Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-14-2017, 01:26 PM   #1
gilgamesh

Drives: 2015 Charger SRT Hellcat(732rwhp)
Thinking hard on a ZL1

Hey all,

Newbie here and possible first time bowtie owner. I am looking HARD at snagging up a new ZL1 to compliment my little fleet of horses. I have been a long time Dodge and Ford guy, never a big Chevy fan, but this new beast cannot be ignored, she is truly world class. I currently have a 740rwhp Charger Hellcat as a Daily driver and am looking to use the ZL1 as a fun car with Daily driving capabilities. I live in LA and make weekly trips to San Diego for business.

Here are my questions--

Does anyone use their ZL1 as a Daily driver? If so, how does it fair?

I am thinking about a convertible one....thoughts? Does the system work well or would any camaro veterans recommend I pass on that and do a coupe instead?

MODS!!! I am a mod freak...how easy, and reliably, would I be able to get the car to the 700rwhp level and would it last?

What do you love/hate the most about the car?

Interior....as beautiful as the ZL1 is outside, the inside is very cheap looking IMO...how do you guys feel about it? Does shit break on the inside?

WOULD YOU BUY YOUR ZL1 AGAIN?!

Thanks in advance.
gilgamesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:29 PM   #2
neenja_jenkins

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
  1. It's my DD. Way better of a DD than my old 1LE. It's tame when you want, and then code brown when you're feeling brave.
  2. Not a convertible, so can't comment.
  3. It comes with 650hp, so I don't see why it would be too difficult to get a few more horses out of it. There are a few members out there already pushing 700+ I believe. But honestly the car is probably too new to tell whether it will last 10yrs+ with big horsepower numbers. I would suspect 700 - 750hp to be no sweat though.
  4. It's a great car, but everyone here will be a smidge biased. My only "complaint" is that it's a bit quiet unless you're getting on it. (and I miss the lope my old Camaro had).
  5. Different strokes I guess, because I've always thought the Hellcat interior was awfully cheap looking/feeling ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . Really all you can do is to go sit in one and decide for yourself. For me the 6th gen Camaro is one of the first to not feel like a cheap muscle car interior (to be fair this list of 'acceptable' muscle car interiors is pretty small). This will probably boil down to whether you love or hate alcantara though. If you're on the hate side, I doubt you'd like the ZL1 interior. But again, the car is too new to know whether the interior will hold up to years of abuse. So far, I don't know of any widespread issues off the top of my head though. I could be wrong though.
  6. Without a doubt. I shopped quite a few different cars (some even twice the price), but the ZL1 felt like the best 'all-around' car, and felt like a steal for the price.
neenja_jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:51 PM   #3
6Foot4Honda

Drives: 2017 ZL1
not that my opinion counts since I didnt get mine yet..just a few weeks to go.

But its going to be my DD, and as far as mods im not sure how crazy im gonna go..i wanna keep it clean and stock in case for some reason I want to sell it (doubt it)
Old 03-14-2017, 05:42 PM   #4
ZL1black
ZL1Black

Drives: 2017 ZL1 1973 Camaro Audi A8L 4.0
Picked up my ZL1 a few days ago and decided to drive to work today attempting to make the 1500 break in miles as soon as possible. In my opinion, it would make an awesome daily driver. Can not comment on the vert as I have the coupe. Also, made the decision to buy a car without the sunroof due to head room.

Love everything about the car. Sold a C5 Z06 to buy the ZL1. Thought I would miss it. Not the case. The ZL1 brings a smile to my face. In fact, I prefer the ZL1 over the C7 Z06 due to room and quality of the seat.

Interior is actually very good. The suede and leather mix is excellent.

I would definitely buy again.
ZL1black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:58 PM   #5
trident
No Hope

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Black Coupe, 2017 Z06,
Opinion

One week, 156 miles, convertible. Traded a 2017 Mercedes SL550 for the ZL1 6 speed. I have driven Mercedes for the last ten years and owned a GTS, S63, S550 and a couple others. The ZL1 is the fun car, not a DD. Compared to the Mercedes GTS it is much more fun to drive and a hell of a lot more power. I do wish that I had the automatic and that is the only thing I would change. For the price, I think that the car is well worth it, many features that Mercedes doesn't even have. Also, I think if I did a do over I probably would have just purchased the coupe and saved some money. There is a dealer in Miami that is advertising $9,000 below MSRP which if correct is a real deal. I have thought of buying another if correct and no additional add on. I originally thought of buying a Yenko 800HP Camaro, but for the price of the ZL1, 650HP, warranty and ELW I decided the ZL1 was the better choice. So, my recommendation is coupe, automatic, Extended warranty and no mods. 650 HP is more than enough.
Attached Images

trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:53 AM   #6
jarhead420

Drives: 2021 ZL1 Convertible
I say go for it. The ZL1 is a wonderful daily driver. This is my second ZL1 for daily driver duty.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:23 AM   #7
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
I picked up mine this past weekend. Can't wait for the temps to get back to normal so I can finally drive it to work. It will do partial DD duty as my main dd ride is my '06 4runner. 650 hp and 650 torque is plenty...I like to mod my cars too, but not doing a single thing. I think you're wrong about the interior, but that's just my opinion, I happen to like the interior. It is much better looking and the fit/finish compared to the other domestic brands is also better. Is it perfect, no, but IMHO there is not any interior that doesn't have some issue no matter who makes the car/suv/truck etc... Love everything about it.... Never had a convertible, but if that's what you want, go for it. Would I buy a ZL1 again....absolutely .

Last edited by nancygrl; 03-15-2017 at 09:39 AM.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:25 PM   #8
305guaji

Drives: Focus RS
I checked out a black ZL1 yesterday. Its very nice. Love the sound of the exhaust, though I didnt test drive it. Interior quality is fine for me. I prefer leather to the suede material on the steering wheel. Coming from a "hot hatch" the interior is smaller, especially the back seat. I like the versatility of my hatch and like the pure sports car feel of the ZL1.
305guaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:08 AM   #9
datboi448

Drives: 2013 2LT RS, 2017 ZL1
If I'm not mistaken, the only drawback from getting the convertible is that you cannot get the PDR option. I've read that it can be docile if you want it and a beast on demand.

I don't think MPG should be something for me to mention, but it seems the consensus is that you will get more than advertised on the sticker.

Not sure if anybody has swapped a SC yet but there are def ZL1s out there that have been modded quite a bit already. You may want to look at ZL1tommy's build
Old 03-16-2017, 12:13 AM   #10
Diggitydog

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Nightfall Convertible M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by datboi448 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the only drawback from getting the convertible is that you cannot get the PDR option. I've read that it can be docile if you want it and a beast on demand.

I don't think MPG should be something for me to mention, but it seems the consensus is that you will get more than advertised on the sticker.

Not sure if anybody has swapped a SC yet but there are def ZL1s out there that have been modded quite a bit already. You may want to look at ZL1tommy's build
Convertible does not offer PDR or the ELSD as it doesn't fit around the convertible bracing. The vert has a mechanical LSD. There is a significant amount of clamping force available on the ELSD vs the mechanical. My take is that a convertible wouldn't likely be in the same kind of track scenario so it's unlikely a difference will be noticed on regular street driving. This is only from reports though, not experience. Vert is 200 lbs heavier than a coupe.
Diggitydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:12 PM   #11
gilgamesh

Drives: 2015 Charger SRT Hellcat(732rwhp)
Thank you all for your feedback and wisdom. I appreciate it.
gilgamesh is offline   Reply With Quote