Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-13-2021, 11:56 AM   #1
toneonefive

Drives: 2020 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Tune needed for just an Exhaust?

Hi everyone! Just purchased a 2020 Camaro SS 1LE with the A10 and love it. Also I love how it sounds but wanted to change the exhaust system to something with more rumble and tone so I'm interested in the Boral Atak system.

Also was interested in the Corsa Extreme but then again, it's almost too loud for my liking. In addition the Corsa seems to sound a bit of a rasp.

With this being said, I am not looking for any other mods, just an exhaust upgrade. My question is a tune needed?

I've read somewhere that a tune is required to disable something along the lines of the 4-cylinder mode.

I live in California (where the emissions do suck) and Borla sounds right up my alley as it remains CARB legal as well.

Any insights on this would be greatly appreciated!
toneonefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 12:12 PM   #2
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Don’t tune it. You don’t need to
Old 11-13-2021, 12:22 PM   #3
toneonefive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
Don’t tune it. You don’t need to

Thanks! I figured that down the line if I went further in depth with mods a tune would be the case but not just with a simple exhaust upgrade.

Appreciate the insight!
Old 11-13-2021, 12:43 PM   #4
FlyingFischer5

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS Satin Steel Gray
If you want more of a rumble go with the S-type Borla. I have that system and it gets plenty loud still and has a nice deep note to it! Love mine
2019 Chevy Camaro - 2SS - Satin Steel Gray Metallic - RotoFab w/Dry Filter and Sound Tube Delete, Borla S-Type Carbon, Mishimoto Catch Can, (2) Banks iDash Gauges in ZZP Pillar Mount, DD Side Marker Lights, EOS Gloss Black ZL1 Splitter, Ikon Gloss Black Rear Diffuser

2004 Chevy Trailblazer - LS 4.2l - Black - 3.5" Lift, Custom Interior, Custom Roof Rack and Grille w/Built-in Light Bars, 285/55R20 on Trailblazer SS Wheels
FlyingFischer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 12:54 PM   #5
toneonefive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFischer5 View Post
If you want more of a rumble go with the S-type Borla. I have that system and it gets plenty loud still and has a nice deep note to it! Love mine
Thanks man I'll look into the S-Type too. Kinda was interested in MBRP axel back as well.

Anyone have this setup?
Old 11-13-2021, 02:50 PM   #6
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
If its an axle back system you won't need a tune. If you do headers and exhaust, you will need a tune.

As far as which one, thats all personal preference. I'm personally a fan of borla s-type for more of the "old school" deep tone. I dont care about being obnoxious loud or trying to go all fast and furious and have flames come out my tailpipes.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 07:36 PM   #7
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
If you do not do something about V4 mode, you will hear it kicking in and out much more once you make the exhaust sound louder. Get a range device if you do not want to have the V4 mode tuned out.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 11:36 PM   #8
toneonefive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
If you do not do something about V4 mode, you will hear it kicking in and out much more once you make the exhaust sound louder. Get a range device if you do not want to have the V4 mode tuned out.
This is the thing I was talking about in my first post. Is this a requirement? The 4-cylinder mode and losing it doesn't really matter to me.

So far I've only found ASM Disabler's and most do not ship to California. Or at least the ones i've seen.
Old 11-14-2021, 07:33 AM   #9
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by toneonefive View Post
This is the thing I was talking about in my first post. Is this a requirement? The 4-cylinder mode and losing it doesn't really matter to me.

So far I've only found ASM Disabler's and most do not ship to California. Or at least the ones i've seen.
Its not a requirement to tune for a axle back or even a cat back system. But it is if you do not want to hear V4 mode coming on and off. With the exhaust completely stock the, the V4 sound is muffled enough so its not audible to most people. I will say tuning out V4 mode after I ran the Borla S mufflers and the AFM valve simulators, makes the driving experience perfect.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 10:37 PM   #10
toneonefive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
Its not a requirement to tune for a axle back or even a cat back system. But it is if you do not want to hear V4 mode coming on and off. With the exhaust completely stock the, the V4 sound is muffled enough so its not audible to most people. I will say tuning out V4 mode after I ran the Borla S mufflers and the AFM valve simulators, makes the driving experience perfect.
Thanks for the info bro. I just have to find a dealer that ships out CA.