Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 11-08-2016, 05:33 PM   #29
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
I've had this annoying rattle when I'm going down older more porous roads at slower speeds. I think it's that same piece (passenger side) rattling around in its channel. Anyone else have this issue with their vert?
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:26 AM   #30
RallyHT

Drives: 2017 2LT RS Conv V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrockr View Post
I've had this annoying rattle when I'm going down older more porous roads at slower speeds. I think it's that same piece (passenger side) rattling around in its channel. Anyone else have this issue with their vert?
I am not having that issue - yet. But my dealer called and said they had the parts in to fix my issue. Wish me luck ....

Order Help on Camaro6
RallyHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 12:22 AM   #31
RallyHT

Drives: 2017 2LT RS Conv V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyHT View Post
I went out and looked closer are my 2017. It looks like my binding issue is not on the flap you trimmed - you can see it appears there is ample space (maybe too much). Mine appears to be binding on the metal roller. Definitely not something I am going to attempt to dig into.

Still waiting on 'parts' the dealer had to order. I suspect, they are back for a third try to redesign a solution that works and that we won't see a fix for a while.
The dealer fixed it. They said they had seen several and parts are in stock to order. Sounded like a common issue. The only detail I got was on they invoice copy. (Yes, it was covered under warranty)
Attached Images

Order Help on Camaro6
RallyHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 06:10 AM   #32
nukemustang

Drives: 2017 Raptor, 2017 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrockr View Post
I have this too, but I have only noticed it when I am by myself. mine is a metallic noise though. I pulled the whole top trim cover off and saw the seat belt ring, where the "loop" that the seat belt goes through prior to passing out the plastic piece, is bolted to the car kinda swivels and I *think* it might be that. I had some weatherstripping foam and shoved it between the metal ring and the body, but haven't had a chance to drive it yet.

If not, I will pull the top trim piece off and try insulating more metal-to-metal contact areas. if it is one thing I hate.... its rattles.... they very hard to pinpoint and fix...

SOLD:2016 2SS Red Hot Convertible with black metallic rally stripes
SOLD:2011 Silver Ice Metallic 1SS/RS Convertible. Completed modifications: installed factory HUD, deleted AFM/DOD, Dynatech LT coated headers with high flow cats, Solo Cat back exhaust, CAI inc. intake, Vmax ported TB, SIM quarter flares/splash guards, steering wheel radio controls, PDIM iPod interface in center console, RX catch can, JRE cold air scoop, windshield washer bottle relocation.
nukemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 06:19 AM   #33
nukemustang

Drives: 2017 Raptor, 2017 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyHT View Post
I went out and looked closer are my 2017. It looks like my binding issue is not on the flap you trimmed - you can see it appears there is ample space (maybe too much). Mine appears to be binding on the metal roller. Definitely not something I am going to attempt to dig into.

Still waiting on 'parts' the dealer had to order. I suspect, they are back for a third try to redesign a solution that works and that we won't see a fix for a while.
Thats not a metal roller, BTW. that is a pos plastic roller with a metal flat spring wound around it. Mine broke there, one of the little "ears" that stick out of the roller that it rotates on, broke off, so it was in there cockeyed and would not retract and pull the flap back. I thought since the dealer is fixing it, i will see if there is a way to permanently fix it, so i fished the broken drum out of the convertible top well and pulled the spring off. Well, the drum is not solid. It looks like it, but behind the cover it is an open drum with "X" supports inside of it. I was hoping it would be solid, so I could just replace the plastic ears with some aluminum rod from lowes. I started drilling and quickly started going sideways and then realized it wasn't a solid plastic drum, but the hollow drum with the "X" supports inside of it. If I had a lathe, I would attempt to make one out of solid aluminum.

SOLD:2016 2SS Red Hot Convertible with black metallic rally stripes
SOLD:2011 Silver Ice Metallic 1SS/RS Convertible. Completed modifications: installed factory HUD, deleted AFM/DOD, Dynatech LT coated headers with high flow cats, Solo Cat back exhaust, CAI inc. intake, Vmax ported TB, SIM quarter flares/splash guards, steering wheel radio controls, PDIM iPod interface in center console, RX catch can, JRE cold air scoop, windshield washer bottle relocation.
nukemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:41 PM   #34
blpadge2

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
ted a thread about this back in Jan. of 2017. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483973 Mine broke after I had had the car about 3 months. Took the dealer and GM about two months to finally fix it. Well, today the replacement part failed after 18 months.

Back on the merry-go-round which will be worse since the dealership has changed hands since then.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:55 AM   #35
vwatson

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro
Angry same issue

I had the same issue 3 times already in a little more than 2 years!
I am afraid of that when I go out of warranty and that plastic lid break again... Every time I can hear the springs falling inside the car
vwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:03 AM   #36
ChickenPoop
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Plum Crazy Scat Pack Charger
Garbage design. Takes 2 minutes to replace. Do not put any pressure on that little ragged ass piece of plastic or it will fail quicker. I have 2 extras in my garage that I had ordered under warranty for when it happens again.
ChickenPoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:18 AM   #37
vwatson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenPoop View Post
Garbage design. Takes 2 minutes to replace. Do not put any pressure on that little ragged ass piece of plastic or it will fail quicker. I have 2 extras in my garage that I had ordered under warranty for when it happens again.
I never even touched that plastic and it fails by itself lol

Do you have instructions about how to replace it? Do not look easy for me to add springs or whatever goes into that... they always have to order parts when mine breaks
Old 12-10-2018, 11:38 AM   #38
ChickenPoop
Account Suspended

Hard to explain but it all comes as one piece. The panel that contains the sliding thing that breaks all the time is one piece, or at least that's how mine was replaced. It is held on by 5 spring clips and 1 push pin.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:00 PM   #39
vwatson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenPoop View Post
Hard to explain but it all comes as one piece. The panel that contains the sliding thing that breaks all the time is one piece, or at least that's how mine was replaced. It is held on by 5 spring clips and 1 push pin.
interesting, can you order replacements parts under warranty at willy willy?
Or you paid for it
Old 12-10-2018, 12:27 PM   #40
ChickenPoop
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwatson View Post
interesting, can you order replacements parts under warranty at willy willy?
Or you paid for it
BIL is service manager. They just kinda showed up. Weird thing is GM Parts Direct shows the parts as being discontinued, both left and right sides, which we know is bullshit.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:47 PM   #41
Jerry's 2LT

Drives: 2LT, Blue Velvet, Kalahari, Convert
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwatson View Post
I had the same issue 3 times already in a little more than 2 years!
I am afraid of that when I go out of warranty and that plastic lid break again... Every time I can hear the springs falling inside the car
Nobody talks about this but the reason mine was failing was due to a faulty hydraulic cylinder. This caused the top to be raised and lowered at a slight angle. That minor angle was enough to cause the frame hinges below that flap to move at an angle and interfere with proper action.

To see if this is the cause of your repeated failures, try standing at the rear of your car and use the remote to lower the top. Pay close attention to see if the movement is not a smooth action or there is a slight angle from one side to the other.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:04 AM   #42
vwatson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry's 2LT View Post
Nobody talks about this but the reason mine was failing was due to a faulty hydraulic cylinder. This caused the top to be raised and lowered at a slight angle. That minor angle was enough to cause the frame hinges below that flap to move at an angle and interfere with proper action.

To see if this is the cause of your repeated failures, try standing at the rear of your car and use the remote to lower the top. Pay close attention to see if the movement is not a smooth action or there is a slight angle from one side to the other.
I've noticed this before... but that is not the case all the time. It starts doing it for some time before completely failing I guess. When they fix it works normally for some time until it starts making noises and dropping the spring once again