Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 01-16-2021, 11:31 PM   #29
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
Obviously he's completely comfortable in that position, the most important part is his feet can reach and operate the three pedals, so his lower body/seat is in the correct position, yes he probably could lean up a few inches, but it's his car, who wants to sit over a steering wheel like a 75 year old grandmother? ZL1, Z06,ZR1,Z28 I never noticed anyone sitting over the wheel(Good way to get black eyes from the air bag). If you can fit your kids,etc that's wonderful. I'm 6'4 260 plus, if my wife or my tall sons are not on the passenger side, it's my gym bag, subcompact XD40 in the passenger seat, And my Springfield saint AR pistol in the back !
Revalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 01:44 AM   #30
Yves ZL1

Drives: Canadian 2019 BLACK ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostMeUp View Post
Wow didn't realize they were that small! I figured they would be similar to the 97 Z28 I had back in highschool. I will have to try to check one out this summer to see if it will work for us!
Rear seats Are perfect for children.. but no more lol
Yves ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:44 AM   #31
Bowman_ZL1

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
My son is 14 and 6ft tall. No way he’s fitting in my back seat. If they’re over 5ft tall, it’s not happening. It’s basically a 2 seater car.
Bowman_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:59 AM   #32
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 a10
Quote:
This reminds me, do these cars have issues with the front tires throwing rocks and rubble right into the rear fender like the C6 Z06 and ZR1? Are your extended side skirts to protect against that? I found this out the hard way on my Z06, took it out too early one year and returned home with nice rock blasted rear fenders
I added the ACS composite rock guards.. Perfect fit, look great, and protect the car. I also had ppf added. I heard some people mentioning that with the zl1addons the rock guards on a zl1 leave a little bit of a gap?
willzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:21 AM   #33
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
I would suggest PPF as well as rock guards for sure for paint protection.
Rear seats, yeah not much room but I do take my daughter and niece out and they sit in the back. They are 5’ and 5’2. They have never complained and have never denied a ride in the car .
I wonder why🤔
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:22 AM   #34
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revalot View Post
Obviously he's completely comfortable in that position, the most important part is his feet can reach and operate the three pedals, so his lower body/seat is in the correct position, yes he probably could lean up a few inches, but it's his car, who wants to sit over a steering wheel like a 75 year old grandmother? ZL1, Z06,ZR1,Z28 I never noticed anyone sitting over the wheel(Good way to get black eyes from the air bag). If you can fit your kids,etc that's wonderful. I'm 6'4 260 plus, if my wife or my tall sons are not on the passenger side, it's my gym bag, subcompact XD40 in the passenger seat, And my Springfield saint AR pistol in the back !
I agree with you Revalot that he is comfortable driving his ZL1 in that position so he shouldn’t be criticized. The days of cars having non adjustable seat backs have been long gone because all body types and shapes are different. I remember when you couldn’t adjust the seat back and you would be sitting straight up and usually over the steering wheel and was glad the car makers started building vehicles with fully adjustable seats in the front.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:26 AM   #35
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
And on the subject of years of ZL1s to buy I would suggest a 2019 thru the present mainly because of the oil pump issues of the 2017s and 2018s. My 2017 is good to good so far with almost 17,000 miles so maybe and hopefully mine won’t have that issue.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:28 AM   #36
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
I would avoid pre '19 because of the oil pump issue, plus '19 saw the refresh with some minor upgrades. 2021 models (certain months of manufacture) have valve spring issues https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/09...gm-v8-engines/ after covid hit several manufacturers had parts supply chain problems

Get a '19 or early '20 is my advice, or wait for '22

My mom was just fine in the back seat

Last edited by ZX-10R; 01-17-2021 at 09:28 PM.
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:40 AM   #37
Eham

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE
I didnt know about the valve spring issue. Mine was built in November so hopefully no issues.
Eham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:08 PM   #38
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
ok, my turn, LOL..... I bought a 19 without a choice. Luck I guess. Here's what I like and dislike and would do. First the disclaimer. I drive this car daily about 100 miles a day, mostly (80%) highway, touring.
The A10, Absolutely unreal tranny, the best ever to date. Can't rave enough about it. No paddles needed. The tranny does it all in too good of fashion.
The Adj. Susp, also nothing short of awesome.
Power, passing people is with ease.
Seats for 4 people. I live in Thailand. My co-pilot is 5'2" 120. My back seats routinely carry ladies that are about the same or less, no problems fitting them. Although getting in and out isn't easy, that's for sure. So for longer rides, no problem. Don't pack the Camaro to go to the 7-11. Also, of note, these seats are way better than my Type B RX-7, which had seats that would literally only fit the butt of an elementary school child. Also, I'm only 5'8" 165. So these are functional back seats if you don't have anybody that's over 5'6" and/or with a BMI over about 30.
Stereo
cluster
and many more nuance items
DISLIKES (and I really dislike these things)
#1) no cable for the throttle. I DON'T LIKE THE COMPUTER CONTROLLING THE THROTTLE. When I want to pump the throttle and I get half of what I want, I'm pissed. I don't want the car thinking for me. It wants to save gas at times, but I want people to notice me (I'm advertising on the car). If my car was a manual, I'd be even more pissed about this.
#2) The Catch Can Issue. It's BS that we should have to install these (GM Should).
#3) Gas Mileage. I won't complain too much on this one.... Cause if you want to play, you must pay. And I love playing in this. But if you drive her, expect to pay for your play. I fill up every other day at 50 bucks a pop. $1500 bucks to drive her is definitely stepping into reality. But I do hate that they didn't put a bigger tank on her. My Rx-7 had a 78 liter tank, this is 72 liters. I'm considering putting another tank in the truck somehow. I get about 200 to 250 miles per tank depending on how many cars I need to pass.
#4) The trunk opening. This was just freak'in dumb. Couldn't GM have designed this a little differently. Even if it made costs go up a bit. I don't know about anybody else, but I'd pay more to have a decent way to jam luggage in the freak'in trunk. This has got to be the absolute worst design ever in the history of making cars. They should have sourced that engineering job out to some Japanese firm (Honda, they'd have done this right). Cause the design of the 6th Gen Camaro trunk is nothing short of a total debacle.
#5) She's heavy, my 406 horse Rx-7 was only 2700 pounds. The 1100 pound difference is very noticeable. I miss the nimbleness of that car. The power to weight is about the same. But the Cornering and steering of Miss America is surprisingly awesome. 11 years is a long time to keep the feel of the car in memory. I wish I had Miss iku iku to make a real time comparison to Miss America. That would be awesome.
WOULD DO IMMEDIATELY JUST BEFORE PURCHASE
Most of these were recommendations from others on this forum and have already shown to be correct and I thank God for their input. DISCLAIMER - I am not brand loyal to ANYBODY. If you want me to be brand loyal to you, manufacture or sell all the best quality stuff. I pick what has been the best for me irrespective of brand. I paid 250k for my ZL1 to be imported to Thailand, so cost savings is not a concern, best product is priority 1. So if I didn't list (buy) your product....sorry, it wasn't the best product for me.
#1) lift pad from ZL1 addons. This was a life saving recommendation when it was time to lift the vehicle. I really realized this when they lifted the vehicle and I looked under and saw that without these, it would be damn near impossible to lift the car properly and here in thailand these idiots would have certainly damaged my car. Absolute necessity...
#2) Rock Guards from ACS Composites. I don't like going Ghetto. If it didn't fit OEM style, I wasn't interested. ACS's rock guards look so good you will believe that they came from GM like this. It didn't matter to me that they cost a bit more then other brands. When I go out to my car in the garage, and I view my car with ACS's rock Guards, I'm pleased and not remorseful. Their quality and especially ACS's design (unlike the way GM designed the trunk) is absolutely top notch. YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU GOT THESE, I Promise. I am so glad somebody recommended ACS to me. Cause after I researched, it was obvious that these were as good as OEM (No Clips needed).
#3) Front License plate/tow Hook holder from ZL1 Addons, I got many mixed reviews when I asked the forum about this product. My feelings. I love it. It is strong, tight, and works beautifully. I highly recommend this piece. What I didn't realize is that my ZL1 came with a tow hook so I didn't need to buy a tow hook from ZL1 Addons, but ZL1 Addon's does look better than the stock one. The tow hook plate holder (if your state requires one for the front) is nice and keeps the plate out of the way of airflow.
The Catch Can recommendation:
There are many more things I plan on using. My Mighty Mouse Catch Can comes in today from DHL. Everybody said to get a Catch Can installed immediately but I lagged on this a bit. I will install this coming weekend and give a real review on this very shortly as I will put 10000 miles on this car in 4 months. I will show how much oil is in my intake now, and 10000 miles after the MM Wild Catch Can. I drive very fast everywhere so all will know the truth very shortly (I'm eager to settle this Elite/MM debate very visually) on this matter.
I will also, be installing the Jannetty Racing FlexFuel with remote tuning kit next week also. I'll let everybody know blow by blow how this goes. I've heard nothing but good things about Jannetty, so I'm excited to pay for their services.
AC spoiler and splitter, and a few more cosmetic items.
Lastly, never buy Continental Tires, no matter the price. I know they're not a preferred brand in the USA. But I got stuck with them cause Australia wouldn't allow the Goodyears (My ZL1 is imported from Australia). And I can honestly tell everybody they are worthless grip-wise unless all you plan to do is tour and never go past half throttle. They are very comfortable. But in the grip department they're lacking (1/2 throttle and I'm feathering).

Enjoy the Camaro man. I am. I put almost 4000 miles on Miss America in her first month. And Outside of a few annoying design issues I have, it's been nothing short of awesome. You have a ball.
Bangkok_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:42 PM   #39
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangkok_ZL1 View Post
I live in Thailand. My co-pilot is 5'2" 120.
Forum wants to see pic of your co-pilot haha

Quote:
She's heavy, my 406 horse Rx-7 was only 2700 pounds. The 1100 pound difference is very noticeable. I miss the nimbleness of that car. The power to weight is about the same. But the Cornering and steering of Miss America is surprisingly awesome. 11 years is a long time to keep the feel of the car in memory. I wish I had Miss iku iku to make a real time comparison to Miss America. That would be awesome.
You give up some nimbleness for solid reliability at higher power levels, and I drove a '93 RX-7 for 18 years so I know what we're both missing. The FD was an exciting car but also somewhat fragile in many respects, plus alot of the stock plastic parts were cheap Mazduh junk

Quote:
I paid 250k for my ZL1 to be imported to Thailand
I'm still amazed at this, you must be one of 3 owners or something

Quote:
There are many more things I plan on using. My Mighty Mouse Catch Can comes in today from DHL. Everybody said to get a Catch Can installed immediately but I lagged on this a bit. I will install this coming weekend and give a real review on this very shortly as I will put 10000 miles on this car in 4 months. I will show how much oil is in my intake now, and 10000 miles after the MM Wild Catch Can. I drive very fast everywhere so all will know the truth very shortly (I'm eager to settle this Elite/MM debate very visually) on this matter.
I'm not trying to start another battle, but it won't be completely settled without a back to back comparison, even though posting pictures of oil puddling on the blower housing are useful (which Elite owners have already done)

Quote:
Lastly, never buy Continental Tires, no matter the price.
Yep, they are junk. I'm currently running Bridgestone all seasons (which everyone here hates) because I get a good price on them and great warranty (including credit on tread life) from Discount Tire. Michelins are the best, I'm just not convinced it's that big of a difference on the street
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:42 AM   #40
Yves ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowman_ZL1 View Post
My son is 14 and 6ft tall. No way he’s fitting in my back seat. If they’re over 5ft tall, it’s not happening. It’s basically a 2 seater car.
Five years old... behind me... and 10 years old girl behind
My wife... perfect... but no place behind me for legs and I’m not so tall
Old 01-18-2021, 09:55 AM   #41
Yves ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangkok_ZL1 View Post
ok, my turn, LOL..... I bought a 19 without a choice. Luck I guess. Here's what I like and dislike and would do. First the disclaimer. I drive this car daily about 100 miles a day, mostly (80%) highway, touring.
The A10, Absolutely unreal tranny, the best ever to date. Can't rave enough about it. No paddles needed. The tranny does it all in too good of fashion.
The Adj. Susp, also nothing short of awesome.
Power, passing people is with ease.
Seats for 4 people. I live in Thailand. My co-pilot is 5'2" 120. My back seats routinely carry ladies that are about the same or less, no problems fitting them. Although getting in and out isn't easy, that's for sure. So for longer rides, no problem. Don't pack the Camaro to go to the 7-11. Also, of note, these seats are way better than my Type B RX-7, which had seats that would literally only fit the butt of an elementary school child. Also, I'm only 5'8" 165. So these are functional back seats if you don't have anybody that's over 5'6" and/or with a BMI over about 30.
Stereo
cluster
and many more nuance items
DISLIKES (and I really dislike these things)
#1) no cable for the throttle. I DON'T LIKE THE COMPUTER CONTROLLING THE THROTTLE. When I want to pump the throttle and I get half of what I want, I'm pissed. I don't want the car thinking for me. It wants to save gas at times, but I want people to notice me (I'm advertising on the car). If my car was a manual, I'd be even more pissed about this.
#2) The Catch Can Issue. It's BS that we should have to install these (GM Should).
#3) Gas Mileage. I won't complain too much on this one.... Cause if you want to play, you must pay. And I love playing in this. But if you drive her, expect to pay for your play. I fill up every other day at 50 bucks a pop. $1500 bucks to drive her is definitely stepping into reality. But I do hate that they didn't put a bigger tank on her. My Rx-7 had a 78 liter tank, this is 72 liters. I'm considering putting another tank in the truck somehow. I get about 200 to 250 miles per tank depending on how many cars I need to pass.
#4) The trunk opening. This was just freak'in dumb. Couldn't GM have designed this a little differently. Even if it made costs go up a bit. I don't know about anybody else, but I'd pay more to have a decent way to jam luggage in the freak'in trunk. This has got to be the absolute worst design ever in the history of making cars. They should have sourced that engineering job out to some Japanese firm (Honda, they'd have done this right). Cause the design of the 6th Gen Camaro trunk is nothing short of a total debacle.
#5) She's heavy, my 406 horse Rx-7 was only 2700 pounds. The 1100 pound difference is very noticeable. I miss the nimbleness of that car. The power to weight is about the same. But the Cornering and steering of Miss America is surprisingly awesome. 11 years is a long time to keep the feel of the car in memory. I wish I had Miss iku iku to make a real time comparison to Miss America. That would be awesome.
WOULD DO IMMEDIATELY JUST BEFORE PURCHASE
Most of these were recommendations from others on this forum and have already shown to be correct and I thank God for their input. DISCLAIMER - I am not brand loyal to ANYBODY. If you want me to be brand loyal to you, manufacture or sell all the best quality stuff. I pick what has been the best for me irrespective of brand. I paid 250k for my ZL1 to be imported to Thailand, so cost savings is not a concern, best product is priority 1. So if I didn't list (buy) your product....sorry, it wasn't the best product for me.
#1) lift pad from ZL1 addons. This was a life saving recommendation when it was time to lift the vehicle. I really realized this when they lifted the vehicle and I looked under and saw that without these, it would be damn near impossible to lift the car properly and here in thailand these idiots would have certainly damaged my car. Absolute necessity...
#2) Rock Guards from ACS Composites. I don't like going Ghetto. If it didn't fit OEM style, I wasn't interested. ACS's rock guards look so good you will believe that they came from GM like this. It didn't matter to me that they cost a bit more then other brands. When I go out to my car in the garage, and I view my car with ACS's rock Guards, I'm pleased and not remorseful. Their quality and especially ACS's design (unlike the way GM designed the trunk) is absolutely top notch. YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU GOT THESE, I Promise. I am so glad somebody recommended ACS to me. Cause after I researched, it was obvious that these were as good as OEM (No Clips needed).
#3) Front License plate/tow Hook holder from ZL1 Addons, I got many mixed reviews when I asked the forum about this product. My feelings. I love it. It is strong, tight, and works beautifully. I highly recommend this piece. What I didn't realize is that my ZL1 came with a tow hook so I didn't need to buy a tow hook from ZL1 Addons, but ZL1 Addon's does look better than the stock one. The tow hook plate holder (if your state requires one for the front) is nice and keeps the plate out of the way of airflow.
I will also, be installing the Jannetty Racing FlexFuel with remote tuning kit next week also. I'll let everybody know blow by blow how this goes. I've heard nothing but good things about Jannetty, so I'm excited to pay for their services.
AC spoiler and splitter, and a few more cosmetic items.
Lastly, never buy Continental Tires, no matter the price. I know they're not a preferred brand in the USA. But I got stuck with them cause Australia wouldn't allow the Goodyears (My ZL1 is imported from Australia). And I can honestly tell everybody they are worthless grip-wise unless all you plan to do is tour and never go past half throttle. They are very comfortable. But in the grip department they're lacking (1/2 throttle and I'm feathering).

Enjoy the Camaro man. I am. I put almost 4000 miles on Miss America in her first month. And Outside of a few annoying design issues I have, it's been nothing short of awesome. You have a ball.

I’m nearly thinking like you ...

Price is about 130000 dollars for me (all included)
For thé catch can, I agree
For thé gm performance quality also... that’ s not normal to have angles wheels with a bad degree or others things I could read as the front screws not screwed correctly...
thé trouble is also that there is no warranty for me...
So I wish I were n’y have any trouble with my babe

For thé throttle, it’ si
Exactly What I tried to explain on another topic... I also don’t like to have not thé control as I want... and as some say it’ s à real track car
Old 01-18-2021, 10:13 PM   #42
Dathomas94

Drives: Camaro 2021 ZL1 6 speed ragtop
Quote:
Hey guys, I have decided to get a ZL1 in a year or two to have as my fun car. I had a C6 Z06 but when the family grew to 3 it hardly ever got used, so I sold it with the intention of getting a sports car with 2 extra seats down the road. I plan on getting a 2017 or newer ZL1 with the 6 speed and without the 1LE package. What differences, if any, are there for each year? Would you recommend looking for one year over another? Is there anything you dislike about your ZL1? What is your favorite part of owning a ZL1? Are there any common problems to watch out for when buying?
I have a 21 ZL1 ragtop and my kids love it 12-13. Yes I have to slide up to fit them in (I’m 5-9) but as a parent it’s the least of our sacrifices
Dathomas94 is offline   Reply With Quote