Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-13-2021, 11:12 PM   #15
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Does anyone have experience with Conti’s verse Michelin 4’s? I’ve done some research on both and can’t discern which is best for overall handling. IE “Squishy” Conti’s would probably annoy me… so, I’m hoping the 4’s are better in that dept.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 07:44 AM   #16
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Does anyone have experience with Conti’s verse Michelin 4’s? I’ve done some research on both and can’t discern which is best for overall handling. IE “Squishy” Conti’s would probably annoy me… so, I’m hoping the 4’s are better in that dept.
I don't have experience with the Michelin all-season. However, the summer-only PS 4S is know to have fairly soft sidewalls, so the all-season probably tends somewhat in that direction. OTOH, it's the OE tire on base model C8s so my guess is that it's a very high-performance tires as all-seasons go.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:13 AM   #17
Silent_H_

Drives: '21 V6 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
Instead of ditching your good-performing summer tires, you could buy a second set of wheels and tires just for winter. For example, there's a guy in our Classifieds section selling a mounted and balanced set of Blizzaks on nice wheels with TPMS, ready to go for a nice price. He's in Wilkes-Barre, so not far from you. That whole setup is probably as cheap or cheaper than a set of Conti DWS tires, and then you get to mount your sticky tires back on the car in the spring.
THIS. If you get snow in your area, snow tires are the way. If it just gets cold then all-seasons will be great.
Silent_H_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:03 PM   #18
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Ive been disappointed with A/S in even light snow 1-3" and I now use the Alpin PA4 winter performance tire. I totally agree if just cold temps an A/S is perfect.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 05:10 PM   #19
6sigma

Drives: rally green LT1 manual
I installed the Conti DWS06+ in 1LE sizes (285/30 and 305/30) on 1LE takeoff wheels on my LT1. I was running the standard 1LE GY Supercar 3 before, and the original LT1 GY all-season runflats before that. The Contis are only recently available in the 1LE sizes.

Compared to the GY Supercar 3, the Contis are much better in the wet or damp and very similar in the dry. The Contis are a little 'squishy' or softer feeling but it is subtle. They have much more tread depth on them than the SC3s though. They are much quieter on the road too, which also gives a sense of a less harsh ride. We'll see how they do as the temps lower this fall.

This car is only driven on the street, no track use, so the higher dry track performance of the SC3s never really cane into play. I like the ability to drive the car year round on the Contis and not worry about wheel or tire swaps. So far I don't feel like I'm giving up much.

Last edited by 6sigma; 10-15-2021 at 05:22 PM.
6sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:14 PM   #20
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sigma View Post
I installed the Conti DWS06+ in 1LE sizes (285/30 and 305/30) on 1LE takeoff wheels on my LT1. I was running the standard 1LE GY Supercar 3 before, and the original LT1 GY all-season runflats before that. The Contis are only recently available in the 1LE sizes.

Compared to the GY Supercar 3, the Contis are much better in the wet or damp and very similar in the dry. The Contis are a little 'squishy' or softer feeling but it is subtle. They have much more tread depth on them than the SC3s though. They are much quieter on the road too, which also gives a sense of a less harsh ride. We'll see how they do as the temps lower this fall.

This car is only driven on the street, no track use, so the higher dry track performance of the SC3s never really cane into play. I like the ability to drive the car year round on the Contis and not worry about wheel or tire swaps. So far I don't feel like I'm giving up much.
Great review… this is precisely the info I was looking for related to the Conti’s
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 06:17 AM   #21
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
xx

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD

Last edited by avalonandl; 10-16-2021 at 08:55 AM. Reason: deleted
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 07:40 AM   #22
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Compared to the GY Supercar 3, the Contis are much better in the wet or damp and very similar in the dry.
Sorry, but the DWS are nowhere near the Goodyears in terms of dry traction or performance, unless maybe it's literally below freezing. Whether that difference in performance matters to the OP is another matter, but let's not accidently mislead anyone into thinking the DWS has better dry-weather performance than it really does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl
I have the Conti Extreme Contact Sport Summer tire and Conti says it doesn't fit.... wrong its the correct size. They hold the road fine.... and have a 340 wear index...I don't trach
The EC Sport is not relevant to any of this discussion. It's not an all-weather tire and has a completely different performance envelope than the DWS.
Old 10-16-2021, 03:16 PM   #23
6sigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
Sorry, but the DWS are nowhere near the Goodyears in terms of dry traction or performance, unless maybe it's literally below freezing. Whether that difference in performance matters to the OP is another matter, but let's not accidently mislead anyone into thinking the DWS has better dry-weather performance than it really does.

The EC Sport is not relevant to any of this discussion. It's not an all-weather tire and has a completely different performance envelope than the DWS.
Yeah, the Contis are definitely not track tires and don't have the dry performance of a dedicated summer-only tire, like the GY. Any dedicated summer-only performance tire will undoubtedly offer higher limits and performance on warm, dry tarmac. I would not recommend the Contis, or any all-season tire, for track use.

That said, on the street, the Contis offer a similar level of performance under normal street driving conditions (not approaching limits of grip or handling). I can get some wheel spin in 1st gear with the Contis the same as I could with the SC3. The GY SC3 definitely offer more grip in warm dry conditions and I'd guess the Contis might be a couple tenths slower to 60 because of it. But I'm ok with the tradeoff because the Contis are much better in the wet and usable in the cold where the SC3 were not.

We have 4 full seasons in my area and an all-season tire makes a Camaro a 12-month car instead of a 6-month car without wheel/tire swaps. I don't intend to drive the car in any real snow but it's nice to know that I could if I got caught in a bit of light snow. We have more cold, below freezing temps than we do accumulating snow usually. If I lived somewhere without freezing temps I'd probably stick with a summer only performance tire.

Also, the Contis weigh about 3 lbs less per tire versus the GY SC3. I figured they would be heavier but they are not. That's 12lbs of rotating and unsprung weight, the worst kind. Probably not noticeable on the street but at least it's better than being heavier!

I had a 991 Carrera that I drove year round for a while. I swapped dedicated winter tires (Pirelli Sottozero) in the fall, and they were really good in the cold and snow. I drove through a heavy snow squall with no issues. But they were not good handling in the transitory seasons when it started to warm up. Plus it was a hassle to swap tires twice a year. There are compromises with everything. I guess the best option is to have a fleet of vehicles and use the best one for conditions of the day!
Old 10-22-2021, 10:20 AM   #24
vtelvr

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtelvr View Post
This is very true. I am running stock sizes on my SS. I bumped the PSI to 38 on each corner and it helped. I was experiencing some squishy feelings when accelerating, and when cornering hard. Playing with the pressure has helped, and allowed me to get caught in the rain if I had to...and not get too sketchy.

So far, I am impressed with the tires overall. They don't mind wet roads, but watch out for puddles. It will grab the steering wheel out of your hand.
I have to update this review. However, understand I am not blaming the specific tire..at least not just yet. I found this week that with about 7,350 miles on my set of four continental tires that the front tires are down to the wear bars. They are worn evenly across, not just on the inside or outside shoulder. I have contacted Continental and they opened a claim for me.

I have an appointment tomorrow to have the car checked over and to get replacement tires. When I had the set of 4 installed, the tire shop did a full alignment as well. I’m anxious to see what the new shop tomorrow says about the current alignment on the car. Something is definitely off about the car, the tires, or a combo of the two. The rear tires are in great shape as you’d imagine at 7k miles.

I will post up my findings.
vtelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 09:17 PM   #25
blackmobile

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Yeah, the Contis are definitely not track tires and don't have the dry performance of a dedicated summer-only tire, like the GY. Any dedicated summer-only performance tire will undoubtedly offer higher limits and performance on warm, dry tarmac. I would not recommend the Contis, or any all-season tire, for track use.

That said, on the street, the Contis offer a similar level of performance under normal street driving conditions (not approaching limits of grip or handling). I can get some wheel spin in 1st gear with the Contis the same as I could with the SC3. The GY SC3 definitely offer more grip in warm dry conditions and I'd guess the Contis might be a couple tenths slower to 60 because of it. But I'm ok with the tradeoff because the Contis are much better in the wet and usable in the cold where the SC3 were not.

We have 4 full seasons in my area and an all-season tire makes a Camaro a 12-month car instead of a 6-month car without wheel/tire swaps. I don't intend to drive the car in any real snow but it's nice to know that I could if I got caught in a bit of light snow. We have more cold, below freezing temps than we do accumulating snow usually. If I lived somewhere without freezing temps I'd probably stick with a summer only performance tire.

Also, the Contis weigh about 3 lbs less per tire versus the GY SC3. I figured they would be heavier but they are not. That's 12lbs of rotating and unsprung weight, the worst kind. Probably not noticeable on the street but at least it's better than being heavier!

I had a 991 Carrera that I drove year round for a while. I swapped dedicated winter tires (Pirelli Sottozero) in the fall, and they were really good in the cold and snow. I drove through a heavy snow squall with no issues. But they were not good handling in the transitory seasons when it started to warm up. Plus it was a hassle to swap tires twice a year. There are compromises with everything. I guess the best option is to have a fleet of vehicles and use the best one for conditions of the day!
I'm interested in getting the Continentals in 1LE size for my 2SS non-1LE. There's probably a near zero chance this car will see track use, so it's all street with some twisty California backroads sprinkled in. My commute does have a few miles of country roads, so there's opportunities for some spirited driving. How would you describe the grip for some spirited driving on twisty backroads?

For context, I drove the car with the regular SS non-1LE stock tires (245 front and 275 rear) on a fun twisty mountain road and didn't feel like I was exceeding the limits of the tires. I was satisfied with the grip they provided. Also, I'm in central California, so temperatures rarely drop below freezing for any significant amount of time. Wet roads can be an issue though.

I'd welcome any feedback/suggestions!
blackmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 10:46 AM   #26
Vaska

Drives: On Hiatus
I've decided to replace my terrible NT05s that came on the car when I bought it. Just horrific tires, noisy at any speed and whatever performance gains they give are pointless for my driving style. I don't track and autox pretty much is non-existent in my area. I need something for spirited driving with a good-enough treadwear.

DWS06+ are the way to go it seems. Even though I run dedicated winters in the cold months here in the prairies, I believe a performance all-season is the way to go. They cost less than summers, seem to get good reviews on noise and are actually decent in the rain.
Vaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 02:15 PM   #27
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmobile View Post
I'm interested in getting the Continentals in 1LE size for my 2SS non-1LE. There's probably a near zero chance this car will see track use, so it's all street with some twisty California backroads sprinkled in. My commute does have a few miles of country roads, so there's opportunities for some spirited driving. How would you describe the grip for some spirited driving on twisty backroads?

For context, I drove the car with the regular SS non-1LE stock tires (245 front and 275 rear) on a fun twisty mountain road and didn't feel like I was exceeding the limits of the tires. I was satisfied with the grip they provided. Also, I'm in central California, so temperatures rarely drop below freezing for any significant amount of time. Wet roads can be an issue though.

I may be interested in something similar for my 2SS with the conti's. If I get ILE wheels or knockoffs do I need to do anything else? Spacers? Any effect on traction control etc?
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 06:22 PM   #28
6sigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmobile View Post

So far, I really like them. I don't have many miles yet but they are doing really well in the cool temps and wet conditions lately. In the cold and damp they are noticeably better than the aggressive SC3 that were on my 1LE wheels before.

I've pushed them on some on ramps and full throttle launches and they handle well. No complaints yet! Will see how they hold up over some miles.