Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 03-16-2017, 11:02 AM   #43
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
It seems to me that I recall one of the bigger auto enthusiast mags interviewing Juechter at either the reveal or another show, I forgot the question, but Juechter stated that the z06 was at about the limit of what they can do with the current platform. But that was a couple of years ago. I'm sure I could find it, but you know...time.

Along that line, we hear often that with the power level in the Z06 on that chassis that putting that power to the ground can be a little too much, I guess is the way to put it.

Then there is the cooling thing, but I really don't know if mid engine would make that better or worse. Though it would allow for more options in terms of transmission and or AWD/Hybrid tech, which, when getting into that price point needs serious consideration for that customer base.

It was mentioned that it might be a Cadillac, as they are currently racing a mid engine car, but then there was a mid engine C6 Corvette running in a series as well.

What does any of that have to do with the ZL1-1LE? Maybe nothing, except, if GM is setting the stage for a mid engine Corvette, they must know that it will alienate a lot of current and potential Corvette customers, as they will either not want a mid engine car, or can't or won't pay for it.

So, here is your Camaro. The performance differential of the Gen6 vs the Corvette is now measured by a micrometer rather than a yard stick. Bringing this car, the ZL1-1LE out, and if it can actually outrun the fastest Corvette, is pure marketing genius to set this stage. The Corvette moves up to that "Supercar" country club, and the Camaro, stigma removed, becomes the working man's supercar.

This is pure opinion on my part.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:38 PM   #44
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
It seems to me that I recall one of the bigger auto enthusiast mags interviewing Juechter at either the reveal or another show, I forgot the question, but Juechter stated that the z06 was at about the limit of what they can do with the current platform. But that was a couple of years ago. I'm sure I could find it, but you know...time.

Along that line, we hear often that with the power level in the Z06 on that chassis that putting that power to the ground can be a little too much, I guess is the way to put it.
That was in the article that Bhobbs post at link to.

Quote:
Tadge Juechter had a PowerPoint presentation demonstrating, very credibly, that the C6 ZR1 was at the limit of usable rear-wheel-drive performance. The problem was really the front-mid-engine layout—we couldn't get the engine low enough and far back enough for proper weight transfer to the rear wheels under acceleration.

They wound up doing what Tadge said was absolutely necessary, moving the engine back another two, two and a half inches—which wasn't possible with the C6—and that's why the C7 has an inch more wheelbase, and get this, wonderful balance. Then we were saying, "Wouldn't it be nice if there was a mid-engine car called the Zora, north of 700 hp?"

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...gine-corvette/
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
Then there is the cooling thing, but I really don't know if mid engine would make that better or worse. Though it would allow for more options in terms of transmission and or AWD/Hybrid tech, which, when getting into that price point needs serious consideration for that customer base.

It was mentioned that it might be a Cadillac, as they are currently racing a mid engine car, but then there was a mid engine C6 Corvette running in a series as well.

What does any of that have to do with the ZL1-1LE? Maybe nothing, except, if GM is setting the stage for a mid engine Corvette, they must know that it will alienate a lot of current and potential Corvette customers, as they will either not want a mid engine car, or can't or won't pay for it.

So, here is your Camaro. The performance differential of the Gen6 vs the Corvette is now measured by a micrometer rather than a yard stick. Bringing this car, the ZL1-1LE out, and if it can actually outrun the fastest Corvette, is pure marketing genius to set this stage. The Corvette moves up to that "Supercar" country club, and the Camaro, stigma removed, becomes the working man's supercar.

This is pure opinion on my part.

That is what appears to be happening. The performance of the pony car segment is bumping up against the limits of what can be done with the front engine Corvette so it must move mid-engine, supercar.

Higher content/performance/prices of the gen6 Camaro is an attempt to change its perception so it can fill the void caused by those that can't/won't buy the new C8.

Camaro is tied to CTS/ATS so low end, volume sales isn't the objective. Perception is. GM already announced the next Alpha 2 Cadillac's before 2021 so the platform lives regardless of currently poor ATS/CTS/Camaro sales. CTS replacement CT5, ATS replacement CT3. We've recently heard gen7 Camaro will also be RHD

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/06/11-new-future-cadillac-vehicles-by-year-2021-details/

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:13 PM   #45
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I've also heard the same about the C7 Z06. That might be one of the reasons the LT4 only went to 650 hp, when the LT1 gained 25. The LT1 gained 6% over the LS3. If you apply that to the LT4 over the LS9, it should have been 688 hp.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:46 PM   #46
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post

That was in the article that Bhobbs post at link to.

That is what appears to be happening. The performance of the pony car segment is bumping up against the limits of what can be done with the front engine Corvette so it must move mid-engine, supercar.

Higher content/performance/prices of the gen6 Camaro is an attempt to change its perception so it can fill the void caused by those that can't/won't buy the new C8.

Camaro is tied to CTS/ATS so low end, volume sales isn't the objective. Perception is. GM already announced the next Alpha 2 Cadillac's before 2021 so the platform lives regardless of currently poor ATS/CTS/Camaro sales. CTS replacement CT5, ATS replacement CT3. We've recently heard gen7 Camaro will also be RHD

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/06/11-new-future-cadillac-vehicles-by-year-2021-details/
And that theory really puts me off. I really hope that is not the way it is going. The Camaro will NEVER be the Corvette. I don't care if its faster in every measurable it still is not a Corvette.

Obviously that is my opinion, but take me as a potential buyer. When the time is right, I hope to have a brand new Vette in my garage one day, its pretty much my dream car. Moving the Corvette up market out of reach of people who view it as America's sports car IMO would be a huge mistake.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:19 PM   #47
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
And that theory really puts me off. I really hope that is not the way it is going. The Camaro will NEVER be the Corvette. I don't care if its faster in every measurable it still is not a Corvette.

Obviously that is my opinion, but take me as a potential buyer. When the time is right, I hope to have a brand new Vette in my garage one day, its pretty much my dream car. Moving the Corvette up market out of reach of people who view it as America's sports car IMO would be a huge mistake.
Understood...my gut tells me there will be a ME car (Cadillac, Zora?), however there will still be a front-engine Corvette as well. There would easily be 2 different customers shopping them. Some will even move up from the FE Corvette to the ME car.