Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 09-28-2021, 08:01 PM   #71
ariZona28

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
The first Z I looked at was an AGM. It had a few too many miles /owners for me so I passed. I was eye-balling another AGM that was going through Mecum in Oct '19 but I stumbled upon my current ride a few weeks before. Absolutely NO regrets but I've always thought the AGM cars were super-cool.
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2021, 06:41 AM   #72
RUQWIKR

Drives: 17 SS 1LE & 18 SS Hot Wheels conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Collectable? Absolutely. By the definition alone, it's low volume and no longer available so it will be highly sought after by enthusiasts for years to come.

But if by "collectable" you mean wildly valued I'm not sure sure. Are values holding? From what I see yes. But at sticker? Nope. So anyone who bought low used and has a higher value now? Awesome. But all used cars are higher in value.

Now 30 years from now when we see them at Barrett Jackson, what would they be going for? That, I think, is the nature of the question. In many cases those cars are worth much less than if you had parked the money in the stock market.......unless they are truly low volume e.g. L88 Corvettes.
Agree with this completely especially if you add in insurance costs and look at the time value of money. Buddy paid ~$45K new ($28K'ish stick if memory is correct) and sold it with low miles a year ago for $102K. Just basic time value of money says $45K in 1987 is $105K today. So, with insurance, maintenance, etc., he lost money and hardly drove / enjoyed the car other than looking at it and taking it to a few car shows.

If he had bought at the high in 1987 before the October plunge and put it in a S&P index fund, it'd be worth around $586K today, in today's dollars. Yes, you can make money by flipping certain new / newer cars, like my friend who will take delivery of a loaded 2022 GT3 in a week or two, at MSRP, and will make more than a dollar or two flipping it. The current used and new market is not going to last forever (probably will be nuts for 'x' more months or a year or so).

For me in my mid-50's, I drive all my cars with no real care about future value. Not saying I don't take care of them, I do very meticulously. I just don't loose sleep that the enjoyment of the "extra" miles I put on them lowers the value some. It's all a personal choice on what we do with our money and our vehicles. I'm the drive it and race it type of guy, not the clean it with a toothbrush and sit on a folding chair at a car show type of guy. Choose to be whatever makes you happy as life is too damn short. Plus, we will blink and all be bragging about how many kWh our electric car has too soon vs. listening to the lope of a big American V8 7.0L with a nice big fat cam in it.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 10:52 AM   #73
semif18

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE White
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
Agree with this completely especially if you add in insurance costs and look at the time value of money. Buddy paid ~$45K new ($28K'ish stick if memory is correct) and sold it with low miles a year ago for $102K. Just basic time value of money says $45K in 1987 is $105K today. So, with insurance, maintenance, etc., he lost money and hardly drove / enjoyed the car other than looking at it and taking it to a few car shows.

If he had bought at the high in 1987 before the October plunge and put it in a S&P index fund, it'd be worth around $586K today, in today's dollars. Yes, you can make money by flipping certain new / newer cars, like my friend who will take delivery of a loaded 2022 GT3 in a week or two, at MSRP, and will make more than a dollar or two flipping it. The current used and new market is not going to last forever (probably will be nuts for 'x' more months or a year or so).

For me in my mid-50's, I drive all my cars with no real care about future value. Not saying I don't take care of them, I do very meticulously. I just don't loose sleep that the enjoyment of the "extra" miles I put on them lowers the value some. It's all a personal choice on what we do with our money and our vehicles. I'm the drive it and race it type of guy, not the clean it with a toothbrush and sit on a folding chair at a car show type of guy. Choose to be whatever makes you happy as life is too damn short. Plus, we will blink and all be bragging about how many kWh our electric car has too soon vs. listening to the lope of a big American V8 7.0L with a nice big fat cam in it.
Very well said!
semif18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:01 PM   #74
dbassd

Drives: 2015 Red Hot Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by semif18 View Post
Nope that wasn't mine. Mine was AGM. I did go look at the white one on the lot and it's in really good shape for that many miles. This was my car.
Nice ride man!
dbassd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 10:26 PM   #75
Stihl

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 1 SS
Reading thru this thread, I kept thinking people were talking current bang for the buck versus future collector interest. Most collectors buy what they fondly remember or wanted from their youth. Fanboys of Demons are hung up on them, but I would not in my opinion want to invest or collect one. To each his own. I would like a Z28 now, I would consider it as a collector in the future as far as what I would buy. To each his own. How else would you explain VW vans bringing big money or Japanese cars starting to sell at auction to millennials generation people with disposable income reliving their ricer fanboy days?
Stihl is offline   Reply With Quote