Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

AWE Tuning

Old 10-19-2021, 01:54 PM   #1
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Smokin' the 19' ZL1

Just finalized the build on my ZL1. Now the wait in line for parts and start of build. What my list is so far, not going to list all the incidental parts. The shop is called Top Speed Cincy and owned by Blake. This is the same shop as WeaponX but, they longer do builds. Blake ran the shop before and decided two years ago to lease the shop and start on his own. He also does all the ECM / TCM tuning, done on a Mustang dyno. See many high end Corvette and Camaro builds going on in shop. Weapon X is still in business at the same location, just not doing builds anymore.

Kong X port
NW 103
BTR cam stg. II 38% fuel lobe, (lift/ dur ?)
ATI balancer
DOD delete kit
.660" platinum springs, titanium retainers, chrome moly rods, Johnson lifters
WMX triple ht ex (3 up front)
WMX 5" intake
MM catch can
DSX lowside pump
2" Kooks 3" green cats out to 3" X-exhaust to stock muffler (wife doesn't like stink)
Lower pully
Ecm/Tcm tune

Pic from where the build starts. Only did cosmetic changes the first 3 years of ownership.
Attached Images

BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:05 PM   #2
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
What numbers are you shooting for?
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:27 PM   #3
Smokin19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
What numbers are you shooting for?
I am not shooting for any particular number and would rather not try to squeeze every last digit. I think it will fall somewhere in the 700-750 rwhp range. Like I have said, I don't track anymore, just a safe strong build for the street. I like to take short trips and another reason for the stg.ll cam. Should still have a nice chop.

Blake said, "this will be his first build using the Kong X port". He has tuned other Kong porting but, not the X, so he is curious also. Mustang dynos are also known as heart breakers for those chasing numbers.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:52 AM   #4
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

I'm not a fan of porting these LT4 blowers. But I would like to see how it comes out. I think 700s are doable. And it should be a really good street car. Plus in the future if (when, lol) you want more then you can upgrade the blower. But at least this way, porting the blower, you get to see how well you'll like it.

Just curious, since you're already gonna have everything off, why not just go ahead and get some ported heads? That way the only weak link will be the blower. If there is any time to do it then that's now. The manifolds, blower, and cam will all be removed. Just a few more bolts and get those heads replaced with better flowing units!!
Old 10-20-2021, 02:40 PM   #5
Smokin19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I'm not a fan of porting these LT4 blowers. But I would like to see how it comes out. I think 700s are doable. And it should be a really good street car. Plus in the future if (when, lol) you want more then you can upgrade the blower. But at least this way, porting the blower, you get to see how well you'll like it.

Just curious, since you're already gonna have everything off, why not just go ahead and get some ported heads? That way the only weak link will be the blower. If there is any time to do it then that's now. The manifolds, blower, and cam will all be removed. Just a few more bolts and get those heads replaced with better flowing units!!
Right now it's all the green I want to spend, I don't have to tell you the cost, you know. I would just as soon done just a cam but then as you know without supporting components it really would have been a waste. We talked about the heads and Blake's experience with ported heads. Came down to quite a bit more money to gain maybe 15-20 hp. The stock heads flow plenty good for the build I am doing. Again not chasing the highest number but, solid reliability. I have no plans to go any further.

On a side note just came back from a run out thru the countryside where I live. It's all twist, turns and hills with new pavement and NO traffic at all this time of day, even on a busy day a couple cars at the most. You could run100 miles and never run the same road. It's almost like your own personal track, nothing but a few big farms. Point is, even with wide open spaces still cannot use all it's got now. Love that A10 in track mode!
Old 10-23-2021, 04:03 PM   #6
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin19 View Post
Right now it's all the green I want to spend, I don't have to tell you the cost, you know. I would just as soon done just a cam but then as you know without supporting components it really would have been a waste. We talked about the heads and Blake's experience with ported heads. Came down to quite a bit more money to gain maybe 15-20 hp. The stock heads flow plenty good for the build I am doing. Again not chasing the highest number but, solid reliability. I have no plans to go any further.

On a side note just came back from a run out thru the countryside where I live. It's all twist, turns and hills with new pavement and NO traffic at all this time of day, even on a busy day a couple cars at the most. You could run100 miles and never run the same road. It's almost like your own personal track, nothing but a few big farms. Point is, even with wide open spaces still cannot use all it's got now. Love that A10 in track mode!
I went over my budget but not by too much. It was all stuff that I was going to do at some point so I just figured I might as well do now. I still need to do a few more things tho. Tires and a gauge or set of gauges for starters. And eventually I might want to try to squeeze a bit more out of it. Maybe meth injection. I'm sure my setup is good for 900+ to the wheels on meth. In about a year or two I'll start trying to get there!!

And yea you can always do more to your setup in the future. Ported heads are not cheap, lol!! I think it ran me an extra $1000 for the porting by TSP. The PRC aftermarket heads would have ran an extra $2800. And none of it is really needed unless you plan to go further in the future. But at 700+ thru the A10 I am sure you'll be satisfied.
Old 02-16-2022, 02:18 PM   #7
Smokin19

Finally the start of my build, taking the engine out.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2022, 04:25 PM   #8
Smokin19

More pics of disassembly. Engine has 10 k on it.
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2022, 06:43 AM   #9
Smokin19

Engine back in and car should be ready for startup maybe next week. Of course added some more parts to the build. Had my builder put in BMR lockout and new Z26 brake pads, tired of cleaning brake dust. Few more pics.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2022, 06:34 AM   #10
Smokin19

Finally completed the build I have always wanted and it has exceeded all my expectations.

Started with just stock tune and rotofab intake (A10). Blake Leonard started Top Speed Cincy about 4 years ago after working for WeaponX. WeaponX quit building engines. It is the same shop with a Mustang dyno but, Blake owns the shop now. Here is the build which was my want list.

Stg II btr cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, .660" lift Platinum spring kit, Titanium retainers,
chrommoly push rods.
STOCK heads and vlvs
GM Gen V cam bolt
WT Camshaft bolt
DSX low side kit
NW 103
Rotofab big gulp
2" ARH into 3" with cats, stock muffler
Weapon X triple ht exchangers
MM cc
Kong X port
IW V3 ZL1 8-ribbalancer w/ Metco ring
BTR GEN V/ afm delete kit
BTR Gen V VVT lockout
ARP head studs, Johnson lifters
ARP LT-4 crank bolt
TCM tune

Incedentals:
Z26 brake pads
BMR Lockout kit
AMP billet thermostat housing with 160 stat
Brisk RR 12S Plugs

On a Mustang loaded dyno it pulled 720 rwhp, 634 lbs tq, 15 psi boost, 7th gear pull