Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launching Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 04-29-2018, 01:40 PM   #1
Timbo-1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
1LE to try 1 Mile @ Kennedy Space Center

Hey,

Looking for any tips, I have a 2017 SS 1LE, have tracked it several times, but had a chance to do 1 mile time trials on the Shuttle Landing strip, since I worked there for 12 years, thought it would be a bucket list item.

Not trying to break any records, but assume this is like bracket racing (Did in the past, get a good solid launch), and use the no lift shift.

Know I need to run higher tire pressures, any other tips?

Thanks,

Tim
Timbo-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 05:57 PM   #2
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
You will very likely not have dragstrip-like traction on that airstrip and that means wheelspin will be quite easy. So when you're leaving the line, you will probably not be able to go WFO right away, in which case just get into the throttle as the tires can take it. The mile is all about the big end.

Suggestion, learn where the course is and where the mile is timed at so you know when it's time to slow down. When I hear of people having trouble on paved landspeed tracks, it's often that they lost track of where they are on the course. If there is a rookie orientation available, learn what you can before you make any runs. Just like the road course, if you understand beforehand what you need to do, it will go more smoothly.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:35 AM   #3
markblackwell

Drives: 2015 991 Turbo S, 2016 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo-1LE View Post
Hey,

Looking for any tips, I have a 2017 SS 1LE, have tracked it several times, but had a chance to do 1 mile time trials on the Shuttle Landing strip, since I worked there for 12 years, thought it would be a bucket list item.

Not trying to break any records, but assume this is like bracket racing (Did in the past, get a good solid launch), and use the no lift shift.

Know I need to run higher tire pressures, any other tips?

Thanks,

Tim
I have run the Mojave mile and mile and 1/2 many times, the start in the mile really means nothing just get on out as fast as you can with out much wheel spin and then let her rip. On my Stock 2016 ss I ran 160 in the mile at 3,500 elevation and 171 in the mile and 1/2.

Its a lot of fun enjoy it
markblackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:25 PM   #4
Timbo-1LE

Thanks for the tip. Event owner just called and said only 11 cars, so lots of runs... And they are going to do a 2.5 mile run, that should wind it out. Anyone ever run a M6 LT1 car until it would not pull anymore? Have seen top end listed at 165 and some offshoot said 189, which I do not believe. You hit 171, felt stable i assume? Previous top for myself was 151 at Daytona front stretch...
Old 05-04-2018, 04:34 PM   #5
Timbo-1LE

Btw, did you use PTM race mode as manual states or just left as is? Sport 2 and Race will disable stability control, which probably cannot do much at that speed and mass of car.. Say if you had a tire issue...
Old 05-05-2018, 05:34 AM   #6
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo-1LE View Post
Thanks for the tip. Event owner just called and said only 11 cars, so lots of runs... And they are going to do a 2.5 mile run, that should wind it out. Anyone ever run a M6 LT1 car until it would not pull anymore? Have seen top end listed at 165 and some offshoot said 189, which I do not believe. You hit 171, felt stable i assume? Previous top for myself was 151 at Daytona front stretch...
I didn't mention it in my first post, but I ran 171 in the mile with bolt-ons, and 160 in the mile bone stock, in a regular SS, not a 1LE. Car feels stable to me, obviously in a crosswind you need to keep it going where you want to, but that's not a stability issue.

The stock tune in my SS had a governor at 180, I have not seen a tune from a 1LE. With the long run (thought those guys did 2.3 for their long runs?) you should be up where it's really struggling to accelerate.

As far as modes, my car is not a 1LE, so it does not have PTM. I used 'Track' mode when I ran my car. You are smart to think about tires, make sure there is no damage to them before you go.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 11:01 AM   #7
Timbo-1LE

Thanks and will let you know how it goes... Agree on hitting the aero wall, figure the top of fifth...