#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 11-21-2018, 12:49 PM   #71
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargoes View Post
I'm sticking by my previous mention, This is an electrical problem. Damage to wiring, sloppy CAI install, AFR on dyno sheet is wonky (18:1 from 3-4 k rpm then slowly climbing to about 11:1 at 6100 rpm). The three things I'd verify first are that the proper tune was installed with the CAI(GM did say that the change in MAF location effects the vehicle and needs a new tune), make sure the wires in the connector are not damaged and check the terminals in the connector to make sure they aren't deformed, Check the MAF with a known good one if possible.

A plugged cat, unless it's a secondary cat, should set off a MIL. I don't think a plugged cat nor low compression would make the AFR vary so drastically and in the exact same pattern for 3 dyno pulls.
Tim should be at another dyno now. I'll be there in probably an hour, and another 1LE will be there as well (he has the GM intake as well where mine is stock).

We should have some comparative data this afternoon/evening.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:29 PM   #72
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Tim should be at another dyno now. I'll be there in probably an hour, and another 1LE will be there as well (he has the GM intake as well where mine is stock).

We should have some comparative data this afternoon/evening.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:35 PM   #73
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
This might be alot to ask, but perhaps you can "borrow" the MAF of the other cai 1LE and at least eliminate a defective MAF as the issue ( or confirm)
Old 11-21-2018, 04:19 PM   #74
Dave-ROR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
This might be alot to ask, but perhaps you can "borrow" the MAF of the other cai 1LE and at least eliminate a defective MAF as the issue ( or confirm)
I planned to try that (in reverse order since his car was on the rollers about 1-2 hours before Mike and I got there) but his wife drove the 1LE and had left before we arrived (Tim and his son drove their project car up as well for some pulls). Tim has also ordered a new MAF to eliminate that variable as well.

I'll let Tim post the overlay graph if he wants to.. but the difference is pretty remarkable. Mike and my car made basically the same peak numbers, my car made a little more under the curve. Both of our cars had very smooth bands (to be clear, smoothing was set to 5 in WinPEP). Tim's car was all over the place.

The biggest piece of data we learned was that his AFR is very off. This dyno showed it at less than 10:1 for most of the pull. For comparison, my car was right at 12:1 and Mike's was ~11.5:1.

Next step is going to be some road testing with a datalogger. I do wonder if Tim's secondary cat's are screwed up - I don't think that would show a code while primary cat issues should. Otherwise, some sensor has to be misreading. Ideally my scantool can log values on both of our cars around the same route and we can see if there are any crazy anomalies.

This is a different dyno than his last one, but for reference my car made 404/405 SAE.

Edit: Also worth noting, Mike's MAF alignment was WAY off.. so the theory that MAF alignment is causing any significant issue is invalid - for his car anyways. Granted, Mike will also be fixing his, but it's certainly not responsible for Tim's issue.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:30 PM   #75
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Big kudos to Mike and Dave for offering to put their 1LE's on the heartbreakers (dyno rollers).

Very impressed the LT1's put down SAE corrected 400 WHP stock!

Mine not so much - down 80 WHP and 69 WTQ from a healthy one.

Mine would be the lower curves.

Dyno chart of my car runs...(note this is prior to applying the SAE correction factor):

Note: all three cars used the same process:
- 2000-6500 rpm
- 4th gear
- Track Mode / no traction control
- AFR probe install in the open butterfly/outside tail pipe
- cold tire pressure 32 psi

Interesting to look at the Mustang dyno visit ~350 WHP with AFR's hitting a low of 11.8's or so. Another 500 miles passes on a more optimistic dyno (Dynojet)...power appears to drop further with AFR's now in the 9's.

One could surmise that something is wrong and getting worse.

Also noted that with that kind of AFR, black smoke should be evident...but none was obvious.

Again thanks to the fellow 1LE owners for taking time to provide some good data points. The cars sure sound good at WOT!

Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:44 PM   #76
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
so does ramsey have any ideas?
Old 11-22-2018, 08:38 AM   #77
RobbyBeefcake87

Dyno testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Big kudos to Mike and Dave for offering to put their 1LE's on the heartbreakers (dyno rollers).

Very impressed the LT1's put down SAE corrected 400 WHP stock!

Mine not so much - down 80 WHP and 69 WTQ from a healthy one.

Mine would be the lower curves.

Dyno chart of my car runs...(note this is prior to applying the SAE correction factor):

Note: all three cars used the same process:
- 2000-6500 rpm
- 4th gear
- Track Mode / no traction control
- AFR probe install in the open butterfly/outside tail pipe
- cold tire pressure 32 psi

Interesting to look at the Mustang dyno visit ~350 WHP with AFR's hitting a low of 11.8's or so. Another 500 miles passes on a more optimistic dyno (Dynojet)...power appears to drop further with AFR's now in the 9's.

One could surmise that something is wrong and getting worse.

Also noted that with that kind of AFR, black smoke should be evident...but none was obvious.

Again thanks to the fellow 1LE owners for taking time to provide some good data points. The cars sure sound good at WOT!

Just out of curiosity, I'm in the same area and also have a 1le. Where is this shop and how much is it for a dyno reading?
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:48 AM   #78
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post

Just out of curiosity, I'm in the same area and also have a 1le. Where is this shop and how much is it for a dyno reading?
lol

Last pic has the front of the shop in the background.
Sign on the building says... Ramsey's Performance and the phone number 813-909-2600.

Searched on google and got....

Ramsey's Performance
17110 U.S. 41 N
Lutz, FL 33549

Old 11-22-2018, 01:32 PM   #79
Tim M

$80 for 3-4 runs. Well run shop I'd return to. No nonsense and did what you asked. They specialize in Fords so took a bit to figure out how to strap down the Camaro. Quick now after 3 cars!

I didn't ask Dennis to diagnose (not what the appt was for) although I did ask him for ideas. He mentioned it appeared the car was in catalytic converter safe mode due to the extreme richness of the AFR.
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:47 PM   #80
RobbyBeefcake87

Dyno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
lol

Last pic has the front of the shop in the background.
Sign on the building says... Ramsey's Performance and the phone number 813-909-2600.

Searched on google and got....

Ramsey's Performance
17110 U.S. 41 N
Lutz, FL 33549

Noticed literally right after posting lol
Old 11-22-2018, 01:51 PM   #81
RobbyBeefcake87

Dyno testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
$80 for 3-4 runs. Well run shop I'd return to. No nonsense and did what you asked. They specialize in Fords so took a bit to figure out how to strap down the Camaro. Quick now after 3 cars!

I didn't ask Dennis to diagnose (not what the appt was for) although I did ask him for ideas. He mentioned it appeared the car was in catalytic converter safe mode due to the extreme richness of the AFR.
Thanks for the info, wish I would have done a dyno pull when I first got the car to see any (if any, positive or negative) effects the cai had.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:36 PM   #82
Dave-ROR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
Thanks for the info, wish I would have done a dyno pull when I first got the car to see any (if any, positive or negative) effects the cai had.
Not real useful... but my stock car made more power than Mike's with the CAI and an MBRP exhaust....

With a real tune, not the GM one, I'd expect a power increase could be made..

Too many cars.. never.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:44 PM   #83
RobbyBeefcake87

Dyno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Not real useful... but my stock car made more power than Mike's with the CAI and an MBRP exhaust....

With a real tune, not the GM one, I'd expect a power increase could be made..
I get you and noticed that as well, but it would still be cool to have seen the effect on the same car.

Seems like a question that's been asked a lot related to the gm cai with the tune (as well as most most cai) but not many have had a good before after on the same car.

There was also a guy on here claiming he made 424/430 after the cai and tune. Different car different dyno though and I don't believe he had a before to compare it to.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:13 PM   #84
failedwittyreference

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Got my 1LE with low mileage, and the previous owner had the GM CAI installed, now you all have got me paranoid.
failedwittyreference is offline   Reply With Quote