Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-16-2021, 10:01 PM   #1
aa21

Drives: 2022 Chevrolet Camaro
Living with the convertible

I was wondering if I can get some reviews/opinions about your experiences in owning and daily driving a Gen 6 convertible Camaro, especially in terms of road noise with the top up, and whether or not the car can be lived with comfortably on a daily basis.
aa21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 11:03 PM   #2
mrgoodwrench
The Wicked Jester

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Vert
So...my wife and I have a pair of 2020 Convertibles - a 2SS & a 2LT/RS. Road noise around town (<50) w/ the top up or down is not a big problem. I find that once on the highway - top up is not rally an issue - top down starts to get noisy @60+ and not worth a conversation 80+. This is coming from a guy whose 2014 2SS had a full exhaust...so - that was kind of loud in its own right...

We got the convertibles to enjoy driving them w/ the top down...we purchased the plexiglass wind restrictors from one of the vendors here on this site to help with the wind...they work nice and look cool...but 80 MPH with the windows down is what it is...fun in the sun with the tunes cranked and the wind blowing around...so - pick your poison...lovin every mile!
Old Car: 2010 Camaro Inferno Orange 2LT/RS
mrgoodwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 12:49 AM   #3
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa21 View Post
I was wondering if I can get some reviews/opinions about your experiences in owning and daily driving a Gen 6 convertible Camaro, especially in terms of road noise with the top up, and whether or not the car can be lived with comfortably on a daily basis.
You're either a convertible person or you're not.

Wife has DD'd her Solara since she bought it 15 years ago. I don't daily my Camaro, but it's noticeably quieter than the Solara as long as I'm not heavy with the loud pedal with the exhaust valves open. In Tour even the Z it's a purring kitten and quieter all around vs. the Solara. Much easier to have a highway speed top-down conversation in the Camaro.

If noise is an issue...
If the occasional drip from the top during a rain is an issue...
If wind noise at highway speeds is an issue ...
If shit rear visibility with the top up is an issue...
...then you're not a convertible person.

If you're a convertible person, none of the above matters. Kinda like driving a 2 door sportscar doesn't matter in the modern SUV world. With the vert it's all about the sun, the breeze, and the roar of the engine above it all.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 06:05 AM   #4
Jonster

Drives: 18 2SS Vert Hotwheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post

Wife has DD'd her Solara since she bought it 15 years ago. I don't daily my Camaro, but it's noticeably quieter than the Solara as long as I'm not heavy with the loud pedal with the exhaust valves open. In Tour even the Z it's a purring kitten and quieter all around vs. the Solara. Much easier to have a highway speed top-down conversation in the Camaro.

If noise is an issue...
If the occasional drip from the top during a rain is an issue...
If wind noise at highway speeds is an issue ...
If shit rear visibility with the top up is an issue...
...then you're not a convertible person.

If you're a convertible person, none of the above matters. Kinda like driving a 2 door sportscar doesn't matter in the modern SUV world. With the vert it's all about the sun, the breeze, and the roar of the engine above it all.
This.

I love my Camaro and daily drive it, but it is anything but quiet compared to hard top vehicles. It doesn’t bother me because I’ll put that bad boy down the moment I can every time. If you’re looking for something that can always be down when possible, but has an option for use when not ideal (cold, rain, etc), then go for it. If what you’re looking for is the quiet of a hard top, but the luxury of open top when wanted, you’re better off with a sun roof or not using your Camaro to daily.
Old 10-17-2021, 08:27 AM   #5
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
For me, daily is relative. I drive it a lot. If it is over 45 degrees (tires) and not raining and I don’t need to transport big objects, I’m driving it, most often with the top down. That’s why I bought it. I’m at just under 39k miles in 4-1/2 years of enjoying it. I haven’t yet bought the wind restrictor. I might eventually. Or not.

I have received phone calls while tooling around top down at 80 plus. I have to raise my windows to continue the conversation, but I’ve done it and managed well. I can say that at 40 - 50 mph, top down, the person on the other end of the phone typically doesn’t know that I’m driving top down. They know I’m in a car, but don’t necessarily know it’s top down until I say something to that effect. I’ve also had conversations with my wife whenever we’re both in the car. It gets a bit more difficult at 80+ but doable. At “normal” road speeds, not an issue unless it’s really windy. Then pulling the windows up usually settles things out.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 08:40 AM   #6
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
The Camaro convertible is awesome, especially living in a climate where it doesn’t need to be put away for 5 or 6 months of the year. I just sold mine, partly because I just couldn’t put enough miles on it (up here). With that said, I’ve been a little bummed the last couple days, it’s been unseasonably warm and the car is gone. As far as noise… I just don’t see that as an issue at all. It’s part of the experience, so is the sun on your face and crackle of the exhaust. I’ll be moving down south in a few years and will be buying another one as a daily… so, yea I’m definitely a convertible person. I highly recommend the Camaro convertible…
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 11:49 PM   #7
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
I drive it almost every day, unless we're going somewhere in my wife's Yukon or taking some of the grand kids somewhere. I can take some of them in the convertible but it's pretty crowded in the back seat. I just love driving it, top up or down. When it gets really hot on a Texas afternoon, I usually have the top up. Just short of 65K miles in five+ years. Not as quiet as the Yukon but who cares.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:17 AM   #8
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
Drive mine daily with top down. I had a 5th gen also. The OEM windscreen makes a huge difference with in-cabin noise when the top is down. I can do 65+ & hold a conversation without raising my voice much at all. And with the top up, I don't feel there's much noise at all.
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:15 PM   #9
Plasar

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert M6
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
That about sums it up.
Plasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 10:46 PM   #10
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
Most of the noises the Camaro makes are the reason we have it. Its my wifes DD but we do have an Accord she drives if its raining. Not that we havnt driven it in the rain. Just that we like it enough to give it special care.
I bought winter wheels with Vredstien snows. More to drive in sub freezing temps than actual snow. Its really about the salt for me. So once the roads are full of salt it will be in the driveway wrapped up under a tarp.
I dont love the stock GY runflats. They perform well... but... They are rattly until warmed up and harsh feeling when cold. Even after warmed up I think but I have no frame of reference. PS4s are in the future.
My wife uses the stereo... but I always turn it off... so I can enjoy all the noises the car makes. Its really what the car is all about.
We love the car. Its a bit cramped. So if roominess and quiet are priorities its probably not the best choice.
We have gone to Costco with it and put a pack of TP and paper towels in the back seat. Top up. And filled the trunk with stuff. The trunk actually is pretty big with the top up.
Old 12-11-2021, 08:47 PM   #11
Yasha

Drives: 2017 2SS
Chevrolet did a phenomenal job on the gen 6 Camaro convertible, it's the quietest convertible I've ever been in or owned. If you've owned or been in another vert before, Camaro 6 is simply a class above. The top is premium cloth and it seats well against the chassis of the car, and chassis sculpting make the car honestly pretty quiet even with the top down. It's not like a 1970s roadster where the top is pretty much just polyester fabric no thicker than a painters tarps, and compared to some other cars out there Camaro 6 has an actual glass rear windshield in the soft top which doesn't crap out and become as see-through as a brick wall after a few years of ownership. I find my car to be a lot quieter than some SUVs and sedans I've been in, obviously the engine is louder but the road and wind noise significantly reduced. If I pay attention enough I can hear a sort of whoosh-whoosh noise especially at high speeds depending on how well the top seated last time I put it up, I probably need to condition the rubber seals but I barely notice in the first place and it has never bothered me.

As a daily driver nothing about the soft top detracts from my ability to use my car. For me the top is down 99% of the time weather permitting. I have never noticed water drips if they even happen - and if they did, well, I just don't really care because I like the vert too much. Stick a towel under the passenger seat just in case you find yourself with a girlfriend or mom who does notice a drip. Keeps you on top of it and you can tell them that's what the space under the seat is for . As for any "big gaping awful blind spots" you find, trust that you will get used to it.

In some ways the vert is honestly bigger than the hard top like when you can't get a friend with an SUV to help you pick up a 60" television - bring blankets, drop the top, fits in the back seat sticking out over the trunk. Not that it matters much because you aren't buying a Camaro for it's amazing potential for storage, are you? Regardless she's bigger than she looks, the trunk fits luggage for two and with the right bags, it fits even with the top down. The seats are extremely comfortable and I have found the girlfriend will sit happily for 10 hours on a road trip which, while you just asked about the vert top, I feel I have to mention because it's so hard to find a car that is this comfortable. Car is also awesome at a drive in movie. In terms of handling it is better than a hard top car when you put the soft top down because you drop the center of balance.

Now I suppose you should take all this with a grain of salt because everyone is different. I am a convertible guy and I drive my 6MT 2SS convertible every day. At the same time I could refer you to at least a dozen friends and family who would absolutely disagree with what I'm saying. However to me this is my car and I use it as such. I will sooner replace the engine than replace the car and even when I add to the collection in the future I doubt I will ever purchase a hard top car again in my life. I don't even understand the point. Hope my love story helps add some perspective.
Yasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 08:48 AM   #12
Weege

Drives: 2017 2SS convertible M6, NPP, MRC
Those are very impressive positive remarks, especially:" the girlfriend will sit happily for 10 hours on a road trip". There's the real keeper...
No atmosphere.
Weege is offline   Reply With Quote