Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-13-2018, 12:07 PM   #57
Tech@HurstPerformance

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018_ZL1_1LE View Post
I have a 2018 ZL1 1LE, which to my understanding comes with a GM Short throw shifter. I'm not a fan of it, still feels sloppy compared to my MGW in my vette. Would the Hurst improve upon the "GM Short Throw" in terms of throw distance and crispness? Also, is it compatible ?
This shifter will have a drastic reduction in throw when compared to your factory shifter, approximately 40% less. You will also notice a positive increase in the "crispness" or lack of "slop" compared to the OEM shifter. This shifter is absolutely designed to fit on any manual 2016-2018 Camaro SS and ZL1 model and feel will be "night & day" when compared to its OEM equivalent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschons74 View Post
I got almost 32k on mine and it's breaking in nice. GM factory shifter is loose like oar in a row boat. Hurst is tight, crisp & short, love it.
Thanks for the love! We're happy to hear that you love your Hurst Shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashhawk View Post
So I am working on a project that will allow me to attach the Hard drive shift handle to this shifter. Is the upper portion that the shift knob attaches to steel by chance so that it can be welded ? Really sad that you went away from this interface for the shift handles and discontinued the Hard drive handle
The HardDrive was discontinued due to slow sales, but when I receive inquiries I file them and send the info to my supervisors for review. If there's enough interest in reintroducing a previously discontinued product we are all ears!

As for the upper stick, it is black anodized aluminum. This sounds like an interesting marriage between the two Hurst products, we're interested to hear/see what you have going, we may have a recommendation to help accomplish the task. If you like to PM me with additional details of what you have and what you're trying to accomplish and I will try my best to help you out with your project.

- Jason @ Hurst
Tech@HurstPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:07 AM   #58
Dubchitts

Drives: '17 Red hot 2ss, 16 Focus RS
Just received my new stick! Currently gluing the ring back to the shift boot and trying to find the set screw!
Attached Images

Afe Air Filter//BMR MM010 Motor Mounts, Safety Loop//Custom OTR Intake//Flex Fuel Kit//Gforce 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft//GM 95mm TB//Katech Oil Pump, Piston Squirters//Kooks 1-7/8 LT//LT4 Fueling//Mighty Mouse Wild//Monster Clutch LT1-S Triple Disc//MSD 2-Step//Pray Performance Custom Spec Cam, Ported Holley Hi-Ram//Sikky 12" Shifter w OEM Knob Mod//Tick Level 1 Tr6060//Labor by Me//Tune By Pray Performance
Dubchitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:00 PM   #59
Dubchitts

I glued the sides of the shift boot to the top of the black ring and let it sit for about an hour. Then started the ring on to the knob, tucked the rest of the leather in, and applied glue. Then I put something soft under the knob, out the knob down, so it was inside out, and put a 1-3/16 socket on the outer edge of the black ring and clamped in place.

If you lose the set screw from your original shifter like I did, I went to Ace and bought a M5-.80x16 countersunk bolt.
Attached Images

Afe Air Filter//BMR MM010 Motor Mounts, Safety Loop//Custom OTR Intake//Flex Fuel Kit//Gforce 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft//GM 95mm TB//Katech Oil Pump, Piston Squirters//Kooks 1-7/8 LT//LT4 Fueling//Mighty Mouse Wild//Monster Clutch LT1-S Triple Disc//MSD 2-Step//Pray Performance Custom Spec Cam, Ported Holley Hi-Ram//Sikky 12" Shifter w OEM Knob Mod//Tick Level 1 Tr6060//Labor by Me//Tune By Pray Performance

Last edited by Dubchitts; 09-18-2018 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Correct set screw size
Old 09-18-2018, 01:34 PM   #60
Tech@HurstPerformance

It's Finally Here! Hurst Upper Stick for Hurst Billet/Plus Shifter - Part# 2385002

You demanded and we listened! For those 6th gen Camaro owners that have the Hurst Billet/Plus Shifter and want to reuse the factory shift knob, we have some great news.

The upper stick portion is now available for purchase. This item can only be purchased by calling us at 707-544-4761; this part is not available on the website. When you call in just let any member of our Support Team know that you'd like to purchase the Hurst Upper Stick, part #2385002.

Ladies and Gentleman you have patiently waited and for that I am thankful! If I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to PM me.

- Jason @ Hurst
Old 09-18-2018, 01:39 PM   #61
Tech@HurstPerformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubchitts View Post
I glued the sides of the shift boot to the top of the black ring and let it sit for about an hour. Then started the ring on to the knob, tucked the rest of the leather in, and applied glue. Then I put something soft under the knob, out the knob down, so it was inside out, and put a 1-3/16 socket on the outer edge of the black ring and clamped in place.

If you lose the set screw from your original shifter I'm pretty sure a recessed m6x10 would work
Wow! You got right to work on that replacement! Thanks for posting your how-to steps. The factory set screw for the OEM shift knob will be a T25 Torx screw. The M6 x 10 hardware is used to secure the shifter assembly to the shifter housing.

- Jason @ Hurst
Old 09-18-2018, 04:31 PM   #62
Dubchitts

All done! Thanks Hurst for hearing us and making this product for us!!

It sits a bit higher than i had my cue ball, but the shift action is still very short and precise.
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2018, 05:57 PM   #63
Tech@HurstPerformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubchitts View Post
All done! Thanks Hurst for hearing us and making this product for us!!

It sits a bit higher than i had my cue ball, but the shift action is still very short and precise.
Looks good, thanks for the props!

- Jason @ Hurst
Old 09-08-2023, 12:36 PM   #64
Yoel1SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
I finished the install this past Saturday and overall very happy with the results! I'd like to thank the Hurst team for listening to our feedback and providing us with another option to use their excellent Billet/Plus shifter with the stock knob. The Hurst shifter provides a very short, precise, and mechanical shift that's immediately noticeable compared to the stock shifter. For performance driving, the shifts feel perfect, especially the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. I was concerned that the 40% reduction in throw would be "too short", but now I think that's about where it should be. There's also no change in NVH with the new shifter, which is exactly as advertised. They did a really good job on the fully isolated upper stick design. The spherical steel ball bearing design looks and feels significantly more robust than the stock plastic bearing (see picture below). I'll provide more feedback once I get more seat time with the new shifter, but so far I'm very happy with the results.

One trade-off is a noticeable, yet acceptable, increase in shift effort. I think the benefits far outweighs this trade-off, but it's worth noting for those considering it. I found it to be most noticeable on slow shifts in heavy traffic and when shifting out of 5th, out of 6th, and on the 5-6 shift. There's simply less mechanical advantage so it takes a little more effort.

One observation is that the 1-3-5-R gears seem to be about as far forward as where they had been with the stock shifter and the 2-4-6 gears almost feel as far forward as where neutral was. So when the shifter is now in 4th gear, it looks and feels like it's in neutral (compared to the stock shifter). This will take some getting used to. This is not necessarily bad, just an observation. I'll take some measurements when I get a chance to put numbers behind this. I think it will just take a little time for me to get used to the exact gear positions and shorter throws.

The installation was not too bad and went pretty smoothly. I did it in my garage on wooden ramps. The job could be done significantly faster with a lift, but it's not necessary. I've attached a version of the install document that's been edited (in red) with my notes, tips, and with the torque specs. See .pdf file at the bottom. I was initially concerned the pins might be tough to reach, but I was able to get those out pretty quickly from the top.

Everything went smooth, except for one relatively small thing. The shifter assembly to housing M6X10mm bolts that were provided (reference Step 37 in the attached .pdf) did not quite hold up to the factory torque spec of 13 lb-ft - the internal hex started to round off as I approached that torque level. The stock external hex bolt did not have this issue. I used Loctite 242 blue threadlocker on them and I'm sure they are tightened to an acceptable level, so this is not really a big deal. Hopefully this helps someone else doing the install though. I'd recommend going "hand tight" or in the 8-10 lb-ft range.

Thanks again to the Hurst team for the opportunity to review and provide feedback on their new upper stick design! The new stick with stock knob sits slightly higher (maybe 1/4") taller than the white ball in it's tallest setting and more like 1.5-2" taller than the white ball in it's shortest setting. This puts it at the perfect height in my opinion.

I would recommend Hurst have a car available at CamaroFest8 with this shifter so folks can get a feel for it firsthand compared to the stock unit. I think they will sell a ton of these once people can feel the difference it makes.

Here's some pictures of the install. Stay tuned for a short video before and after. Let me know if you have any questions.
You may man are a genius. I just did the install 1 hour ago and your post made change the shifter in roughly 2-3 hours on jacks and it was extremely easy with your pin technique. I was on the bottom pulling them and my gf on top with a feeler gauge. It was so fast I almost went to a shop but I’m glad I followed my gut and did it myself. Thanks again hope more people find this and see that pdf!
Yoel1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 08:53 PM   #65
Standard

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin ZL1 M6
Old thread - I had to get out under some time pressure/didn't get to ask the installer; but I gave him a printout of the edited PDF from this thread.

Here's a bit of a 'before' and 'after'

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/IEW7ejwv7Mw
Standard is offline   Reply With Quote