Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

View Poll Results: Car covers, good idea or bad?
Good idea 16 53.33%
Bad idea 14 46.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2018, 11:15 AM   #1
lightsOUT

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Krypton Green
Car covers: good idea or bad idea?

My Z is stored inside but my garage isn’t overly big and I’ve got 2 kids under 5. I’ve been going back and fourth on weather or not I should get a cover. I would like to keep the dust off and also provide some line of defense against sticky fingers and flying goldfish. I like the GM cover that says ZL1 on it. Looks pretty cool anyway.

Some people say they do more harm than good? How true is this? Is the GM cover worth the money?
lightsOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:34 AM   #2
itsadryheat79

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE (2)79Z28 72RS 67SS 69Z
Send a message via Yahoo to itsadryheat79
If you put a good cover on a clean car in your garage you should be ok.

If you put it on a car outside and it does not fit tight a windy day can cause the cover to rub against the car and possibly damage paint. This is why you never tow a car with a car cover on. When I want to protect a car during a tow I wrap it with plastic or painters tape.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:26 PM   #3
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i used a car cover for my car in the winter time to keep the dew and dust and rain off it since i dont drive it much but in the summer time i just drive and wash it once a week
Old 08-20-2018, 02:06 PM   #4
harner

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
There is risk - as long as it is protected (ceramic/wax/ppf/etc), it should be okay with a quality (clean) cover indoors.
1994 Trans Am LM7/CPT 4L60E/9"
1987 IROC
2006 Silverado
harner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:06 PM   #5
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
My cars only get covered when put away freshly washed. Washed, dried, and parked. Then it gets covered. If you only do this, it's safe.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:17 PM   #6
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
I’ve read favorable comments on the GM cover. It would be my first choice in a cover. There shouldn’t be any nagatives to using one in the garage as long as you don’t put it on a dirty car. It sounds like a good idea especially if you don’t drive it daily or only drive it on the weekends
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:22 PM   #7
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
My cars only get covered when put away freshly washed. Washed, dried, and parked. Then it gets covered. If you only do this, it's safe.
+1, precisely... Then garaged.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:55 PM   #8
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
I’ve read favorable comments on the GM cover. It would be my first choice in a cover. There shouldn’t be any nagatives to using one in the garage as long as you don’t put it on a dirty car. It sounds like a good idea especially if you don’t drive it daily or only drive it on the weekends
Positive review here for the GM black ZL1 cover. I have it on my ZL1 and the same cover with Z06 on it for my C7 Z and they're very high quality, soft, and a touch oversized which is nice as it reaches nearly the ground all the way around. I have bought $400 covers before and this one is just as good and looks better.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:09 PM   #9
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Given the little ones roaming around, I think a cover is a good idea.

Isn’t the ZL1 specific cover an outdoor style cover though? I ended up getting the black GM cover (not the ZL1 styled one) and it’s definitely more of an outdoor style. I got it for use if I ever have to leave it outside for whatever reason, but I don’t ever use it in the garage.

I had a super soft indoor cover for my C6 that I got from West Coast Corvette. If intended for indoor use only, I’d get something like that. I could see the GM cover I have causing scratches if you weren’t careful, but that indoor cover I had was amazingly soft.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:19 PM   #10
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
For what it’s worth, this is the same brand/style I had for my Vettes. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one for the ZL1 if I needed an indoor cover.

http://www.westcoastcamaro.com/p-215...oor-black.aspx
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:57 AM   #11
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
Given the little ones roaming around, I think a cover is a good idea.

Isn’t the ZL1 specific cover an outdoor style cover though? I ended up getting the black GM cover (not the ZL1 styled one) and it’s definitely more of an outdoor style. I got it for use if I ever have to leave it outside for whatever reason, but I don’t ever use it in the garage.

I had a super soft indoor cover for my C6 that I got from West Coast Corvette. If intended for indoor use only, I’d get something like that. I could see the GM cover I have causing scratches if you weren’t careful, but that indoor cover I had was amazingly soft.
The black cover I got with ZL1 printed all over it is definitely an indoor only cover. It's medium I'd say in thickness, very stretchy and lined with super soft fleece or something. It's as good or better than the $400 California Car Covers I've bought in the past.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:56 PM   #12
Frisbey

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 Nightfall Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
This ^^^^^^^^^

There's nothing like fresh small swirls and scratches from putting a cheap car cover or a good car cover on a car with even the slightest amount of dust on it.

And once you've done that, the cover is pretty much junk.
2000 - 02/06/18 | 4300 - 02/20/18 Built
3000 - 02/07/18 | 5000 - 03/08/18 At Dealer
3100 - 02/09/18 | Delivered
Frisbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:33 PM   #13
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Not sure why there're so many votes for "Bad idea"??? As noted multiple times, with the right habits it's perfectly safe and potentially SAFER for your car as you will be able to combat the brush by leg, jean pocket rivet, bike handle, stroller pusher, bug carcasses, droppings from spiders, random splashes of liquids, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisbey View Post
This ^^^^^^^^^

There's nothing like fresh small swirls and scratches from putting a cheap car cover or a good car cover on a car with even the slightest amount of dust on it.

And once you've done that, the cover is pretty much junk.
Yup and that's another rule. The cover never touches a thing except an immediately cleaned car or the storage bag. Once you put the cover on a dirty car, it's headed to the trash. I've seen beautiful cars with find swirl marks on all the edges of the car due to poor covering habits. My dad is one of them, he'll take his car to a show or for a cruise, pull it in the garage and toss the cover on it once the exhaust is cool.