#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 09-29-2021, 01:10 PM   #323
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjw View Post
Let’s bring up an old thread, I’m being told that ptm race does not have enough traction control to keep on from spinning on corner exit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
all the throttle control in the world won't save the rear end if the LSD locks up too quickly. Countersteer will, though, if you haven't let it get too deep.

For reference, here's an example of me spinning on track in PTM Race due to trying to apply throttle earlier when exiting this corner than on previous laps then lifting after oversteer starts and getting on the brakes. I probably could have caught the slide without overcorrecting if I had maintained about the same amount of throttle during the oversteer or decreased it just slightly instead of lifting:
https://youtu.be/RV_zyaz9ORg

And here's someone spinning in PTM Race where you can see the traction control light never blinks because the oversteer happened while the driver was trail braking:
https://youtu.be/quW3wA88f-c&t=45s

Here is an example of someone else spinning on track in PTM Sport 2:
https://youtu.be/Qo6I0KkQmv4&t=1m8s

It may be possible to spin with all 4 wheels on pavement in PTM Sport 1 too but probably less likely. This person spun in Sport 1 but it looks like it was caused by dropping a wheel partly into the grass on corner exit:
https://youtu.be/WagmKKz3UwY&t=10m42s

There's also an autocross calibration available to buy for the eDiff that the dealership can flash onto your car but I believe it kicks you out of B street class and into CAM-C in SCCA autocross.
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=579951
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549151
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532096

Last edited by cdrptrks; 09-29-2021 at 03:21 PM.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 01:15 PM   #324
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I think if you're used to driving with all systems off (my background) even PTM race is easy to manage. I do have to throw in 100+ degrees of counter steer every so often, but I can stay on the throttle and just manage the side slip with steering.

I like PTM race, doesn't neuter the car much at all. I am a bit faster in PTM race than in Sport 2. Fractions of a second, but still.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 02:24 PM   #325
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
I think if you're used to driving with all systems off (my background) even PTM race is easy to manage. I do have to throw in 100+ degrees of counter steer every so often, but I can stay on the throttle and just manage the side slip with steering.

I like PTM race, doesn't neuter the car much at all. I am a bit faster in PTM race than in Sport 2. Fractions of a second, but still.
Same for me in autocross. Race about a tenth or two faster then sport 2. Nannies off about .25 faster then race in the morning, race faster then nannies off in the heat of the afternoon.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 02:43 PM   #326
5.M0NSTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Same for me in autocross. Race about a tenth or two faster then sport 2. Nannies off about .25 faster then race in the morning, race faster then nannies off in the heat of the afternoon.
Good tip about going full off. I haven't tried that yet in this car. Only 2 track days in the dry so far. Good goal for next season!
Old 09-29-2021, 03:28 PM   #327
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Good tip about going full off. I haven't tried that yet in this car. Only 2 track days in the dry so far. Good goal for next season!
What I have found all year with all the testing to see what I like. Always variations but basically what I have found. Cooler temps in morning all off in sport is pretty controlled, but in the heat the car is more loose and slower in nannies off. That’s with a low grip surface.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 05:51 PM   #328
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
There's also an autocross calibration available to buy for the eDiff that the dealership can flash onto your car but I believe it kicks you out of B street class and into CAM-C in SCCA autocross.
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=579951
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549151
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532096
Yep, for now you cannot be in Street class (even if we move to F Street next year) with the updated eLSD calibration. There's a chance that could change - there's a proposal being considered - but probably not a very good chance.
Old 10-09-2021, 06:38 PM   #329
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
I know the throttle issue has been discussed before, including the part about changes made following RPs feedback. So what do you mean by Track throttle is "more progressive"? I thought Track was the most linear mapping (20% pedal = 20% throttle, 40% = 40%) of the 3 modes. Is that the case?
Yep, progressive as in linear mapping. Well said. Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 07:31 PM   #330
egslaw

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE
Is there anyway to confirm which mode you're in (Wet/dry/S1/S2/R)?

Every time I select a drive mode and then go back in, it's back at WET. I just want to be sure I'm in the right mode. Also, does this sound right? every time you press the ESC button it goes back to WET?

Thank you to anyone who can answer.

Quote:
I would guess so, but not sure. Mine is a 6 Speed manual.

You can find out pretty easy. Go into Track mode, and push the Traction button twice within 1-2s. You don't want to double click, just push, and push again. If you see PTM display in the guage central screen with options for Wet, Dry, Sport 1, Sport 2 and RACE, you got them all.
egslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:15 PM   #331
5.M0NSTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by egslaw View Post

Every time I select a drive mode and then go back in, it's back at WET. I just want to be sure I'm in the right mode. Also, does this sound right? every time you press the ESC button it goes back to WET?

Not sure if there is a way to confirm which PTM mode you're currently in, but to lock in the right mode use the mode up/down button on the center console, and then press the SEL button on the right side of the steering wheel to enter it.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-10-2022, 01:49 AM   #332
MakCamaro
Makis

Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
Quote:
Not sure if there is a way to confirm which PTM mode you're currently in, but to lock in the right mode use the mode up/down button on the center console, and then press the SEL button on the right side of the steering wheel to enter it.

Hope this helps.
To lock in the right mode, simply use the mode up/down button on the center console. There is no need to press the SEL button on the right side of the steering wheel to enter it. If I recall correctly this has been discussed earlier in this thread.
Old 05-10-2022, 04:12 PM   #333
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
My experience is that once you are in PTM mode, you change modes (wet,dry,S1,S2,Race) by just pressing up or down on the mode select button on the center console. As MakCamaro says, no need to press the select button on the steering wheel.

The DIC will show which PTM mode you are choosing by highlighting your selected mode in in the stacked list. However, once the mode is selected, the PTM display disappears in the DIC. To get it back again, just press up or down on the mode select button on the center console.

And NO, it isn't normal for it to jump to WET each time you toggle 1 up or 1 down from your previous PTM mode (unless of course you were in RACE and then toggle down on the mode select button).
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 04:42 PM   #334
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post

It may be possible to spin with all 4 wheels on pavement in PTM Sport 1 too but probably less likely. This person spun in Sport 1 but it looks like it was caused by dropping a wheel partly into the grass on corner exit:
https://youtu.be/WagmKKz3UwY&t=10m42s
It most definitely IS possible to spin in Sport 1 with all 4 wheels on the asphalt in dry conditions on OEM SC3s. I've managed to do it twice so far under trail braking, and I suspect the cause was a bit too abrupt final release of the brake pedal when near the apex (lots of steering dialed in).

The first time was VIR turn 3, where the induced rotation was beautifully slow and the ECS intervened to catch the rear (successfully) right as I was about to add some counter steer. If I hadn't mentally paused to admire the rotation I had induced, I probably could have added some throttle while opening the wheel to settle the rear and the ECS may not have even intervened.

The second time was at VIR turn 4, where the induced rotation was much faster. This was under aggressive trail braking (where I recorded 1.5 lateral G while still having some longitudonal G from slowing the car). The ECS started trying to catch the rear about 1/4 second before I added opposite steering lock. I overcorrected slightly, but without the countersteer, I do not believe the ECS would have successfully caught the rear, as the yaw rate was quite high.

Word to the wise: When you start practicing and playing with trail braking, be prepared for oversteer and do not assume that ECS will save you, even in PTM Sport 1.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 06:03 PM   #335
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
It most definitely IS possible to spin in Sport 1 with all 4 wheels on the asphalt in dry conditions on OEM SC3s. I've managed to do it twice so far under trail braking, and I suspect the cause was a bit too abrupt final release of the brake pedal when near the apex (lots of steering dialed in).
I recently found this AMP video where the driver spins in Sport 1. It was 40 degrees outside and happened on his out lap. It was on a corner that is known for causing oversteer on exit due to the camber changing even when the track and tires are warmer. He appears to be new to track days so take his explanations with a grain of salt.

It starts around the 4 minute 32 second mark.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 07:18 PM   #336
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by egslaw View Post

Firstly, when you turn the ignition off, the car will go back to std settings. And when you start it up, it will go into std settings, which are quite conservative and designed for street driving.

When you pick a PTM choice, the latter lights up on the display and stays there until you turn the iginition off, or push one of the button which toggles between PTM choices.

So, I suspect, you somehow manage to drop the car in PTM Wet, by pressing the button.

Hope this helps. Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote