Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - Texas

Phastek Performance

Old 04-25-2021, 03:34 PM   #1
Leadrightpedal

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Please recommend a trusted service shop in Houston - no dealers

I have 40k miles on my 2018 SS 1LE. It’s time to get some maintenance done.

I want to get my diff oil changed and front brakes done but with the Brembo rotors mounted to the original hats for a huge savings. I don’t mind paying for labor but I don’t see the point of paying triple to have the exact GM replacement part when the Brembo rotor is the exact same part which just has to be mounted to the original hat.

The independent service shops in my area seem to be very good but they deal with European makes. So when I took my car in for an oil change the one shop was very good but they are kind of clueless about the whole GM parts ordering system and I got the impression they’d rather not deal with it.

I’d like a recommendation on a shop that knows our cars and will work with me on this common sense path for front rotor replacement. Also one that will advise me correctly on everything else that should be checked and/or replaced at this point in the car’s life.
Leadrightpedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 01:56 PM   #2
zirad54

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, MRC, NPP,
do it yourself. Everything else is going to be hit and miss including dealerships. Also, you may want to include what area of Houston you are in. No point in me recommending shops in Alvin, if you live in Spring.
zirad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 09:44 PM   #3
Leadrightpedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirad54 View Post
do it yourself. Everything else is going to be hit and miss including dealerships. Also, you may want to include what area of Houston you are in. No point in me recommending shops in Alvin, if you live in Spring.
Honestly i’m not very mechanically savvy with cars. I am located inside the loop so I can get to any suburb easily.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:27 PM   #4
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Rockauto.com is probably the cheapest way to replace the rotors but that may not be needed yet at 40k miles. You should be able to find a shop to install the parts you provide especially if you show the receipt to prove they are new but dealerships typically make money on the parts order due to markup on top of the labor charge so they probably won't use parts you provide.

The ACDelco part numbers are below and they include new hats preinstalled...identical to the GM parts. Paying someone $100+ per hour labor rate to swap the hats will probably negate any savings you get from ordering Brembo rotors without the hat.

Also have you measured your front rotor thickness? It is easy to do with the wheels on using digital calipers like these: https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-d...ngs-63731.html

I have over 20 track days on mine plus apparently more track or spirited driving done by the previous owner and have over 30k miles on the car but they are still above minimum thickness with no cracks to an edge so I keep running them with spares on hand. There is now a lip on the outer edge of the rotors but it doesn't hurt anything.

ACDELCO 1771193 (177-1193) Rotor $ 344.79
ACDELCO 1771194 (177-1194) Rotor $ 344.79

New rotors are 34mm thick and they should be replaced once they reach 32mm according to GM.

Last edited by cdrptrks; 04-29-2021 at 12:37 PM.
cdrptrks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:21 PM   #5
Leadrightpedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
Rockauto.com is probably the cheapest way to replace the rotors but that may not be needed yet at 40k miles. You should be able to find a shop to install the parts you provide especially if you show the receipt to prove they are new but dealerships typically make money on the parts order due to markup on top of the labor charge so they probably won't use parts you provide.

The ACDelco part numbers are below and they include new hats preinstalled...identical to the GM parts. Paying someone $100+ per hour labor rate to swap the hats will probably negate any savings you get from ordering Brembo rotors without the hat.

Also have you measured your front rotor thickness? It is easy to do with the wheels on using digital calipers like these: https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-d...ngs-63731.html

I have over 20 track days on mine plus apparently more track or spirited driving done by the previous owner and have over 30k miles on the car but they are still above minimum thickness with no cracks to an edge so I keep running them with spares on hand. There is now a lip on the outer edge of the rotors but it doesn't hurt anything.

ACDELCO 1771193 (177-1193) Rotor $ 344.79
ACDELCO 1771194 (177-1194) Rotor $ 344.79

New rotors are 34mm thick and they should be replaced once they reach 32mm according to GM.

Wow thank you for that information. I'd rather just order the preinstalled rotors. My problem started when the car was in the body shop. The guy had the car for 6 weeks for a minor 1 panel repair. The brakes have always shuddered since then. The feel better right after a car wash but they just feel better for a few hours at best. People say "warped" rotor but whatever that means.

I just need a guy in central Houston who isn't into European cars. I took may car to one and the simple act of looking at the GM parts ordering system seemed to frustrate him.

I know they are car people but it seems shops just get into the habit of working on European cars and their quirks and they don't really want to deal with a Chevy.

Just some guy who can do brakes, do my alignment and fluids. But is familiar with GM products and does good work.
Old 05-19-2021, 09:04 AM   #6
cdrptrks

You can also try bedding your brakes with about 10 repeated hard braking events from highway speeds to about 15mph with a minute or less in between each one followed by 10+ minutes of cruise control on the highway without touching your brakes at all but it can be hard to find empty enough roads to do that safely near downtown. The shudder may be caused by uneven pad deposits which should be eliminated by bedding the brakes in properly.
Old 05-19-2021, 09:09 AM   #7
cdrptrks

You can also try visually inspecting the rotors for any pad deposits and feeling for any raised bumps with your finger. If found they could be manually sanded off with garnet paper. Hard to do for the back side of the rotors though unless you have ramps that the SS 1LE front splitter will clear or a jack and jack stands.

Or here's a more aggressive way to do it:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...php?p=10916312
Old 05-23-2021, 03:50 PM   #8
Leadrightpedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
You can also try visually inspecting the rotors for any pad deposits and feeling for any raised bumps with your finger. If found they could be manually sanded off with garnet paper. Hard to do for the back side of the rotors though unless you have ramps that the SS 1LE front splitter will clear or a jack and jack stands.

Or here's a more aggressive way to do it:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...php?p=10916312
I have tried rebedding and most likely my technique may have been too aggressive. I'll try again. Then try sanding them if rebedding doesn't work.

It definitely is a symptom that has it's ups and downs. You don't feel it much or at all when braking at higher speeds. It feels a lot more shaky during low speed braking around town. Hopefully if I get the deposits off I can be done with this issue.