. The rattle is a product of the lash between the rotor coupling gears as the experience continuous drive to coast. The spring coupler loads, and unloads in an attempt to silence what would otherwise rattle. The slack in the spring coupler actually caused as many problems as it attempted to fix by facilitating the very same rattle in many units. The groves in the shaft "themselves" are of little consequence, but the shrapnel they make has shown the ability to enter the drive rotor bearing in the front directly behind the coupler.

The solid coupler allowed rattling in several units too, but at least it did not make metal filings. I assume GM or Eaton threw a party when one of their brilliant engineers figured out that a heavy greased spring unit would make better all things. The grease would lubricate making the tension more linear with less wear to the shaft. It would help damp the spring coupler. And, it would catch the shrapnel. YEAH!

Only one small problem... It is not 100%. Hence my car. It turned out to be a greased spring unit. The grease caught all the powder, but had slung outward to create a grease halo of sorts. The accumulation settled at the bottom of the bore until substantial enough to start drifting back. I'm sure operating temps helped this process. The grease actually helped all the metal make its way directly to the rotor bearing. BTW, my pilot shaft looked as bad as any of them at 11k miles. Three dealerships and GM customer service acknowledged my problem, but refused to do anything about it. While you technically void your warranty by having someone helpful repair your car, do not worry....that warranty at worth a squirt of pi$$.
I didn't remember the actual cause of the inherent 'rattle', so I simply referred to it as the 'rotor rattle'. Thank you for pointing it out that it's actually the rotor gears and their gear lash that is the source of the 'rattle' that the isolator is trying to minimize before it gets transmitted to the drive belt.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:23 AM   #196
scdrj

I'm not trying to school you as much as I'm trying to point out that the problem has not really been fixed. Not at least at the time my 14' was built. If it has been solved now, GM does not seem to be willing to help me out

BTW, transmitting it to the belt hurts nothing. If nothing else, the belt and tensioner would have the potential to help damp it further.