Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 12-07-2021, 08:16 AM   #197
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Or wear brown pants

I can see limits by gear on what I'm working with. 1st and 3rd pulled TQ down more than the other gears if I recall. My HPT TQ curve looks funny because of that, I think. If I didn't shape this way, I'd either get throttle issues, or TMA. Now - I can use the exact VVE table, and add 100+ TQ, and not get any TB or TMA issues. To me - this TCM-mod' is worth it.

I've see calibrators say that 1740 will punch way harder at lower RPMs than a larger blower, like you said. It will punch from a dig way harder than a 2650. I couldn't turn-up mine before upgrading, so I'm guessing those guys (and you) are right; I have no reason to believe it.
As per our PM I found a A10 TCM file to look at and there definitely is a lot less parameters then the A8. Significantly less stuff in the Torque Management section and there are also no shift time, inertia, or pressure by gear parameters. So these A10's imo look to be much easier to tune then the A8's. Since the A10 is much more aggressive and optimized from the factory compared to the A8 it's likely not a big deal. If you could disable the throttle limit as we talked about earlier then I could be content with the stock A10 tune. That is the only downfall I see with the stock tune.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:21 AM   #198
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
As per our PM I found a A10 TCM file to look at and there definitely is a lot less parameters then the A8. Significantly less stuff in the Torque Management section and there are also no shift time, inertia, or pressure by gear parameters. So these A10's imo look to be much easier to tune then the A8's. Since the A10 is much more aggressive and optimized from the factory compared to the A8 it's likely not a big deal. If you could disable the throttle limit as we talked about earlier then I could be content with the stock A10 tune. That is the only downfall I see with the stock tune.
Thanks, again, for all the information you've shared. It's such a big help It's surprising to me that, as you've pointed out, that A10s seem simpler to tune. It seems counterintuitive to me, but whatever. There more that's there, the more I can screw up, lol.

I know I'd been able to spin the tires on the 3-4 shift (which is around 80 MPH) with the T93, on DRs, by just playing with the VVE/VTT. I had to kill part of his VTT because of the T93, so I'm interested in seeing what he feels like getting that torque back with the new TCM. I know it's only going to make what it's going to make, but not having limits is a lot more encouraging. I just have to be careful on street tires at his mediocre power now. What I'd like to do some time is dyno the car with the two tunes (with differing torque) and see if there's any difference. Some people say as long as spark/throttle don't limit, it will make the same power. It FEELS like there is a difference to me though. Maybe placebo... Probably. I feel better this TCM is doing what I'm commanding (right or wrong) and at least he's not limited now. The 2650 doesn't hit as hard as the 1740, but that's probably a good thing for me.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 09:39 AM   #199
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Thanks, again, for all the information you've shared. It's such a big help It's surprising to me that, as you've pointed out, that A10s seem simpler to tune. It seems counterintuitive to me, but whatever. There more that's there, the more I can screw up, lol.

I know I'd been able to spin the tires on the 3-4 shift (which is around 80 MPH) with the T93, on DRs, by just playing with the VVE/VTT. I had to kill part of his VTT because of the T93, so I'm interested in seeing what he feels like getting that torque back with the new TCM. I know it's only going to make what it's going to make, but not having limits is a lot more encouraging. I just have to be careful on street tires at his mediocre power now. What I'd like to do some time is dyno the car with the two tunes (with differing torque) and see if there's any difference. Some people say as long as spark/throttle don't limit, it will make the same power. It FEELS like there is a difference to me though. Maybe placebo... Probably. I feel better this TCM is doing what I'm commanding (right or wrong) and at least he's not limited now. The 2650 doesn't hit as hard as the 1740, but that's probably a good thing for me.
No problem...just like to help inform others even when it tends to fall on deaf ears at times.

Here are 2 screen shots from a 50 roll in 3rd gear. You will see that the throttle still isn't fully open yet by 6400rpm. Now a stock car isn't quite as bad but as you try to make more power it gets worse because you are hitting the torque limit per gear in the TCM side sooner, so the throttle closes more to stay within a preset amount of Torque. And this is just a Headers, CAI, Flex sensor car.

I'll attach a screen shot of a TCM file I found on HPt showing which table is the culprit.
Attached Images

Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 12:02 PM   #200
radz28
Petro-sexual

Yup. I saw about the same thing.

I had seen enough throttle closure/TMA I just started pulling torque down low until it went away. After swapping TCMs, and removing everything you'd told me (and a couple other things) months ago, I raised my VTT back up, and got NO closure/TMA. It was all limited (as far as I'm seeing) by the TCM. I wouldn't pretend that my VVE is perfect (~5-10% depending on day and conditions) and my DD tables couldn't use a little polishing (they're pretty close in my logs), but they're aren't far off enough to cause what I'm seeing, because I didn't change them at all, and I am commanding A LOT more TQ now. I couldn't even run stock VTT in those areas.

What I didn't realize, until I started looking at the TCM tunes, was that I would usually do my pulls in 3rd, I'd get a lot more throttle/TMA BS, but when I'd pull in 4th, there was almost none. It wasn't until seeing 3rd-gear limits were lower than I realized I really needed a TCM tune. Now - with that gear TQ limit table max'd, I don't see anything trying to cut power.

I don't regret this purchase. I might have liked it as much as adding the 2650 actually.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 12-16-2021, 08:43 AM   #201
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Also tuning the TCM for the ability to launch in second gear can be beneficial is many situations...especially on the street. Imo if you can tune the TCM, then tune the TCM if you are tuning the ECU.
Finally installed my TCM, but I thought it was more accessible than it turned out to be. I have a street tune and track tune w/2nd gear launch. It never occurred to me that I might use the 2nd gear launch tune on the street, but I'll get it a try. I believe my tuner, Dinosaur Juice, said he's got cars running 1.30/1.40's 60 ft., so we'll see how my car runs next spring.
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 12:55 PM   #202
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Bringing this back from the way dead lol, getting my trans tuned this weekend. Since it's been a few years since this came out, how is everyone that has had it done liking it so far?
Old 03-21-2024, 02:16 PM   #203
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
Bringing this back from the way dead lol, getting my trans tuned this weekend. Since it's been a few years since this came out, how is everyone that has had it done liking it so far?
I got a basic calibration performed with the T87a-conversion, and then I played with it more after the big definition update was released about a year after that. I then sent my MY T93 to get unlocked, and flashed the same tune back into it.

The latest definition update (I think it was nearing a year-and-a-half ago) added a few more dials to turn that weren't ground breaking. It did allow a little more options to dial it in more to the individual's preferences, but nothing was too ground breaking. I think the biggest one was adjustment of the shift pressures and overall line pressure (or it was the TCC pressure...). It was minor, but I made some use of it.

The biggest benefit you'll get is being able to control TM better. I think it was the 2-3 shift that was the worst. I feel like I can hear it in the Escalade V-videos, too. I swear I can hear it fall on it's face around 60 MPH, right where I used to have that issue. TM was so bad it was taking all the power out. MINIMUM SPARK, in the E92, helped a bit, but I had to mess with VTT a lot to try to minimize it.

I suggest to anyone to do it. I'd go with someone who will calibrate it the way you want it. Some guys don't like being told what to do, but the guys you see posting here most often, I believe, will help you through whatever you're looking for.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 03-21-2024, 02:28 PM   #204
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
I got a basic calibration performed with the T87a-conversion, and then I played with it more after the big definition update was released about a year after that. I then sent my MY T93 to get unlocked, and flashed the same tune back into it.

The latest definition update (I think it was nearing a year-and-a-half ago) added a few more dials to turn that weren't ground breaking. It did allow a little more options to dial it in more to the individual's preferences, but nothing was too ground breaking. I think the biggest one was adjustment of the shift pressures and overall line pressure (or it was the TCC pressure...). It was minor, but I made some use of it.

The biggest benefit you'll get is being able to control TM better. I think it was the 2-3 shift that was the worst. I feel like I can hear it in the Escalade V-videos, too. I swear I can hear it fall on it's face around 60 MPH, right where I used to have that issue. TM was so bad it was taking all the power out. MINIMUM SPARK, in the E92, helped a bit, but I had to mess with VTT a lot to try to minimize it.

I suggest to anyone to do it. I'd go with someone who will calibrate it the way you want it. Some guys don't like being told what to do, but the guys you see posting here most often, I believe, will help you through whatever you're looking for.
Awesome radz, as usual great insight.
Old 03-21-2024, 03:47 PM   #205
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
The latest Beta has A LOT more parameters for the 10 Speed Transmission. Especially the shift timing and Inertia tables.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM   #206
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
I believe mine has a tuned T87a but I'm not 100% sure because Houston House of Power's invoices says, Modified TCM for T93 Camaro
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 06:39 PM   #207
NicKey

Drives: Nickey Super Camaro
All of the A10 ZL1 transmissions/TCMs are currently tunable.
NicKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 05:20 AM   #208
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicKey View Post
Not true. Once you have it unlocked by HPTuners, they are very tunable. I just did one yesterday.
Old 03-22-2024, 07:44 AM   #209
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
Not true. Once you have it unlocked by HPTuners, they are very tunable. I just did one yesterday.
You guys are saying the same thing

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 07:44 AM   #210
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
Jason, I think you misread NicKey’s post lol. You’re saying the same thing.