Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-12-2016, 12:39 PM   #29
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustya View Post
Glen I got 6 free oil changes with the dealer about to hit 1500 miles and go get my first done. Now they are not going to use full synthetic do you think there is an issue with getting the oil changed at the dealer then switching over to full after I have used up all 6 ? I was told they use synthetic blend not full.

Would like your advice on this as you seem to be quite knowledgeable on the V6
No problem at all....The great debate between semi synthetic, ( which is what they're going to use) and synthetic, is vastly overrated for a daily driver. Choose a good oil that meets the dexos standard, and change it per the oil minder in the car, or every 5000 miles or so.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:52 PM   #30
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
No problem at all....The great debate between semi synthetic, ( which is what they're going to use) and synthetic, is vastly overrated for a daily driver. Choose a good oil that meets the dexos standard, and change it per the oil minder in the car, or every 5000 miles or so.
Perfect thanks
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:26 PM   #31
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkReaper View Post
Are you saying the factory oil drain plug is 19m? Because the SS is for sure 15mm
Was about to ask the same thing... just used a 15mm
Attached Images

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:23 PM   #32
Vectors2Final

Drives: 17' Camaro 2SS 16' Jeep GC SRT
Sub'd
Vectors2Final is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:06 AM   #33
Lurhq343

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro 3.6L V6 RS
Great Read!

I have not yet changed my oil, but plan to this weekend. Current milage is about 1050 or so. I want to get these shavings out ASAP.

Here are the items I bought:

Oil: Walmart, Mobil 1 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil. +an Extra Quart, just in case.

Oil Filter: Amazon, Mobil 1 M1-212 Extended Performance Oil Filter

Oil Plug: eBay, Magnetic Oil Pan Drain Plug LS1 LQ9 LQ4 LS2 ls3 corvette Camaro

I already have those ramps. They are the best!!

Looking forward to changing this weekend. Will keep everyone posted.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:28 AM   #34
Vectors2Final

I really don't feel like running a blended oil, so I'll be changing my own oil as well.

I'm not a big fan of Mobile 1, though.

I'm probably going to run T6.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:30 AM   #35
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectors2Final View Post
I really don't feel like running a blended oil, so I'll be changing my own oil as well.

I'm not a big fan of Mobile 1, though.
I don't think it makes a damn bit of difference with a daily driver ,but I've moved to Pennzoil platinum syn since this original post
Old 09-20-2016, 10:46 AM   #36
MovieGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I think where full synthetic oil shines is when your car sits for weeks on end between starts. That was why I kept synthetic in my Firebird. Synthetic tends to stay on the parts in your engine much longer so cold starts do less damage. Now that I am retired, and not reserving a car for emergency 400 mile trips to see my mother since she passed, I think the only time my Camaro will be sitting is when there is snow on the streets. Or when it is raining. I think if you drive your car regularly a synthetic blend is fine.

Life after retirement
MovieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:50 AM   #37
Vectors2Final

I have a truck as a daily driver. I've been driving the Camaro lately, but I'll be driving it a lot less here soon. Maybe once a week, or so is about how often I will drive it.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:27 AM   #38
central limit

Drives: 2016 1LT M6
Glen e, thanks for the excellent post. I went with this drain valve and it is definitely a great alternative to the Fumoto. High quality construction, very positive shut-off, and of course that great low profile.

Regarding interference between the ramps and the black trim pieces, I actually place the ramps behind the front tires and reverse onto them. In my case, I still had to remove a "stopper" wedge on the top of my DIY ramps though--this car is so low. As an aside, reversing on to ramps for the first time really showcased how refined the clutch actuation is, though I can only speak for the V6/M6.

And to add to the mix, I believe my OEM drain bolt was 14mm. I suppose the wisest thing would be to have a bunch of sizes handy for that first oil change.

Also, in my case, my drain and refill was about 5.5 quarts or so. In addition to the dip stick, I also base this on the graduations on my used oil container.

In case anyone plans to use a cap-style filter wrench, the best fit I found for the PF63e was 74/76 mm. The one I got from Advance Auto seats well on the filter, but when seated the 3/8" drive tip can only go in partially. Plenty of leverage for the job though.

Cheers all,
CL
central limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:46 AM   #39
dw22racer

Drives: Black 1LT V-6 A8 2016
Thanks for posting this! Isn't the oil filter up top beside the engine? Was very easy to change on my C5 Camaro. I'm waiting for a post on how to remove engine cover on LGX without hurting it.
DROOLING OVER 2017 ZL1 (BLACK, OF COURSE)

dw22racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:59 AM   #40
central limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw22racer View Post
Thanks for posting this! Isn't the oil filter up top beside the engine? Was very easy to change on my C5 Camaro. I'm waiting for a post on how to remove engine cover on LGX without hurting it.
The oil filter is bottom-mounted next to the drain plug. Both are accessible without removing any panels. The filter is not particularly difficult to change, but is is recessed, so one should take care to inspect and clean the seating surface before spinning a new one on. Also see Glen's tip in the original post regarding using a freezer bag to catch the filter and the oil that leaks out when removing it.

I haven't tried removing the engine cover, but I can tell you it's not necessary for an oil change.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:52 AM   #41
Glen e

Update: BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS, SEE IF THE ORIGNAL POST ANSWERS YOU.

so after 9 months I changed the oil to penzoil ultra platinum It could not have been easier and not a drop on my gloves or the ground. Drain took about 10 min. Filter fell into the bag and I was down the road in 25 min. I love this valve. A nice little added advantage is the tubing is surgical so it goes exactly where you want doesn't crimp up etc.

Last edited by Glen e; 09-30-2016 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:28 PM   #42
central limit

Glen,

Thanks again for the recommendation on the Stahlbus. After installing the valve on my first oil change 1,500 miles ago, I decided to do my first post-break in change.

All went well and clean, as you described... except there was a few drops of oil inside the secondary cap when I removed it to attach the hose and coupling. It wasn't enough to overflow the cap, but then again it was only 1,500 miles worth of driving. The outside of the cap was dry, as was the mating surface around the body of the plug and the crush washer.

Did you find any oil in the secondary cap when you removed it to drain?

Thanks again, still a great product.