#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-20-2018, 11:32 AM   #1
joshnmn
2&THEHIT

Drives: 5th Gen Camaro; 5th Gen Ram 3500
Why do people cover their plates?

I really don't understand... There is no useable information to be gleaned, why take the time and effort to ensure nobody can see your plate? I mean, you do drive around in public with it uncovered.
joshnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:48 AM   #2
chuckie669

Drives: 2011 ss
I don't care about mine so much but I have taken the time to cover up other peoples.

It could also be tying an online profile to physical objects.
chuckie669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:52 PM   #3
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnmn View Post
I really don't understand... There is no useable information to be gleaned, why take the time and effort to ensure nobody can see your plate? I mean, you do drive around in public with it uncovered.
When you don’t know what you’re talking about, it’s easy to be confused about things.

With a photo of your plate I’ll have your address, name, DOB, and SSN within a few minutes. Other people can easily get everything but the SSN. Why does that matter? If I was looking for a highly modified ZL-1 to “procur” for an, um “client”, what’s easier, driving around looking for one, or locating one on an enthusiast site and knowing where to find it down to where’s it’s parked at night? Sure most regular Camaros are probably safe, but it allows you just a touch of some personal security.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:44 PM   #4
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotcandy View Post
From the website NCSL.org:
All 50 states address license plate frames and covers because certain frames and covers can impair visibility for law enforcement officers. Some states directly regulate license plate frames and covers, while others more generally prohibit the obstruction of license plate readability. Utah law, for example, requires license plates to be clearly legible from a distance of at least 100 feet during daylight hours. However, it should be noted that more regulations and prohibitions are imposed on covers than on frames. In California, it is unlawful to cover a license plate, even if the cover is transparent. In a federal case on this issue, a California court found that a tow hitch left on a vehicle trailer when not being towed could be considered an obstruction, even if it only blocks the view of a portion of the plate from a small angle. Although many states allow frames, they permit only covers that in no way alter the color or appearance of a license plate. Texas motorists must not attach or display a license plate cover that contains a blurring or reflective matter that significantly impairs the readability of the plate or any attached illuminate device or stick, decal or emblem.
OP is referring to covering plates in pictures of cars on media sources, such as TV shows and camaro5 .

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:45 PM   #5
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotcandy View Post
From the website NCSL.org:
All 50 states address license plate frames and covers because certain frames and covers can impair visibility for law enforcement officers. Some states directly regulate license plate frames and covers, while others more generally prohibit the obstruction of license plate readability. Utah law, for example, requires license plates to be clearly legible from a distance of at least 100 feet during daylight hours. However, it should be noted that more regulations and prohibitions are imposed on covers than on frames. In California, it is unlawful to cover a license plate, even if the cover is transparent. In a federal case on this issue, a California court found that a tow hitch left on a vehicle trailer when not being towed could be considered an obstruction, even if it only blocks the view of a portion of the plate from a small angle. Although many states allow frames, they permit only covers that in no way alter the color or appearance of a license plate. Texas motorists must not attach or display a license plate cover that contains a blurring or reflective matter that significantly impairs the readability of the plate or any attached illuminate device or stick, decal or emblem.

I think the OP is talking about editing the photo and blurring out/drawing over the license plate before people post pictures of their cars on forums/facebook. Not actually covering up the physical plate.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:14 PM   #6
redhotcandy

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
OP is referring to covering plates in pictures of cars on media sources, such as TV shows and camaro5 .
Yep, misread.
redhotcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:30 PM   #7
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
When you don’t know what you’re talking about, it’s easy to be confused about things.

With a photo of your plate I’ll have your address, name, DOB, and SSN within a few minutes. Other people can easily get everything but the SSN. Why does that matter? If I was looking for a highly modified ZL-1 to “procur” for an, um “client”, what’s easier, driving around looking for one, or locating one on an enthusiast site and knowing where to find it down to where’s it’s parked at night? Sure most regular Camaros are probably safe, but it allows you just a touch of some personal security.
Not because I'm trying to stir stuff up, but I don't remember giving my SSN to buy the car, why would they be able to get it from getting my license plate?
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:59 PM   #8
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Not because I'm trying to stir stuff up, but I don't remember giving my SSN to buy the car, why would they be able to get it from getting my license plate?

Cause your DL info is tied to your tag, so when I run your tag I can also run the registered owner and it spits out your name, DOB, registered address, SSN, criminal/traffic history, prior calls, etc.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:55 PM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Cause your DL info is tied to your tag, so when I run your tag I can also run the registered owner and it spits out your name, DOB, registered address, SSN, criminal/traffic history, prior calls, etc.
I can't think of any reason why all that needs to be public knowledge. Accessible by police? Obviously. Insurance companies? They should to be able to get some (but maybe not all) of that stuff too. But a random Joe being able to get an address or social security number from a license plate? Doesn't make any sense. Any scenario that I come up with where an individual person might need that info, the cops aught to be involved anyway.

Not doubting that it happens ... I'm just wondering aloud about the how/why its possible in the first place.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:24 PM   #10
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Paranoia...
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:45 PM   #11
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I can't think of any reason why all that needs to be public knowledge. Accessible by police? Obviously. Insurance companies? They should to be able to get some (but maybe not all) of that stuff too. But a random Joe being able to get an address or social security number from a license plate? Doesn't make any sense. Any scenario that I come up with where an individual person might need that info, the cops aught to be involved anyway.

Not doubting that it happens ... I'm just wondering aloud about the how/why its possible in the first place.
The public wouldn’t get your SSN, but your address and possibly your DOB is very easy to obtain through a plate.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:34 PM   #12
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Anyone can get your DOB & address anyway, they don't need your plate for that. SS# is not as easy but my plate is the least of my worries about that being stolen. Heck you can go on line & find out not only info about me but my neighbors including how many dogs they have. Not going to stress over my plate that they can see any time my car is visible.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:10 PM   #13
joshnmn
2&THEHIT

Drives: 5th Gen Camaro; 5th Gen Ram 3500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkstar View Post
Paranoia...
Exactly

Just as mentioned, anyone can get pretty much any information on just about anyone they want.

I guess I can liken it to the ol' saying, "locks keep honest people honest." I'll accept that.
joshnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:37 AM   #14
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Anyone can get your DOB & address anyway, they don't need your plate for that. SS# is not as easy but my plate is the least of my worries about that being stolen. Heck you can go on line & find out not only info about me but my neighbors including how many dogs they have. Not going to stress over my plate that they can see any time my car is visible.
The OP asked why do people do it and Fen and I explained ONE reason why it’s a good idea. Your entire post is completely irrelevant to the discussion. You say anyone can find out your address & DOB. Sure, if they know your name. I don’t know it. Theft is just one of the potential reasons to guard your info, but you’re probably pretty safe there. Does everyone HAVE to cover their plate when posting photos on a public forum? Absolutely not. But understanding WHY was the point of this thread.