Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-09-2021, 09:45 AM   #1
dengel223

Drives: 21 ZL1 A10
Cool 2021 ZL1 - Low Boost, less than 2 PSI

I have a 2021 ZL1 A10 and wanted to keep an eye on my MATs during a track event here in South Florida. I logged my session using the HP Tuners MPVI2 adapter and after reviewing the logs, noticed that my boost stayed below 2 PSI for the entire run, even under WOT. See attached photo and HPT log.

I checked the bypass valve set screw, took of the SC lid and the valve looks like it closes ok. The boost calculation in HPT shows MAP minus Barometric Pressure. The Barometric pressure shows 96 kPa which is about 14 PSI, I think that's right for South Florida sea level. It looks like my MAP is low at ~110 kPa which is about 16 psi.

I took a look at another ZL1 log and his kPa was in the 160's which makes sense and it was showing around 10 psi of boost. My MAF reading was also similar to the other ZL1.

Took the car to the dealer and they didn't want to help me or maybe couldn't help me.

Any suggestions?
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip pbir snippit hpl format.zip (110.3 KB, 168 views)
File Type: zip pbir snippet csv format.zip (48.1 KB, 125 views)
dengel223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 07:42 PM   #2
Krowser

Drives: ZL1 Mosaic Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengel223 View Post
I have a 2021 ZL1 A10 and wanted to keep an eye on my MATs during a track event here in South Florida. I logged my session using the HP Tuners MPVI2 adapter and after reviewing the logs, noticed that my boost stayed below 2 PSI for the entire run, even under WOT. See attached photo and HPT log.

I checked the bypass valve set screw, took of the SC lid and the valve looks like it closes ok. The boost calculation in HPT shows MAP minus Barometric Pressure. The Barometric pressure shows 96 kPa which is about 14 PSI, I think that's right for South Florida sea level. It looks like my MAP is low at ~110 kPa which is about 16 psi.

I took a look at another ZL1 log and his kPa was in the 160's which makes sense and it was showing around 10 psi of boost. My MAF reading was also similar to the other ZL1.

Took the car to the dealer and they didn't want to help me or maybe couldn't help me.

Any suggestions?
If you are in the southflorida area and your car is stock....take it to autonation chevorlet pines...ask to see Guy in the service department...their techs are pretty good..
Krowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 08:17 PM   #3
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
are you sure the channel config is correct?
the car would be really slow with only 2psi - you would immediately know there was something wrong.

Try using someone elses channel config.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 08:27 PM   #4
LiqTenExp

Drives: 2017 ZL1
That MAT temp of 149°F is about right for a well maintained stock LT4 IC system with 195°F ECT in 95°F ambient. It picked up ~7° after the pull so something was making heat due what you'd hope was boost.

The MAF flow ~matches a stock LT4 dyno log I found. It made about 170 kPa on the MAP @ 4600 lb/min on MAF. You are hitting 108 kPa @ 4500 lb/min and he rev'd a little higher.

Maybe a bad MAP sensor or logged channels? Not much to go on with parameters you logged, try the set I uploaded. There some stuff in there for M6 car (clutch related) and WB02, ignore those for your logging purposes.
Attached Files
File Type: zip try this.Channels.zip (411 Bytes, 123 views)

Last edited by LiqTenExp; 08-09-2021 at 09:00 PM.
LiqTenExp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:55 PM   #5
dengel223

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiqTenExp View Post
That MAT temp of 149°F is about right for a well maintained stock LT4 IC system with 195°F ECT in 95°F ambient. It picked up ~7° after the pull so something was making heat due what you'd hope was boost.

The MAF flow ~matches a stock LT4 dyno log I found. It made about 170 kPa on the MAP @ 4600 lb/min on MAF. You are hitting 108 kPa @ 4500 lb/min and he rev'd a little higher.

Maybe a bad MAP sensor or logged channels? Not much to go on with parameters you logged, try the set I uploaded. There some stuff in there for M6 car (clutch related) and WB02, ignore those for your logging purposes.
Thanks for the reply! I loaded your channel set and did a few runs. See attached. The second set I did w/o the A/C running, not that it made a difference. What do you think?
Attached Files
File Type: zip new channel runs.zip (485.6 KB, 115 views)
Old 08-09-2021, 10:57 PM   #6
dengel223

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttowl View Post
are you sure the channel config is correct?
the car would be really slow with only 2psi - you would immediately know there was something wrong.

Try using someone elses channel config.
I tried with another channel config and same results. You are right, the car does not seem lacking in power. I would think missing 8 psi of boost would be significant. Hopefully just a sensor issue.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:58 PM   #7
dengel223

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krowser View Post
If you are in the southflorida area and your car is stock....take it to autonation chevorlet pines...ask to see Guy in the service department...their techs are pretty good..
I appreciate the referral. I will reach out to Guy and see if he will help. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2021, 04:44 PM   #8
LiqTenExp

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I can't wait for someone to figure this out, this is some weird data your car is producing.

The MAP is isn't following the MAF above 40kPa (6 psi / -8.7 psia) in run 2 but somehow in run 1 it doesn't follow above 100 kpA (14.7 psi / 0 psia). That's confusing... Some of the runs the dynamic airflow ramps very linearly (as if its using another filtered source) and sometimes it is dead flat. Neither are typical. Dynamic uses MAP, MAF, TPS, RPM, IAT, and VE inputs. MAF, IAT, RPM, and TPS look nominal, again that points at MAP sensor.

You have some very weird behavior with Delivered Tq vs. Immediate/Predicted Tq. There are times when delivered is normal but the Immediate/Predicted are very low and no TqMgtAdv is coming into play when I would have thought it should, see attachment.

Low side/High side fueling looks fine. You have some knock which is typical of a stock tune, what kind of fuel are you running?

Is this a stock tune?
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2021, 09:37 PM   #9
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
You're logging the wrong MAP PID. You have to use the Hi Res Non SAE MAP PID.
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 10:34 PM   #10
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
You're logging the wrong MAP PID. You have to use the Hi Res Non SAE MAP PID.

His pid is correct and matches his boost pid. Any of the intake manifold pressure will use the generic manifold pressure sensor.

His boost pid hes using the Maths, Airflow, boost which is correct.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:30 AM   #11
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post
His pid is correct and matches his boost pid. Any of the intake manifold pressure will use the generic manifold pressure sensor.

His boost pid hes using the Maths, Airflow, boost which is correct.

I have found on the LT4 you have to log the PID, Manifold Absolute Pressure - Hi Res in addition to Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure for proper MAP readings. To be honest I had to do this so long ago when Gen V stuff was new that I forgot exactly why. But I do remember having the exact same issues with the LT4 where the boost reference and MAP reading was incorrect. Do you have another suggested fix for the incorrect value?

We solved this on HPTuners forum long ago....could the ZL1 have the same nuance? It just might be possible.....

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-LT4-Questions

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...e-do-I-find-it

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...pressure-ratio

Last edited by Megahurtz; 08-11-2021 at 07:47 AM.
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:39 AM   #12
dengel223

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
I have found on the LT4 you have to log the PID, Manifold Absolute Pressure - Hi Res in addition to Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure for proper MAP readings. To be honest I had to do this so long ago when Gen V stuff was new that I forgot exactly why. But I do remember having the exact same issues with the LT4 where the boost reference and MAP reading was incorrect. Do you have another suggested fix for the incorrect value?

We solved this on HPTuners forum long ago....could the ZL1 have the same nuance? It just might be possible.....

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-LT4-Questions

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...e-do-I-find-it

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...pressure-ratio
Hi, I added the MAP Hi-Res and did a couple more runs. It looks like the Hi-Res gets to over 160 kPa but then drops down suddenly mid pull. Does this look like the right sensor to read? See attached runs.
Attached Files
File Type: zip map hi res runs.zip (482.4 KB, 118 views)
Old 08-11-2021, 08:41 AM   #13
dengel223

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiqTenExp View Post
I can't wait for someone to figure this out, this is some weird data your car is producing.

The MAP is isn't following the MAF above 40kPa (6 psi / -8.7 psia) in run 2 but somehow in run 1 it doesn't follow above 100 kpA (14.7 psi / 0 psia). That's confusing... Some of the runs the dynamic airflow ramps very linearly (as if its using another filtered source) and sometimes it is dead flat. Neither are typical. Dynamic uses MAP, MAF, TPS, RPM, IAT, and VE inputs. MAF, IAT, RPM, and TPS look nominal, again that points at MAP sensor.

You have some very weird behavior with Delivered Tq vs. Immediate/Predicted Tq. There are times when delivered is normal but the Immediate/Predicted are very low and no TqMgtAdv is coming into play when I would have thought it should, see attachment.

Low side/High side fueling looks fine. You have some knock which is typical of a stock tune, what kind of fuel are you running?

Is this a stock tune?
Hi, yes the car is stock. I'm running 93 octane pump gas.
Old 08-12-2021, 12:52 PM   #14
dengel223

Compare vs a stock 2019 ZL1 WOT Log

Here's a stock log that shows both the MAP and MAP Hi Res as the same with a healthy 10 psi boost and 160+ kPa MAP reading...I don't think the issue is with the channels on HP Tuners...unless something changed from the 2019 to 2021 model.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Stock 2019 ZL1 WOT Pull.zip (98.4 KB, 155 views)

Tags
boost, map, psi, zl1