Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 11-11-2021, 11:28 AM   #1
super_sxxy322

Drives: '22 Camaro 2SS/1LE
"Summer Only" tire limitations??

Hey, y'all!

Tires with the 1LE pack!

I looked at the actual description from TireRack on the Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar 3 tires - stating...

"like all Extreme Performance Summer tires, it is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near-and below-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

And in the notes...

"Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels, or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle."

My thought process is not to drive in less then 40* weather regardless. Noting that I'll most likely take delivery in the dead of Winter (already contemplating fat bedding her home) but say by chance I get delivery in the midst of a few good days above 40* - would you drive home?

I would also want to drive on nice days in the Spring and Fall - North Jersey can be 30s/40s in the morning and 70s+ during the day time.

Do you follow any certain limits with these tires beyond "Summer Only" months???

Thanks!
super_sxxy322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 11:39 AM   #2
Vaska

Drives: On Hiatus
No you'll be fine for street use.
Vaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 11:42 AM   #3
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
youll be fine but yes these tires need heat to get warmed up and do not like rain or ice or snow at all...
Old 11-11-2021, 11:52 AM   #4
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Yes, drive in the low forties often here, no problem, just remember the tires will not grip as well as when it is 70 degrees, so drive accordingly.
Luckily, you have a tire temp monitor. I find in the 40's though, tires rarely get warm enough.

I also do not drive below 40 degrees.
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 11:58 AM   #5
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by super_sxxy322 View Post
Do you follow any certain limits with these tires beyond "Summer Only" months???
For NJ you can get 6 months out of GYF1SC3, except:

1. They start to lose dry grip below 60F. They're still daily-drivable but if you go hooning around they'll break loose under hard acceleration and around corners. Under 40F they will be steel roller skates. Under 30F they'll self-destruct.

2. They will try to kill you in the wet. Yeah, that's right. Don't drive them in rain. Get some MPS4 or MPS4S for daily use in rain. Or proper all seasons.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 12:06 PM   #6
jeremy71

Drives: 2017 Chevy SS 1LE
I tracked on a wet surface (light rain) and was quite surprised by the grip considering...
Standing water you need to stay away from. When I picked my car up and drove it 5 hours home it was 40 and rained nearly the whole time... just be smart, take your time.
jeremy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 12:09 PM   #7
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
For NJ you can get 6 months out of GYF1SC3, except:

1. They start to lose dry grip below 60F. They're still daily-drivable but if you go hooning around they'll break loose under hard acceleration and around corners. Under 40F they will be steel roller skates. Under 30F they'll self-destruct.

2. They will try to kill you in the wet. Yeah, that's right. Don't drive them in rain. Get some MPS4 or MPS4S for daily use in rain. Or proper all seasons.
This!!
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 12:14 PM   #8
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Standing water is very bad for sure, you'll hydroplane in a heartbeat! Just wet roads, light showers and the like, been there a few times, it isn't that bad. Rain ok, heavy rain, standing water BAD.

Fun fact! I picked my car up in NJ, drove it home to LI, it was early April, it was ~42 degrees and light rain, the entire trip. First time I drove it, not a real problem. I didn't know how much better the tires were when dry and 70-80 degrees until I had it a few months!

I do avoid driving in the rain, but getting caught by a surprise shower is not going to get you killed......
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 01:31 PM   #9
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
but say by chance I get delivery in the midst of a few good days above 40* - would you drive home?
Yes. Just ask the dealer to park it in a garage for a few hours until you drive it home. The tires won't cool unless there is cold water or snow on the road.

these tires are fine as long as you live within their limitations. it will be garaged in winter, right?
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 01:54 PM   #10
super_sxxy322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
This!!
That def struck a chord!

Thanks all for your input! I've had some fair share driving of an '87 (being the first car I accidentally fish-tailed making a left turn - held it like a champ though) and '96 z28's.

Understandable that this generation is a completely different car! Will be taking points made into high consideration!!
Old 11-11-2021, 01:56 PM   #11
super_sxxy322

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
Yes. Just ask the dealer to park it in a garage for a few hours until you drive it home. The tires won't cool unless there is cold water or snow on the road.

these tires are fine as long as you live within their limitations. it will be garaged in winter, right?
Yes! Garaged in the Winter! Thank you!
Old 11-12-2021, 09:06 PM   #12
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Under 30F they'll self-destruct
Not exactly. I drove from a hotel to VIR for an HPDE event on the highway early in the morning after the car was parked outside with an overnight low of 32°F by the hotel and 30°F at the track with frost on the ground and didn't have any issues then or afterwards besides slightly spinning the tires leaving the parking lot even though I used minimal throttle. I recall my car's thermometer showing high 20s at startup that morning but I didn't document it. Trying to drive aggressively and/or on twisty roads in those temperatures might end badly though.

Last edited by cdrptrks; 11-12-2021 at 09:27 PM.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:10 PM   #13
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
but say by chance I get delivery in the midst of a few good days above 40* - would you drive home?

I would also want to drive on nice days in the Spring and Fall - North Jersey can be 30s/40s in the morning and 70s+ during the day time.
Decide if you want to expose the car to salted roads or not. If you do, be sure to wash the underbody to reduce the chances of it rusting but it is probably a pain to do that without using an automatic car wash which the manual recommends against. I avoid them because they will cause swirls in your paint but I don't have to worry about salt on the roads here in Houston.

Last edited by cdrptrks; 11-12-2021 at 09:32 PM.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 10:11 PM   #14
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Hey, y'all!

Tires with the 1LE pack!

I looked at the actual description from TireRack on the Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar 3 tires - stating...

"like all Extreme Performance Summer tires, it is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near-and below-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

And in the notes...

"Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels, or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle."

My thought process is not to drive in less then 40* weather regardless. Noting that I'll most likely take delivery in the dead of Winter (already contemplating fat bedding her home) but say by chance I get delivery in the midst of a few good days above 40* - would you drive home?

Thanks!
I lived in NJ (Morris County) before moving to TN. The amount of salt townships and the state of NJ use is insane, I'm not sure I would want to expose a Camaro to that... my wife's SUV is already pretty rusty after a mere 5 years . My Camaro was asleep from first salt (late November or early December if we got lucky) to late March, early April when the last of the snow and the brine was washed off.

As to tires, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Michelin PS4S for daily use, that way you can keep the Goodyears for the track. The PS4S is good all the way down to 36-40 degrees (using common sense with the skinny pedal, of course), it grips surprisingly well in the rain and practically doesn't hydroplane. Very quiet, too, hardly any noise coming from these tires, depending somewhat on road quality, of course, but it should be fine in NJ. Dry grip is not as high as that of the Goodyears under absolutely ideal conditions, but IMO it's extremely good overall for daily/street use.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote