Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-02-2016, 01:17 PM   #71
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
If there is a new engine for the Z/28, I'm surprised we haven't heard anything about it. There was a lot of talk about the 5.2 Voodoo before it came out, and even rumors of the LT4 well before it was announced.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:35 PM   #72
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
I personally am struggling to rationalize a new NA motor. I think we are looking at a high revving, small displacement, Twin Turbo motor. I just don't think they are going to sell enough of these cars to justify an engine just for this car. Doesn't the Caddy have a TT v6 in their current lineup? Think about what the Z/28 is supposed to be...a road course track car which means it does not need crazy HP, but if it is lighter, spins fast, and helps balance the car....you could foresee that motor being used as much as the traditionalist, including myself, would struggle moving away from the original 302DZ concept. As much as I hate to say it, FI is the future unless GM has something incredible up their sleeve.

Last edited by mkorgan; 05-02-2016 at 02:53 PM.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:34 PM   #73
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
I personally am struggling to rationalize a new NA motor. I think we are looking at a high revving, small displacement, Twin Turbo motor. I just don't think they are going to sell enough of these cars to justify an engine just for this car. Doesn't the Caddy have a TT v6 in their current lineup? Think about what the Z/28 is supposed to be...a road course track car which means it does not need crazy HP, but if it is lighter, spins fast, and helps balance the car....you could foresee that motor being used as much as the traditionalist, including myself, would struggle moving away from the original 302DZ concept. As much as I hate to say it, FI is the future unless GM has something incredible up their sleeve.
Essentially the TT V6 in the Caddy ATS-V was the alternative to placing the LT1 in it. I have even heard the Camaro SS mentioned as the ATS-V powertrain GM should have used.

So the TT V6 wouldn't be a candidate for the Z/28. That would be a lateral move.

I'm expecting a hopped up LT1 branded as some other LT# around 530 HP
OR
A new engine will be introduced in the new Performance variant of the Corvette next year and that will also be placed in the Z/28 for 2018.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:52 PM   #74
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
If GM wants to charge $75k for the Z/28, then that car is worthy of it's own engine. If GM wants the Camaro to compete with the Mustang, it needs an engine to compete with the 5.2 Voodoo.

The LF4 from the ATS-V basically replicates the LT1. There is no reason to put it in a Z/28.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:49 PM   #75
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
If GM wants to charge $75k for the Z/28, then that car is worthy of it's own engine. If GM wants the Camaro to compete with the Mustang, it needs an engine to compete with the 5.2 Voodoo.

The LF4 from the ATS-V basically replicates the LT1. There is no reason to put it in a Z/28.
+1
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote