Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-25-2021, 07:09 AM   #1
Nate76

Drives: 2022 2SS Convertible
Some wind noise normal?

This is my first convertible, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I'm hoping to just get a little feedback from other convertible owners. I feel like my car is quiet enough, no rattles or anything like that. The only thing I notice is a slight wind noise coming from the back window area at highway speeds. Kinda behind my left ear. Nothing loud, but I can hear the slight "shhhhhh" of air. I've seen some post about a bulletin fixing a gap between the two windows. I'm wondering if this is the case with mine or whether some wind noise is par for the course. I really don't want to bring it to the dealership to try to fix or mess around with, if it's normal. I guess I'm wondering if others have a convertible that has zero wind noise coming through the windows or where the top meets the windows when driving at highway speeds. Thanks!
Nate76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:16 AM   #2
Walkure

Drives: '17 ZL1 A10 Vert
I’ve had a few convertibles, including my ZL1. All have some amount of wind noise when the top is up. If it’s really bad you can take it in, but I’d be inclined to leave it alone.
Of course, 99% of the time the car is being driven the top is down, so it’s a real non-issue.
Walkure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 05:03 PM   #3
Kevin0311

Drives: Chevy ss sedan, 22 ZL1 vert
No noise here, first vert and drove 540 highway miles home from dealer, double check you rear windows up all the way?
Kevin0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 07:51 PM   #4
Nate76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0311 View Post
No noise here, first vert and drove 540 highway miles home from dealer, double check you rear windows up all the way?
Yep. And always do the backs up first. No where near as loud as an open window.

Last edited by Nate76; 11-25-2021 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-26-2021, 10:52 AM   #5
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
There is absolutely wind noise, and you will never completely eliminate it because the material the top is made of is fabric and not metal.

With that said... check your ventilated seats and be sure they are turned off. The sounds from the fans moving air around can be heard with the top up / windows closed, and it can make it seem like there' more wind noise than there really is.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:12 AM   #6
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
I have always had a slight bit of wind-noise in my car. I believe it comes from the standing seal between the rear quarter window and the front side window. The rubber seal is mounted to the rear quarter window but seals off on the front side window. There is only so much pressure you can put on this interface, and it just has the slightest hiss to it. I have a 2016, but would hope that by now at least they would have tweaked it a little, but maybe not!

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:48 AM   #7
Nate76

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGeoffGuy View Post
I have always had a slight bit of wind-noise in my car. I believe it comes from the standing seal between the rear quarter window and the front side window. The rubber seal is mounted to the rear quarter window but seals off on the front side window. There is only so much pressure you can put on this interface, and it just has the slightest hiss to it. I have a 2016, but would hope that by now at least they would have tweaked it a little, but maybe not!

-Geoff
Yeah, that's the best way to describe it. A slight hiss. It varies to depeding on speed, outside wind etc. I guess it's normal? I figure I can live with it. That fix that I've seen circulating seems like overkill and I'm worried the hiss will be worse when they are finished.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:15 AM   #8
Speak99

Drives: Camaro 2020 2SS VERT
The grey on this car is super sweet. Nice with the black rims and red calipers.

I cant say that i notice wind noise, I do notice that the tires are loud.

Last edited by Speak99; 11-29-2021 at 08:28 AM.
Speak99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 12:51 AM   #9
aa21

Drives: 2022 Chevrolet Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate76 View Post
This is my first convertible, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I'm hoping to just get a little feedback from other convertible owners. I feel like my car is quiet enough, no rattles or anything like that. The only thing I notice is a slight wind noise coming from the back window area at highway speeds. Kinda behind my left ear. Nothing loud, but I can hear the slight "shhhhhh" of air. I've seen some post about a bulletin fixing a gap between the two windows. I'm wondering if this is the case with mine or whether some wind noise is par for the course. I really don't want to bring it to the dealership to try to fix or mess around with, if it's normal. I guess I'm wondering if others have a convertible that has zero wind noise coming through the windows or where the top meets the windows when driving at highway speeds. Thanks!
When I first bought my vert, it was my first modern convertible. The first few times driving it I felt like one of the rear windows was down, but once you use the car for a while you somehow start to not really find it as loud. Since the top is fabric it wouldn’t filter all sounds a 100% like the metal roofs do, but Chevy has done a really good job with the sound proofing on these verts. Also the roads themselves play a big issue (although this does not relate to what you are asking, but this is good to know), when I am driving at highway speeds I would usually hear a sort of rumbling road noise which I thought was from the run flats, but actually I got to drive on a smooth asphalt paved highway and there was absolutely no road noise whatsoever, and you could say that it sounded just as quiet as a hardtop. Hope this help.
aa21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 01:36 PM   #10
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Yeah, that's the best way to describe it. A slight hiss. It varies to depeding on speed, outside wind etc. I guess it's normal? I figure I can live with it. That fix that I've seen circulating seems like overkill and I'm worried the hiss will be worse when they are finished.
Yea, I think that is normal. Don't try to tweak the seal yourself - I already had to have mine replaced because when I unhooked the battery, the window was down (automatically notched down for opening), and the seal took a set after I shut the door for the winter. It is not possible to bend it back from that - at least I got it replaced under warranty!

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 02:43 PM   #11
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
This is my first convertible
Congrats!

Yes, some wind noise at the rear window gasket is normal on our cars. Most ragtop convertibles have some wind noise around the top. It's a ragtop thing. Don't bother with the dealership, they will just make it worse.

Solution: Drop the top and mash the loud pedal. All sorts of other joyous noises like engine, exhaust, wind rushing by, tire squeal , etc. will take over !

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 11:54 AM   #12
Plasar

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert M6
Talking

I have ZERO wind noise from the top…. with the top down. (What - did you expect serious answers to this question.)

Plasar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
whistle, wind noise