Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 06-17-2017, 07:45 AM   #15
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Blocks can handle a lot. Stock rotating assembly depends on how lucky you are. I've seen pistons crack in 1/2 at only 600rwhp, then some motors taking 700-750 no problem.
In 2014 there was a lot of problems on piston quality. It seems that the quality got better as the years progressed.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:36 PM   #16
toohighpsi

Drives: 2015 C7 Z06 M7
I'm running 730-750 RWHP with Maggie on a completely stock engine - valve covers have never been removed.

Just drove the car for the 1400+ miles of Hot Rod Power Tour - we ran it in the autocross and drag events on the tour. While it was hot, humid, and track prep was non existent, my fastest ET on the Tour was 10.18 and my slowest was 10.4. As long as you don't run it out of fuel or into any knock, I'm pretty confident that all of the stock parts are good for 1K flywheel HP (900 RWHP). See you at the track!

www.toohighpsi.com

2015 Corvette Z06 M7
2021 Porsche GT4 M6
2023 Corvette Z51
toohighpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:07 PM   #17
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by toohighpsi View Post
I'm running 730-750 RWHP with Maggie on a completely stock engine - valve covers have never been removed.

Just drove the car for the 1400+ miles of Hot Rod Power Tour - we ran it in the autocross and drag events on the tour. While it was hot, humid, and track prep was non existent, my fastest ET on the Tour was 10.18 and my slowest was 10.4. As long as you don't run it out of fuel or into any knock, I'm pretty confident that all of the stock parts are good for 1K flywheel HP (900 RWHP). See you at the track!
can you explain what tuners will do to the tune in order to reduce chance of knock?
Old 06-19-2017, 12:14 PM   #18
mjmenke

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
can you explain what tuners will do to the tune in order to reduce chance of knock?
Quick and basic answer...They will run less timing and add more fuel (make it run rich).
Old 06-19-2017, 12:25 PM   #19
DenverTaco07

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmenke View Post
Quick and basic answer...They will run less timing and add more fuel (make it run rich).
Thank you, I will research the implications of pulling timing - I'm a total noob so...
Old 06-19-2017, 01:23 PM   #20
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Well since I put in my 2 cents earlier I'm going to have to retract my earlier statement about no problems with 650whp. I took my car to eagles canyon raceway on Saturday and broke the ring-lands on one piston. Ambient temps were close to 90 and the car had been going full out for about 20 minutes when it let go. Still runs but blew oil out the front main seal and shows one dead cylinder on the diagnosis. I do know that road courses with longer straights are a lot more taxing on your engine than 1/4 miles so I guess it depends on what you plan on doing with the car. I'm looking at replacing the pistons for sure now, don't have a choice.

Just a side note I was mixing race and pump gas so I'm estimating I was about 95 octane and didn't have any knock at all. It was very strong and I was reeling in some very fast cars in the advanced group before it let go. Never ran out of methanol so I'm confident afr's remained optimal. I'm pretty bummed because I wasn't planning on footing this bill but stuff happens. Now I'm thinking if you road race in hot weather you need to limit the stock block to about 600whp or less.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:42 PM   #21
Turbo_RORO

Drives: Camaro 17 SS
Sorry to hear about the piston failure. Jessrayo PM sent.
Turbo_RORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:43 AM   #22
toohighpsi

Drives: 2015 C7 Z06 M7
Quote:
Only things you can do are:

1. Manage inlet temps - improve intercooler performance and/or water injection.
2. Increase fuel octane.

Boosting on an LT1 engine is balance of IAT, octane, boost, and timing. These engine do not like to be rich, anything richer than 11.8 - 12.0 A/F ratio does not seem to have any particular benefit to controlling knock (but richer mixtures do help control catalyst temp).
As with any engine there is a balance between these to create the highest power - and it normally doesn't end with more boost.

I see lots of people looking to upgrade their fuel system, if you're running pump gas without water injection and/or higher octane fuel there isn't really much to gain. These boosted 11.5:1 compression ratio engines will run into the knock limit on pump gas long before they run out of fuel when tuned properly.

If knock is controlled, the fuel system modification become beneficial and you can push the engines pretty hard. Last week in Indy it was about 90 degrees out - I was running MS109 unleaded, ~1600cc/min of 50/50 water/methanol mix, and about 16psi of boost with the maggie to low 10s at 135+ MPH. After the first pass it was clear that I had plenty of capacity in the fuel system and was wishing that I had went with a 70% water / 30% methanol mixture for better cooling. I started with the 50/50 to be on the safe side with fuel.

Fuel system currently on the car is LT4 injectors, Big Bore HPDI pump, and ZL1 in tank. I was running a 12.5:1 A/F ratio with about 25 degrees of timing and 16 psi of boost - please don't try this at home

Link to one of the 10.4 passes below, I'll get the 10.18 pass posted shortly.

https://youtu.be/rgcxshhUKOs

www.toohighpsi.com

2015 Corvette Z06 M7
2021 Porsche GT4 M6
2023 Corvette Z51
toohighpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:58 AM   #23
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by toohighpsi View Post
Only things you can do are:

1. Manage inlet temps - improve intercooler performance and/or water injection.
2. Increase fuel octane.
Don't you also modify the timing curve when changing the tune to address knock?
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:46 AM   #24
DenverTaco07

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
Well since I put in my 2 cents earlier I'm going to have to retract my earlier statement about no problems with 650whp. I took my car to eagles canyon raceway on Saturday and broke the ring-lands on one piston. Ambient temps were close to 90 and the car had been going full out for about 20 minutes when it let go. Still runs but blew oil out the front main seal and shows one dead cylinder on the diagnosis. I do know that road courses with longer straights are a lot more taxing on your engine than 1/4 miles so I guess it depends on what you plan on doing with the car. I'm looking at replacing the pistons for sure now, don't have a choice.

Just a side note I was mixing race and pump gas so I'm estimating I was about 95 octane and didn't have any knock at all. It was very strong and I was reeling in some very fast cars in the advanced group before it let go. Never ran out of methanol so I'm confident afr's remained optimal. I'm pretty bummed because I wasn't planning on footing this bill but stuff happens. Now I'm thinking if you road race in hot weather you need to limit the stock block to about 600whp or less.
oh man...that sucks.

Let us know what you end up putting in. If I get further itches to increase HP i'll be looking at short block work for sure. Would be nice to have a few "kits" available.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:10 PM   #25
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
oh man...that sucks.

Let us know what you end up putting in. If I get further itches to increase HP i'll be looking at short block work for sure. Would be nice to have a few "kits" available.
I'm trying to decide how far to go while I have the engine out. At the very least I'm going to drop the compression ration to 10 to 1 so I can run a little more boost on pump gas. I'm serious thinking about going up to 416 cubic inches with a stroker crank just to improve air flow a little into the turbos and improve torque before it comes into boost. I will definitely put in a new cam with the bigger fuel lobes. Then when everything is off why not port the heads....upgrade the valves.....put in a higher rpm valvetrain.....upgrade the oil pump..... why did this thing have to break? I just can't bring myself to doing a "cheap" rebuild....

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:43 PM   #26
Joe's_cool_1le

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Not necessarily off topic but i'm considering how much HP during my travels I'm now looking at this.
https://www.texas-speed.com/p-4412-t...ort-block.aspx
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Joe's_cool_1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:43 PM   #27
DenverTaco07

Quote:
I'm trying to decide how far to go while I have the engine out. At the very least I'm going to drop the compression ration to 10 to 1 so I can run a little more boost on pump gas. I'm serious thinking about going up to 416 cubic inches with a stroker crank just to improve air flow a little into the turbos and improve torque before it comes into boost. I will definitely put in a new cam with the bigger fuel lobes. Then when everything is off why not port the heads....upgrade the valves.....put in a higher rpm valvetrain.....upgrade the oil pump..... why did this thing have to break? I just can't bring myself to doing a "cheap" rebuild....
yup, go all out at this point. I'm thinking if my motor goes, may as well go balls to the wall.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:10 AM   #28
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
My car has seen over 7000 miles over 650whp. I owned it less than a week before it got turbos. The internals are all stock. I don't daily drive it, it is a toy. When it leaves the garage I usually run it hard. No problems yet. If you stay below 700whp the stock motor should be fine.
Are you running meth and cam w a different fuel lobe profile?

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote