Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-18-2017, 11:17 AM   #1
douglas2742

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS coupe
'17 SS break in period

Question: I haven't bought American muscle since my '99 Vette which I sold in '12; since then owned an Audi TT RS, Audi S5 a few GTI's. Those cars all had a 500 mile break in period before full throttle and high RPM driving. I was surprised by the very conservative recommendations for the SS of 1500 miles of under 4000 RPM and avoiding aggressive throttle driving. Is this cut in stone? For the limited driving I'll be doing with this car it could take me 5 months before hitting 1500. Thanks.
douglas2742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:46 AM   #2
7stringtheory

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE
dude just do essentially what I did. get on google maps. find a location that is 750 miles away from you, and drive there.
7stringtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:12 PM   #3
AndyUK

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
The manual says avoid full throttle starts, it doesn't say never go full throttle. There is still fun to be had below 4k rpm
AndyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:11 PM   #4
7stringtheory

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Yes i cant count the number of mustangs and challengers who apparently wanted some that i was able to wipe the floor with without going over 4k lol
7stringtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:40 PM   #5
ckahsen

Drives: 2014 LS
I'm bordering the line with breaking in as well. Keeping load low, no digs, minimize hard down shifts, and keeping it below 4500 rpm for the most part. At 505 miles now, so I've been slowing getting a bit more aggressive. The first 350 miles I took it pretty easy.

That being said, I too have had some fun with the myriad of TCs, mustangs, and even a 3 series BMW that thought they had a bone to pick lol.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
ckahsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:02 PM   #6
Hyperlinkblue

Drives: 2017 1ss m6. Blue.....
210 miles on mine and i basically am driving it how i want to now, i dont thrash on it to hard but ive prolly went to around 6k rpms 10 times so far, just make sure its warmed up to operating temp. I have not launched the car, just rowed threw two gear then i let off. Im positive if you baby it to much i think youll end up with higher oil consumption. Your cylinders will glaze over lightly causing the rings not to seat, i firmly believe the first 100 miles are actually the most important. Gm i think is covering there ass and what they really mean is no racing the car where your really running it hard for a long periods. And when you warm it up give it light throttle etc dont let it sit there and idle for ten minutes.... the engine needs oil preassure. I can tell you engine builders through there cars or engines on a dyno and basically seat the rings and make sure its running right then they run it. So dont race your car but id say your safe now to go threh 2 gears and what not at WOT. When i used to race motocross id warm my new bikes up with low revs, do a easy lap then id rip it, and those engines redline at 14k and i never had a new motocross bike engine let go because of break in or have the bikes burn oil because of break in. This is my opinion and also the enigines in our cars go through a diagnostic check before our car leaves the factory, i cant verify what they run the engine up to but they run all of theme and they have to meet strict requirements while hooked up to diagnostic equipment. I too was very shocked at the 1500 mile break in guidlines in the manual but what really stuck with me was the no racing or track events. Wonder what magazines do like car and driver where the cars are brand new and there trackig them, doubt they were broken in...
Hyperlinkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:05 PM   #7
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Another one of these? Do a search you will find tons of threads about this with every possible viewpoint.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:53 AM   #8
OminouSS

Drives: Red Hot track candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperlinkblue View Post
210 miles on mine and i basically am driving it how i want to now, i dont thrash on it to hard but ive prolly went to around 6k rpms 10 times so far, just make sure its warmed up to operating temp. I have not launched the car, just rowed threw two gear then i let off. Im positive if you baby it to much i think youll end up with higher oil consumption. Your cylinders will glaze over lightly causing the rings not to seat, i firmly believe the first 100 miles are actually the most important. Gm i think is covering there ass and what they really mean is no racing the car where your really running it hard for a long periods. And when you warm it up give it light throttle etc dont let it sit there and idle for ten minutes.... the engine needs oil preassure. I can tell you engine builders through there cars or engines on a dyno and basically seat the rings and make sure its running right then they run it. So dont race your car but id say your safe now to go threh 2 gears and what not at WOT. When i used to race motocross id warm my new bikes up with low revs, do a easy lap then id rip it, and those engines redline at 14k and i never had a new motocross bike engine let go because of break in or have the bikes burn oil because of break in. This is my opinion and also the enigines in our cars go through a diagnostic check before our car leaves the factory, i cant verify what they run the engine up to but they run all of theme and they have to meet strict requirements while hooked up to diagnostic equipment. I too was very shocked at the 1500 mile break in guidlines in the manual but what really stuck with me was the no racing or track events. Wonder what magazines do like car and driver where the cars are brand new and there trackig them, doubt they were broken in...
You ever seen a piston after a cold seizure?
Old 03-09-2017, 10:23 AM   #9
Hyperlinkblue

Drives: 2017 1ss m6. Blue.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by OminouSS View Post
You ever seen a piston after a cold seizure?
Yup, you know I think you misunderstood me. I said light revs which I mean 2k Rpms and not to let it sit there and idle for ten minutes. This won't cause a cold seizure oh oh and since your being so technical it's forged pistons you really have to worry about cold seizing....
Hyperlinkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:09 PM   #10
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
One method many go fast guys I've known have always used is to break it in like you want it to run. After it's warmed up of course. There are different opinions all over the place on it. I like to do several hard acceleration runs in 3rd gear, then completely let off and let it engine brake.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:54 PM   #11
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
I have exceeded the 4k limit but not gone past 5 k. I vary my cruising rpm too.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote