Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-15-2017, 08:53 AM   #15
Stormcloak
slower than you

Drives: 2012 C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
I have to admit...this car is growing on me, even with the gaudy wing.
Nothing gaudy about an effective, functional portion of a car.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:36 AM   #16
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
Actually no, the C7 Z06 with the Z07 package is touted as the Corvette version of a track package. The Z07 is the aero package that "supposedly" enhances the Z06's performance at the limit while on the track.
Z07 is aero...but it also includes Carbon Ceramic brakes, specific suspension tuning (very stiff), and sticky Sport Cup 2 tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
And a shock of unbelief shook the pillars of the Corvette forum.
Sounds like when they get some track times under their belts, there will be pillars shaken here, too!
Old 03-15-2017, 09:39 AM   #17
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Sounds like when they get some track times under their belts, there will be pillars shaken here, too!
But we never had pillars before.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:45 AM   #18
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
they were build, just to be shaken by the ZL1.
hrpiii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:47 AM   #19
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
they were build, just to be shaken by the ZL1.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:58 AM   #20
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtrod View Post
Dont get me wrong. I was always a vette guy until I got a 15' 1LE...Loved that car. It won me over to the camaro camp hard. The handling on the camaro does inspire confidence that may make you more able and willing to approach it's limits, or yours.

I consider myself a chevy guy and I love what camaro has been doing.

Theres no denying most people would qawk at a c7Z over any camaro...that being said, I realize that the only thing to be upset about when it comes to camaro greatness is that it makes it such a tough decision to make.

It has become harder than ever to decide camaro or corvette...even for die hard vette guys...I would dare to say that camaro has overtaken the corvette for "bang for the buck".

Im planning my chips to add a zl1 1LE to my garage...either that or a c6 z06 I can build.
Competition in Camaro's segment has elevated performance to the point where the Corvette advantage has diminished. Reviews of the Z06 suggest that the LT4's power overwhelms the C7 chassis whereas it does not the ZL1.

That is forcing Corvette to go mid-engine with a higher entry MSRP estimated at $80k... and higher Camaro prices seen in the gen6.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:08 AM   #21
tbrennyZL1

Drives: Corvette Z06
Quote:
Z07 is aero...but it also includes Carbon Ceramic brakes, specific suspension tuning (very stiff), and sticky Sport Cup 2 tires.

That aero isn't as aggressive as the wing or the front of the 1LE though. I would expect the 1LE to have even stickier tires and a more aggressive suspension today. Also, the carbon ceramic brakes have almost no stopping power advantage they just don't fade as fast as steel, most guys switch from carbon ceramic to steel due to cost and the lack of real performance gain. The Z06 will most likely be faster on tighter more technical tracks (barely!), but I would expect as the track gets bigger or has less turns the 1LE well having an advantage.
tbrennyZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:16 AM   #22
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
The Z06/Z07 may be faster for the first lap or two, but I don't see the ZL1 1LE being that far behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Competition in Camaro's segment has elevated performance to the point where the Corvette advantage has diminished. Reviews of the Z06 suggest that the LT4's power overwhelms the C7 chassis whereas it does not the ZL1.

That is forcing Corvette to go mid-engine with a higher entry MSRP estimated at $80k... and higher Camaro prices seen in the gen6.
Tadge Jeuchter said MSRP would go up $5,000 to convert the Corvette line up to mid engine. Where are you getting a base MSRP of $80k?
Old 03-15-2017, 10:20 AM   #23
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
I would still think the Z06/Z07 would be faster around most tracks with the ZL1 1LE (still hate that name) being right behind it.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:29 AM   #24
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
The Vette will remain King even though both cars are basically two seaters. Both cars have their own niche. Chevy has clearly upped their game this year. The cars are pretty damned impressive. I hope they stay on top of customer issues and ensure the dealers are ALL in on that program. GM has a vast inventory of unsold vehicles so that may slow things down production wise.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:03 AM   #25
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Tadge Jeuchter said MSRP would go up $5,000 to convert the Corvette line up to mid engine. Where are you getting a base MSRP of $80k?
See the "update" bar. I recall reading this elsewhere but not positive
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:06 AM   #26
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
See the "update" bar. I recall reading this elsewhere but not positive
Here's one of the articles I read. Tadge said MSRP would go up around $5k. Either way, I don't think we will know for a long time.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...gine-corvette/
Old 03-15-2017, 11:31 AM   #27
Mr. Wyndham

In a more recent interview, he flat out claimed there would be no Mid-engind Vette, and provided some reasons as to why. He then said something along the lines of "if such a car does exist, it must belong to another division." Very interesting, indeed.

I totally get the ingrained perspective that the Corvette will remain the fastest because well, Corvette!! That said, I think this ZL1 1LE will surprise a helluva lot of people.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:36 AM   #28
Bhobbs

Quote:
In a more recent interview, he flat out claimed there would be no Mid-engind Vette, and provided some reasons as to why. He then said something along the lines of "if such a car does exist, it must belong to another division." Very interesting, indeed.

I totally get the ingrained perspective that the Corvette will remain the fastest because well, Corvette!! That said, I think this ZL1 1LE will surprise a helluva lot of people.
He's trying to sell C7s. If there is talk of a mid engine Vette, people may hold on to their dollars.