Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

AWE Tuning

Old 08-18-2018, 08:32 PM   #155
aland12345

Drives: 2016 Bright Yellow Camaro vert
A lot of confusing information here. 1 post says the donor car was a non rs/ss (so i would think they would work with no issues on a LT) Others saying you still need load resistor and harness. Has any one with a LS or LT received theses lights and tried them?
aland12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:54 PM   #156
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by aland12345 View Post
A lot of confusing information here. 1 post says the donor car was a non rs/ss (so i would think they would work with no issues on a LT) Others saying you still need load resistor and harness. Has any one with a LS or LT received theses lights and tried them?

Shouldn’t be confusing.

To run LED lamps on a LS or LT (non-RS/SS) you need resistor harnesses for the LED bulbs to function without a bulb out error.

The difference between the LS/LT and RS/SS is that the conversion harnesses available for the LS/LT for LED bulbs works with the BCM of those cars however it doesn’t work with the BCM for the RS/SS cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:12 PM   #157
TWick72

Drives: '17 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post
Fair enough. They don't do anything about that kind of stuff around here. Not to say it's not illegal, they just don't enforce it. We got lifted parking lot queen trucks driving around with light bars everywhere front and back and get nothing done about it.
I am in AL as well and highly doubt i would ever get pulled over for it, but you never know.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:45 AM   #158
Sheriff37
Do it for Dale

Drives: '16 NFGray V6 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
Well, bad news.

The lights are not designed to work with any RS or SS equipped Camaro. They hyperflash. I already had the Gen5DIY reverse bulb harness, which does not change their behavior. I removed the resistor harness and got the same thing.

Unfortunately, that's all I have. I can't recommend them unless you have a non-RS/SS car and/or are willing to deal with hyperflashing. I put them back in the box and will reach out to the supplier soon.
That's so disappointing to hear, I really like the way the turn signals are done. Oh well
Sheriff37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:19 PM   #159
Skyset

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Coupe
Shame....I really liked these over the Phastek/Hero "Penis" lights. Hope they get it fixed for SS/RS
Skyset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:23 AM   #160
ecko04

Update 8/20/18

Issues:

1) Hyperflash turn signal
2) Reverse light since it is an LED when the factory bulb is incandescent remains lit even when the car is off.

Issue #1

Just gotta meter the resistance of my factory LED turn signals and the aftermarket signals. From there I’ll do the calculation for the load and build a resistor harness that should take care of the hyperflash.

Another, albeit more expensive and extreme, measure would be to have the BCM reprogrammed, Chevy will do this for a fee, to turn off the hyperflash/bulb out notification.

Issue #2

These are completely sealed lamps so you cannot replace the reverse LED assembly with an incandescent bulb. Therefore the reverse light illuminates with the vehicle off and remains dimly lit all the time. This is an issue that also presented itself when an RS/SS owner changed their incandescent reverse bulb to an LED bulb. Luckily, this has already been addressed as Gen5DIY sells a reverse bulb harness to address this issue.

I already had the Gen5DIY harness from changing to LED reverse bulbs last year. However, for those who haven’t done so you’d be looking at buying the plug and play harness or slicing your own 25/50w resistor between reverse bulb (+) and ground (-) to resolve the illuminating reverse light.

Just for reference sake of this week is the last week I’ll have to work on these for any decent length of time until after 9/2. If I don’t update you by the end of this week then it’ll be sometime after 9/2.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:25 PM   #161
sonikk71

Drives: 2017 Summit White V6 1LE
So to clarify, currently LT/LS owners only option for properly functioning dark tail lights is to buy the GM factory dark tails and then use the following Gen5DIY adapter harness?

https://www.gen5diy.com/collections/...llight-harness

Last edited by sonikk71; 08-20-2018 at 01:38 PM.
sonikk71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:38 PM   #162
ecko04

New rear tail lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonikk71 View Post
So to clarify, currently LT/LS owners only option for properly functioning dark tail lights is to buy the GM factory dark tails and then use the following adapter harness?

https://www.gen5diy.com/collections/...llight-harness

It’s the only option that, to my knowledge, works without modifying/splicing wires for LS/LT owners. It would also allow them to run any other LED lamps, such as the ones in this thread, without issue as well. The Gen5DIY harness linked also takes care of the reverse light. It’s the only harness needed for LS/LT owners.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:04 PM   #163
sonikk71

Quote:
It’s the only option that, to my knowledge, works without modifying/splicing wires for LS/LT owners. It would also allow them to run any other LED lamps, such as the ones in this thread, without issue as well. The Gen5DIY harness linked also takes care of the reverse light. It’s the only harness needed for LS/LT owners.

Thanks Ecko for all your poking/prodding and stupid question answering on this issue. It is greatly appreciated!

Bummer about those replica tails. With the cost of the GM tails, another $100 for the harness, and the cost of the 3rd brake light, doing the backed of my car is getting expensive! Hopefully they find a good solution and the quality isn't bad.

Now that you have had a set in hand, how would you compare the build quality of the replicas to the GM tail lights? Its hard to tell from pics. I mean they look ok...
Old 08-20-2018, 03:28 PM   #164
ecko04

They actually seem like they’re very good quality. They certainly pass the weight test, the box they came in weighed about 10lbs. The only thing in the double walled box were the lamps and styrofoam protection.

From what I could tell when removing the only removable back panel piece was a nicely soldered circuit board and wiring that was nicely done. All the connectors were GM connectors. No glue or messy epoxy could be seen.

The lamps were sealed well. I didn’t see any leftover or runny glue around the lenses.

The quality truly is top notch.

Old 08-20-2018, 05:24 PM   #165
sonikk71

Quote:
They actually seem like they’re very good quality. They certainly pass the weight test, the box they came in weighed about 10lbs. The only thing in the double walled box were the lamps and styrofoam protection.

From what I could tell when removing the only removable back panel piece was a nicely soldered circuit board and wiring that was nicely done. All the connectors were GM connectors. No glue or messy epoxy could be seen.

The lamps were sealed well. I didn’t see any leftover or runny glue around the lenses.

The quality truly is top notch.

Good to hear. Looking at the pics you posted they seem to be darker than the GM dark tails. Am I seeing that right?
Old 08-22-2018, 08:13 AM   #166
Skyset

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Coupe
Hi ecko,

Do you think they will update it to work for SS/RS vehicles?

Thanks
Skyset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:13 AM   #167
51FIFFT

Drives: 2017 2SS M6 FIFTY @51fifft
Check out camarosandcoffeenorcal, They have an updated version.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:15 AM   #168
ecko04

I set aside some time this upcoming week, Wednesday or Thursday, to attempt to resolve the resistor/hyperflash issue. If I don’t have it solved by Thursday, or Friday, then I’ll put it off until after Labor Day.