Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

AWE Tuning

Old 01-09-2017, 12:58 PM   #15
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
Manual, page 338

Recommended Fluids, Lubricants, and Parts

Hydraulic Brake/Clutch System DOT 3 Hydraulic Brake Fluid (GM Part No. 19299818, in Canada 19299819).
Pretty sure this was disputed a few times on here months and months ago. Someone said the V8 Camaros and Corvettes have GM DOT 4 in them...I'll try to find the thread.

Regardless, if I was doing a brake fluid upgrade, I would not bother with GM stuff, Motul is all I would use.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:48 PM   #16
AndyUK

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
I use RBF600.

There's only one brake fluid in the manual and it's definitely the part number for a DOT3 fluid. I wasn't recommending anyone actually use that though.

Checking my oil this morning I notice the fluid cap even has DOT3 stamped on it.

Last edited by AndyUK; 01-10-2017 at 08:24 AM.
AndyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:09 PM   #17
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
OK- now that temps have dropped, I'm really disappointed with manual shifting on my SS 6spd.

Whats the the fix? Replace the factory fluid or change to AMSoil or what?

I was initially impressed with stock shifting when I got my 2017 in warm weather, but now it's not so great. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:08 PM   #18
TtheC

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS 6 speed manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
OK- now that temps have dropped, I'm really disappointed with manual shifting on my SS 6spd.

I was initially impressed with stock shifting when I got my 2017 in warm weather, but now it's not so great. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
My problem was I didn't put enough fluid back in when I changed the fluid. I parked it until I could get back under there. I replaced the original fluid with royal purple and it shifts better than ever. Hope this helps
TtheC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:02 AM   #19
2016 1ss

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post

Thanks in advance!
I did amsoil d4 fluid and I love it. It smoothed the shifting some and dropped temps.
2016 1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:36 PM   #20
Ventmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TtheC View Post
My problem was I didn't put enough fluid back in when I changed the fluid. I parked it until I could get back under there. I replaced the original fluid with royal purple and it shifts better than ever. Hope this helps
Thanks guys- which Royal Purple trans fluid did you use?
I've used AMSoil before but had best results from the RP (even tough I thought it must be a gimmick- the stuff worked!)
Thanks again!

Also- I thought they all (SS's), had coolers. So what is the capacity?
Old 01-27-2017, 09:27 PM   #21
TtheC

Www.royalpurple.com should be able to tell ya everything you need to know. I believe it's 5.2 qts for the tyranny with cooler.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:42 AM   #22
MuhThugga
Poppycock

Drives: Pontiac GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
Pretty sure this was disputed a few times on here months and months ago. Someone said the V8 Camaros and Corvettes have GM DOT 4 in them...I'll try to find the thread.

Regardless, if I was doing a brake fluid upgrade, I would not bother with GM stuff, Motul is all I would use.
I prefer ATE. It sucks that they were forced to get rid of their Super Blue fluid, but the Type 200 is the same stuff, just amber in color.
MuhThugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 05:39 PM   #23
Ventmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TtheC View Post
Thanks "C". I found the drain/fill plugs- looks like a PIA to reach the drain. Did you remove the brace altogether?

Looks like Royal Purple Synchromax is my next move... thanks again for your info, it's pretty hard to come by around here!
Old 01-29-2017, 05:51 PM   #24
TtheC

No I didn't remove anything, but the fill plug and then the drain plug. Fill plug first so it wouldn't splash when the drain plug was removed. I used an extension for my ratchet and went over the top of that line that runs kind of in the way.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:07 AM   #25
tarmac

Drives: 17 HBM 1LE
where under the car did you find the drain and fill plugs
tarmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:46 AM   #26
TtheC

It's on the drivers side of the transmission. Drain plug is also the heat sensor for the transmission so it has a wire with a quick disconnect on it. The fill plug is directly above the drain plug. I believe the fill plug is a 3/8 ratchet to remove it. Just the ratchet no socket.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:53 AM   #27
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
The brake fluid is DOT 4, I can't think of a car that came with DOT 3 in it in years. If you are thinking better performing fluid, you just want a fluid with a higher temp rating like what Motul would make. Just remember that those high temp rated fluids can get more moisture in them and therefore require changes much more often then fluid with regular temp ratings.
Are you sure? I thought our cars came with DOT 3? I just swapped to Motul DOT 4
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:20 AM   #28
tarmac

Drives: 17 HBM 1LE
page 347 of the owners manual states the part# for manual transmission fluid is 88861800 and not dot 3 brake fluid?
tarmac is offline   Reply With Quote