Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

View Poll Results: The Wing - your vote?
Love it, want it, gotta have it. 73 54.48%
Ridiculous Ricer wannabe look - can't stand it. 19 14.18%
Meh, don't care either way. 16 11.94%
I need to see more and I hope it is optional just in case I like it! 26 19.40%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-15-2016, 06:42 PM   #29
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
+1. Z_Rocks....have you met the Viper ACR?

I can assure you they wouldn't be driving the cars around the Nurburgring with that equipment if they weren't production-intent. They have a wind tunnel to toy around with aerodynamics. Testing at Nordschleife is not cheap, and they don't waste their time there.

Also, I want to raise a point...wings are airfoils. A teardrop-profile shaped blade that uses deltas between high and low pressure of moving air to create lift/downforce. And they are enormously beneficial to high-speed vehicles in that they generate tons of downforce when designed and applied correctly (think about how a many-ton airplane is lifted into the sky), without generating an obnoxious amount of drag while doing it.

One of the big reasons the Z06 Corvette doesn't reach quite as high speeds as some of it's similarly-powered competitors is drag. The low gurney-flap style spoiler is so aggressive for downforce...it also steals top speed mph, and efficiency mpg from the car.

Now, the Camaro has way too much frontal area to directly compete on the same levels as the Z06...however, this giant wing is no doubt the most effective way to get the car to do what they want it to do...without turning it into a big parachute at speed.

I am DYING to know what levels of downforce pressures they're generating with this setup.

As long as these wings are functional...then IMO, they're not "ricer wannabes", its called physics and engineering.
I guess I'm just too old fashioned to really get my head around a wing, especially one this big. I'm still going to pick between the 1LE and ZL1 and leave the Z28 for you younger guys and gals. I'm just so glad that Chevy is making so many models available that we can freely pick and choose whatever our tastes desire.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:30 PM   #30
init4fun

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary
Not a fan. I'm sure that is simply a development piece to figure out what works and the production car will have something that looks much less cheap tuner mag add-on. I don't mind tall wings as long as they're functional but this looks hacked together.

I'm all about function over form but that thing is bad. If that makes production there better be a ducktail or SS wing in the trunk for daily duty and leave that for track work.
init4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:03 PM   #31
Ghost7997

Drives: 2014 Ultimate Track SS "Weapon-X"
Sorry to disappoint, but this car is Chevy's track oriented model. Road practicality is the least of the Camaro Team's worries. This wing seems to be a fully functional piece of equipment, no matter the taste of the public. This car, like the new ZL1, has most likely been thrown through the wind tunnel for many hours to perfect the aerodynamic capability.

Ghost7997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:08 PM   #32
Camaroguy555

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2016 1SS NPP 6MT MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
I highly doubt that wing will be in the production model. They're doing extreme down force from the front and the back. Neither that front or spoiler will make it to production.
I don't know why they would test a vehicle with aero components that aren't being considered for production.
Camaroguy555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:19 PM   #33
crabman

Drives: Sniffin the tree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
I guess I'm just too old fashioned to really get my head around a wing, especially one this big. I'm still going to pick between the 1LE and ZL1 and leave the Z28 for you younger guys and gals. I'm just so glad that Chevy is making so many models available that we can freely pick and choose whatever our tastes desire.
Well said. While I appreciate this car for what it will be my old bones appreciates all the comforts it wont have. It is a great time to be an enthusiast, no question.
crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:33 PM   #34
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
I like it... and if its retractable, i'll like it even more. I still prefer the classic ducktail spoiler for looks, but if its functional, then bring on the big wang!
Old 05-18-2016, 03:34 PM   #35
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn9cian805 View Post
I like it... and if its retractable, i'll like it even more. I still prefer the classic ducktail spoiler for looks, but if its functional, then bring on the big wang!
If that's a typo it's hilarious. If it's not it's still hilarious. And yes I have a juvenile sense of humor.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:54 PM   #36
ender2664
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 2SS
Not a chance in hell!
ender2664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:49 AM   #37
Tractionless

Drives: '03 Silverado
I like it so much, I wish it had one in the front as well! Help keep that front end planted when reversing.

Tractionless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:28 AM   #38
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
If that's a typo it's hilarious. If it's not it's still hilarious. And yes I have a juvenile sense of humor.
lol not a typo, its an ongoing ricer/tuner joke from my younger "the fast and the furriest" days... a buddy of mine had a huge spoiler and bumper nuts, and had a sticker on his civic's rear window that said "check out ma' big wang!" I got the same sense of humor, and that wont change lol
Old 05-20-2016, 11:46 AM   #39
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
'The big wang' comment made me laugh because it reminded of Tim Meadows and his 'The Lady's Man' skits on SNL. He as always commenting on 'wangs'...

Hilarious.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote