Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

Phastek Performance

View Poll Results: Should they offer the 10 speed auto?
Yes they should do it! More choice = More sales! 84 60.43%
No they shouldn't! This car is about tradition and a pure driving experience! 55 39.57%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-22-2016, 05:42 PM   #29
Sidedraft

Drives: Jeep Wrangler
Nope.
Sidedraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:43 PM   #30
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
And that's why the majority of Camaros will have an optional auto trans. Having one or two models that don't won't kill the Camaro. 99.99% of Camaro owners don't want a car with brakes, aero and tires a Z/28 will come with. They want long lasting all seasons for driving to the grocery store.
And what about the people who want what the Z/28 has to offer but cannot or will not drive a manual?

Would having an automatic option on the Z/28 make the manual any less pure?
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:59 PM   #31
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
And what about the people who want what the Z/28 has to offer but cannot or will not drive a manual?
If we're talking about physically impaired people...I feel for them...if we're talking about the lazy...I have no pity.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:05 PM   #32
Sidedraft

Drives: Jeep Wrangler
As far as the people who won't ever drive a manual:

Years ago a lot of people chose the automatic transmission because they couldn't be bothered to learn how to drive a manual. They settled for years with a compromised slush box while the manual owners stole all the glory. Now, they are still settling for a compromised driving experience, but at least the automatics as faster. Much, much faster. It's not even a choice: if you want to GO FAST you are looking at an A8 or an A10.

I would argue, though, that those people would have bought the automatic even if it was slower than the manual. Because they can't be bothered to learn anyway. Being faster is just another excuse in the quiver when someone points out that you're too lazy to learn how to drive.

It's as if the ability to drive a car with a manual transmission is a super power available only to a select few, granted through some obscure, implausible method like getting dunked in a barrel of petroleum, or coming into contact with a radioactive lug nut. Circumstances completely unobtainable by ordinary people. At least that's what it feels like when conversing with people who can't be bothered to try.

If you are physically unable to drive a car equipped with a manual transmission then you have a legitimate gripe. GM would be happy to sell you a SS or ZL1 with an automatic transmission if you have to be in a Camaro. Otherwise, I don't think the Z28 should be watered down because people are unwilling to learn how to drive it.
Sidedraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:23 PM   #33
Desert Dweller

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #334
Absolutely not. Leave that option for the ZL1
Old 03-22-2016, 07:35 PM   #34
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post

Would having an automatic option on the Z/28 make the manual any less pure?
The Z/28 isn't the only hi po Camaro available.

Look at the Z06. It went from a coupe, manual only car to now it's not even a fix roof coupe. I feel that does take away the purity.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:47 PM   #35
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:

Look at the Z06. It went from a coupe, manual only car to now it's not even a fix roof coupe. I feel that does take away the purity.
So is it a desire/ego thing? There's no doubt the Z06 is remarkably faster than any outgoing model despite it's "unpure" upgrades.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:48 PM   #36

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
...Can't remember where I saw it....but isn't there now a new 6-speed manual that has only one overdrive gear (6th)?....That would be what I'd want in a Z/28....I've tracked my Camaro in 5th, and it's sort of a dog in that gear....Manuals aren't old news yet. Plus, I don't think they'd make enough Z/28s to go with manual and automatic...

The ZL-1 may be the guinea pig for this 10 speed auto...If it can hold up on the most powerful and heaviest Camaro, and gets good reviews for tracking we may see it in other models of Camaro, but not the Z/28...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:49 PM   #37
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:

Yes it's the purity of the experience. Even Porsche realizes that (now) with their new "R" model 911.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:53 PM   #38
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
So is it a desire/ego thing? There's no doubt the Z06 is remarkably faster than any outgoing model despite it's "unpure" upgrades.
What would you think if GM rolled out a front wheel drive, 4 door, 4 cylinder and called it a Camaro? The SS was AWD TTV6. Would you consider that a Camaro?

Sure, the Z06 is awesome. Just think how fast it would be if I didn't weigh 3500 lbs.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:55 PM   #39
HomeBrewer

Drives: 2017 2SS
If I was buying one, it would be a manual and pretty much a track car, but I have no problem with them providing an option for auto.
HomeBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:09 PM   #40
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
...Can't remember where I saw it....but isn't there now a new 6-speed manual that has only one overdrive gear (6th)?....That would be what I'd want in a Z/28....
Yes, that's the manual option in the ZL1.

Quote:
What would you think if GM rolled out a front wheel drive, 4 door, 4 cylinder and called it a Camaro? The SS was AWD TTV6. Would you consider that a Camaro?

Sure, the Z06 is awesome. Just think how fast it would be if I didn't weigh 3500 lbs.
I guess, then, it depends on what features you consider are essential to be a pure representation of the original. And perhaps that's where "factions" form.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:36 PM   #41
brick777

Drives: 1999 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
If we're talking about physically impaired people...I feel for them...if we're talking about the lazy...I have no pity.
Thank you Mr. Wyndham…exactly the point ! People with impairments are no less entitled to to be able to purchase an engineering feat such as the Z28, just because others feel that Chevrolet should not include the option of the A10. And doing so would do just that, it would exclude them from being able to enjoy what others so eagerly seek as well.
Especially if just for the argument that it would somehow discredit the notion of "purity" from a legendary car. The concept of purity has it's constructs from so many different perspectives, ideas, experiences, etc. And, as time goes by this concept must adapt. Thank you Mr. Wyndham for your thoughtfulness.
brick777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:06 AM   #42
maraging

Drives: 15 1ss 1le
No
maraging is offline   Reply With Quote