Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 12-01-2021, 11:40 AM   #127
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i have done alot of work first the spl parts kit and then the mcs 1 way kit and camber plates so havent had alot of time to do testing yet first day out i was a bit slower at fontana but alot of new parts to get used to lol now im buying a house so may not be at the track too much
Old 08-24-2022, 01:27 AM   #128
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
talked to the owner of spl last week sean farrah about his new line of 6th gen suspension parts after he took his 1le out to cota last week for super lap battle ! parts look super nice , they are mostly known for nissan/import parts but trying to break into the domestic line starting here!

https://www.splparts.com/2016-6th-gen-camaro/
I’m not sure how they’re going to increase their presence and sales in the Camaro community with the quality control issues they seem to be having based off my experience with their front lower control arm bearings over a years worth of time and multiple replacement bearings, which would lead me to doubt that I’m the only one who has had the following experience

I have to say that unfortunately my experience with the quality of the SPL parts has not been very good so far, one year after putting SPL front lower control arms in my car my alignment shop noticed a rattling noise in the front suspension when going over inconsistencies in the road, I had also noticed this for the past year but thought perhaps I was just being too picky… however after inspecting the car they said there was excess play in the bushings from the lower front control arms.

SPL sent me new bearings under warranty free of charge for the parts however the new bearings had the same amount of excess play in them as the previous bearings had. They did not cover any of the labour or the extra alignment I had to do. The new bearings did not reduce the excess play.

A few months later I got around to ordering a 2nd set of new replacement bearing, but this time at a cost Because they claimed that there was premature wear in the bearings because of how they were installed and set up during alignment, however while they may have been right about the installation and alignment, they could not have been right about the premature wear because the brand new bearings they sent me immediately had excess play in them and had not improved the situation one bit…

Again I had to pay for labour and alignment, this time the new bearings had no excess play and the rattling sound in the suspension over imperfections and the road was finally gone.

While I’m happy that the issue is solved, and I will say SPL had a quick response time and detailed information, I shouldn’t have had to pay for any new parts or in my opinion any labour considering the fault was clearly with the product and the quality control issues of the bushings themselves. That added up to a fair bit of money probably $1000 plus being just a pain in the butt waste of time and energy.

On top of that, the toe lockout for the rear of the car is not working, repeated alignments show that the rear toe is still moving from .03 degrees immediately after alignment to .3 degrees before the next alignment in only 2 months later

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 08-24-2022 at 10:47 AM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 12:39 PM   #129
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
On top of that, the toe lockout for the rear of the car is not working, repeated alignments show that the rear toe is still moving from .03 degrees immediately after alignment to .3 degrees before the next alignment in only 2 months later
I have had issues with the left rear toe link too. But not the lockout part. even at max recommended torque of the locking clamp the rod itself will self adjust. While the clamp/collar is a neat idea I'll probably end up putting jam nuts on to keep the link from adjusting under tension and compression.

As to how much the link adjusted itself... more than 4 revolutions in one day at Buttonwillow (13CW configuration). Went from toe in to toe out. But only the left side. Maybe because I was hitting the curbs harder on the left side. But it shouldn't happen.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 01:12 PM   #130
kropscamaro16

ive had my full kit on for over a year no issues or problems done about 8 or so track days going back to alignment shop friday for a check up
Old 08-24-2022, 02:19 PM   #131
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargoes View Post
I have had issues with the left rear toe link too. But not the lockout part. even at max recommended torque of the locking clamp the rod itself will self adjust. While the clamp/collar is a neat idea I'll probably end up putting jam nuts on to keep the link from adjusting under tension and compression.

As to how much the link adjusted itself... more than 4 revolutions in one day at Buttonwillow (13CW configuration). Went from toe in to toe out. But only the left side. Maybe because I was hitting the curbs harder on the left side. But it shouldn't happen.
Wow that’s a lot, yes it is my driver side rear that is the one that changes as well, Not sure why
Old 08-24-2022, 02:20 PM   #132
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
ive had my full kit on for over a year no issues or problems done about 8 or so track days going back to alignment shop friday for a check up
So you haven’t gotten an alignment in a year or between any of the eight track days?

Keep us posted, I hope you’re not shocked with what the alignment specs show
Old 08-24-2022, 03:40 PM   #133
Scargoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by spl_engineer View Post
Scargoes, if you are having issues with it holding an alignment, give me a shout and we will get it taken care of. You are right - it shouldn't be turning.
I haven't driven the car much since Solo Nationals last year(<1000miles). When I get a chance to get it on the alignment machine again I'll let you know if anything has moved.

Old 08-24-2022, 04:01 PM   #134
kropscamaro16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
So you haven’t gotten an alignment in a year or between any of the eight track days?

Keep us posted, I hope you’re not shocked with what the alignment specs show

yup alot of abuse and track days and keep getting faster and faster i dont think its too far off but well see!
Old 08-25-2022, 07:25 PM   #135
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargoes View Post

What do your camber #s look like after you found out your SPLs had "moved"

Is it possible it is actually the camber eccentrics that are not holding, causing the camber to get out of spec? Which in turn causes the toe to be out?
Old 08-25-2022, 09:09 PM   #136
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Very interested in hearing feedback as I’m about to install rear toe rods myself!
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 08:52 AM   #137
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I just had an alignment check and all is good. After installing and torqueing everything you do need to re-check after a few track days. I also have made witness marks that I can inspect to see if anything has moved.
Old 08-26-2022, 06:04 PM   #138
Scargoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
What do your camber #s look like after you found out your SPLs had "moved"

Is it possible it is actually the camber eccentrics that are not holding, causing the camber to get out of spec? Which in turn causes the toe to be out?
Camber bolts didn't move. Paint marks on both sides still lined up. Subframe wasn't deformed. New hardware was used during the installation of the toe links. New hardware is used for every alignment.

Old 09-02-2022, 07:10 PM   #139
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by spl_engineer View Post
Scargoes, if you are having issues with it holding an alignment, give me a shout and we will get it taken care of. You are right - it shouldn't be turning.
Lol where’s my help???
Old 09-03-2022, 08:51 AM   #140
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
SPL rear toe rods with eccentric lockout

Just installed them (along with solid subframe bushings) and have a couple questions before I get an alignment. Thanks in advance!

1) The kit came with a pair of bolts and nuts. Do I use them for the subframe side? The instructions state to reuse OEM bolts at both the knuckle and subframe but then I wonder, why did SPL provide these??

* My gut tells me this is an error. They’re probably issuing the same instructions for both the rod-only package and the set with lockouts.

2) Should I use jam nuts in addition to the Allen bolts? If so, what are the sizes and where can I get a set? With one side having reverse threads, I’m guessing no one local store will have hem.

3) I’ve heard concerns of squeaking in the future so I picked up a can of Amsoil HD-MP. I guess I’ll spray some on after the alignment? Anything else I should do for protection?
Attached Images

Last edited by Dabjbr; 09-03-2022 at 09:27 AM.
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote