Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-08-2021, 03:15 PM   #71
CRBWS6

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE SCCA FS, 99 WS-6, E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitereality View Post
Totally agree! I never understood why people get bent out of shape about spacers or adapters of reasonable size. I've never had issues with any I've ran, both centric and non-centric, but I also take my time when running the lug nuts (or bolts in case of Audi) down.

I believe I read some where the front hub is 6-7mm, but never measured mine. I just ordered some hubcentric 10mm spacers from the places above, I expect a little protrusion to the wheel's hub, but unsure exactly how much.
Carguy, thanks for clarifying about your 5mm spacers + flange - I figured that's what you meant.

Infinite, I measured the front hub projection at 11.5mm, so your 10mm spacer would render a 1.5mm net projection past the spacer. Hence my concern with fitment of a 10mm spacer (if it comes with its own hub flange like carguy55's).
Old 10-11-2021, 06:44 AM   #72
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Drives: 2018 ZL1 & 2022 Hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRBWS6 View Post
Carguy, thanks for clarifying about your 5mm spacers + flange - I figured that's what you meant.

Infinite, I measured the front hub projection at 11.5mm, so your 10mm spacer would render a 1.5mm net projection past the spacer. Hence my concern with fitment of a 10mm spacer (if it comes with its own hub flange like carguy55's).
I stand corrected, thanks for measuring and you're right. I stacked 2-5mm spacers (just to see how 10mm looked) and still had some hub remaining. I'll post a picture when they come in from the same place, after ordering they sent an email saying 4-6 weeks due to supply. I'm expecting no flange due to what you said though. I ordered OEM to OEM hub size and hopefully I'll see them sooner, but at least in progress.
- RotoFab Dry, Forgestar CF5V (ZLE Spec), Eibach Pro, AeroForce Interceptor, GT4 Tow Hook
- Carbon Fiber (Satin): Radio, Shifter, Steering Wheel Controls, Shifter Top, AC Vents, Side Mirrors & Shark Fin
2022 Suzuki Hayabusa - Brilliant White Pearl & Shocker Yellow Wheels
- +4 Arm, 240 OEM Wheel, Brock's CT (Ti) Exhaust, 1.25" drop, etc...
infinitereality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:15 AM   #73
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Decided to cancel my order for the custom 10mm spacers, just wasn't 100% confident on what the size I will end up with. Bought a set of of generic hubcentric 10mm spacers. As CRBWS6 pointed out, these have no flange just a 66.9mm hub opening and confirmed there is still about 1.5mm of hub sticking through them.

I ordered both Dorman and PTC extended lugs a few weeks ago and ultimately decided to install the PTC due to them being a little shorter in hopes I wouldn't need longer lugs or have to shorten them...which with 10mm spacers, I did need to pull out my longer lugs to use on the front. I did not want to shorten them just yet until I figure out what spacer size I will end up with and then I'll shorten to spec.

Install of extended lugs took me ~1.5hrs start to finish, taking my time. Knocked OEM out, pulled new ones on with the tool someone recommended. I did have to stack 7 (I think) thick washers (~1/8") below the tool so I could use OEM lug to pull them through. Should have just bought an open end lug, but didn't think about it until I was doing it.
Attached Images

- RotoFab Dry, Forgestar CF5V (ZLE Spec), Eibach Pro, AeroForce Interceptor, GT4 Tow Hook
- Carbon Fiber (Satin): Radio, Shifter, Steering Wheel Controls, Shifter Top, AC Vents, Side Mirrors & Shark Fin
Old 10-28-2021, 01:39 PM   #74
CRBWS6

Car looks great! Did the PTC necessitate removal of the brakes, or did you not attempt to install w/brakes on? One of the reasons I ordered ARP was based on talk in here that they could be installed w/ brakes on. However, the backorder date keeps getting extended, so maybe time for a plan B.
Old 10-28-2021, 01:58 PM   #75
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Quote:
Car looks great! Did the PTC necessitate removal of the brakes, or did you not attempt to install w/brakes on? One of the reasons I ordered ARP was based on talk in here that they could be installed w/ brakes on. However, the backorder date keeps getting extended, so maybe time for a plan B.
Thanks! I forgot to mention the picture was with 10mm front spacers and 5mm rear.

Honestly I didn't even give it a try based on what was said in this thread. While it's only 2 caliper bolts and rotor hold screw, I found getting the caliper bolts back in were probably the worse part of the install (if you can even call this whole swap hard, lol). Just seemed like the tolerance on caliper threads were tight and these bolts are fairly long. If I was you, get the PTC studs and get it done. I'm glad I didn't wait and even more so as the promise date keeps getting pushed back.

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH:
I plan to go to 15mm front and 10mm spacers for a more offset, once I install ZLE dive planes. Not after as much poke as a ZLE, but more than flush (or at least see how it looks).

I also got some short extended lug nuts that have the collar that goes through the stud opening on the wheels for 0.3" extra thread engagement. With these, I will be able to keep my stock studs on the rear and run a 10mm spacer without issue. Best part of these lug nuts is I got a barely used set on Amazon for $14.62 shipped. Came in yesterday and all are brand new looking, but won't install them until I install the canards.

For anyone reading this and wants to go with a max of 10mm front and/or rear spacers AND stock studs, these lug nuts should net you extra thread engagement to do it safely (and easily).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HRHKMMA
Old 11-02-2021, 02:48 PM   #76
CRBWS6

Really like the idea of the extended thread lugs. Was scared off based on disclaimer of another amz seller:

About this item
Extended Thread (ET) lug nuts are designed to help center lug-centric aftermarket wheels on the vehicle's wheel studs. Our ET lug nuts fit most lug-centric aftermarket wheels with a 16mm diameter lug hole and a conical lug nut seat.
ET lug nuts are NOT compatible with factory original OEM wheels. ET lug nuts do NOT provide additional thread engagement on your wheel studs. Applications that need more thread engagement may require extended length wheel studs to be installed.

Thoughts??
Old 11-03-2021, 05:56 AM   #77
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Quote:
Really like the idea of the extended thread lugs. Was scared off based on disclaimer of another amz seller:

About this item
Extended Thread (ET) lug nuts are designed to help center lug-centric aftermarket wheels on the vehicle's wheel studs. Our ET lug nuts fit most lug-centric aftermarket wheels with a 16mm diameter lug hole and a conical lug nut seat.
ET lug nuts are NOT compatible with factory original OEM wheels. ET lug nuts do NOT provide additional thread engagement on your wheel studs. Applications that need more thread engagement may require extended length wheel studs to be installed.

Thoughts??
Unless I'm missing something, these lugs seem have 0.30" of thread engagement. They appear same size as my Gorilla lugs, just extended thru the wheel.

One thing I have not checked is for room inside lug opening on the wheels for the extended part. I'll test fit this weekend
Old 11-03-2021, 08:18 AM   #78
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
Quote:

About this item

Thoughts??
I wondered about that. Speculation here: could be that the sleeve portion that goes into the wheel is too thin to add any strength to the nut? Thereby negating the additional thread count engagement
Old 11-03-2021, 09:01 AM   #79
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
I don't know why anyone would use ET lug nuts unless they needed extra thread engagement. That whole disclaimer is insane: all wheels are located on the hub by the taper of the lug nut and it's engagement with the tapered wheel seat. The little extended sleeve has nothing to do with it! Same with lug-centric wheels and adapters/spacers: that shit is totally irrelevant to holding the wheel in place. This why I get so frustrated with all the misinformation out there about "centricity" of wheels and spacers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by h018871 View Post
I wondered about that. Speculation here: could be that the sleeve portion that goes into the wheel is too thin to add any strength to the nut? Thereby negating the additional thread count engagement
This shouldn't be the issue, though. The only force the lug nuts should have to withstand is that which is placed on the threads by the 140-lb/ft of final torque. If you have 4-5 turns of thread on the main tapered part of the lug nut, then just those treads alone can easily handle that (six full turns would be enough for safe engagement without any extra thread area). This extra "sleeve" thread length only adds to that, to give a little extra margin of safety.
Old 11-03-2021, 12:07 PM   #80
CRBWS6

Matt - good input, and appreciate your dispelling of the misinformation from the other amz seller.

So, for the sake of future readers, it sounds like we are all on the same page that using ET lugs to make up for a reduced thread engagement due to spacers is a legit alternative to extended studs (?).

Recap of infinite's specific spacer/ET lug combo:

9.3 turns (OEM approximate) - 6.7 turns (10mm spacer) = 2.6 turns (not enough)

+5.1 turns due to ET lugs = (0.3" x 25.4mm/inch)/1.5mm/turn.

RESULT: 7.7 turns (sufficient).
Old 11-07-2021, 01:09 AM   #81
CRBWS6

Infinite, are your SS 1LE wheels OEM or replica?

BTW - I spoke to a few folks at SEMA and consensus was that ET lugs are a reasonable alternative to extended studs, as long as the lug cones still seat correctly and the desired turns of the nut are achieved....oh, and several 6th gens participated in the Optima Ultimate Street Car event.
Old 11-07-2021, 01:13 AM   #82
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Quote:
Infinite, are your SS 1LE wheels OEM or replica?

BTW - I spoke to a few folks at SEMA and consensus was that ET lugs are a reasonable alternative to extended studs, as long as the lug cones still seat correctly and the desired turns of the nut are achieved....oh, and several 6th gens participated in the Optima Ultimate Street Car event.
Mine are MRRs. Thanks for asking about it, good to hear!
Old 11-08-2021, 12:38 PM   #83
CRBWS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitereality View Post
One thing I have not checked is for room inside lug opening on the wheels for the extended part. I'll test fit this weekend
Were you able to confirm the MRR lug opening provides enough room for the extended part? Also have MRR here.
Old 11-09-2021, 06:22 AM   #84
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Quote:
Were you able to confirm the MRR lug opening provides enough room for the extended part? Also have MRR here.
I was out of town last week for SEMA, haven't attempted lugs at all. I plan to try them out today after work and will report back about the collar, good or bad.